Stucco or Vinyl siding

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2019, 06:06 PM
Default Selling agents

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We were on Sunset and the designers that were block had roof damage, the vinyl sided homes were condemned and the vinyl patio villas the next street over were destroyed. After seeing the devastation I would much rather be in a block home when a tornado hits without notice. Plus they look so much nicer. Selling agents use the term " all stucco street" as a selling point but you'll never here them say "all vinyl siding street".
Never allow yourself to forget they are SALESMEN. If, you prefer SALESPEOPLE. There job is to SELL. If they have a block home to sell they will tell you that is better. If they have a sided home to sell they will tell you that is better.

You need to do your own research. I'm sure things are different in Florida. We currently have a block home. Our previous home had vinyl siding and the siding was 40 years old. Rain, snow gloom of night for 40 years it was not cracked etc.

Able to stand up to winds etc. The building code was changed about 2011 where a home need to be designed to stand up to higher winds. Others mentioned a roof blowing off a block home.
On a more recently built home the code demands the roof be better secured. For people who have added stuff like a solar pool heater, solar collector, dish antenna-I wonder about the effect-the liability etc.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:55 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Never allow yourself to forget they are SALESMEN. If, you prefer SALESPEOPLE. There job is to SELL. If they have a block home to sell they will tell you that is better. If they have a sided home to sell they will tell you that is better.

You need to do your own research. I'm sure things are different in Florida. We currently have a block home. Our previous home had vinyl siding and the siding was 40 years old. Rain, snow gloom of night for 40 years it was not cracked etc.

Able to stand up to winds etc. The building code was changed about 2011 where a home need to be designed to stand up to higher winds. Others mentioned a roof blowing off a block home.
On a more recently built home the code demands the roof be better secured. For people who have added stuff like a solar pool heater, solar collector, dish antenna-I wonder about the effect-the liability etc.
If you want to work with an agent that won't tell you which is better and will show you only what you want to see contact Beth Pope, great lady, great agent.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:15 PM
Sage

You save a little money on insurance with a block home.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
If you want to work with an agent that won't tell you which is better and will show you only what you want to see contact Beth Pope, great lady, great agent.
I second the Beth Pope praise.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

My wife wanted brick as she said she would feel safer so we bought brick. You do lose a few feet of living space because the walls are thicker.

Last edited by Garywt; 04-21-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
My wife wanted brick as she said she would feel safer so we bought brick. You do lose a few feet of living stace because the walls are thicker.
OK. I'll bite. Where are brick homes in The Villages?
Old 03-29-2019, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,923 Times in 2,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
First house new built in April 2010 medium gray vinyl, no fading, or issues with losing siding, or damage from any maintenance. Need power washing about every six months. About $60. Today looks about the same as when we purchased.
Second house new, built in November 2012, med beige vinyl, same as first house, no issues.

Third house preowned, built in December 2009, stucco. In 2015 When we purchased, paint was badly faded, on two sides, but otherwise looked ok. Had professionally painted in 2017, for $3995. Since it’s not builders grade paint, it should not have the fading issues of the first color.
The stucco does cost us about the same to heat and cool as the first two, even though it is the largest home. All three have hip roofs, None were effectived by the hurricane.
They wanted 6K to paint my small CYV with watered down spay gun. I painted it myself, took about 16 hours, 6 gallons paint, and rollers for about 450. This also included my wall inside and out and I live on corner.
Old 03-29-2019, 02:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
My wife wanted brick as she said she would feel safer so we bought brick. You do lose a few feet of living stace because the walls are thicker.
Bricks are material to cover up the framing, same as rock, or stucco, wood, or vinyl. Block house is cinder blocks walls, framed house is 2 by 4s. There also concrete reinforcements poured frames.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Bricks are material to cover up the framing, same as rock, or stucco, wood, or vinyl. Block house is cinder blocks walls, framed house is 2 by 4s. There also concrete reinforcements poured frames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
I think the brick homes are in the village next to the cement homes,
Old 03-29-2019, 11:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougB View Post
I think the brick homes are in the village next to the cement homes,
In Oklahoma when the 5.8 earthquake hit close to brick homes all the brick and the fireplace came crumbling down. The framing was left where the fireplace didn’t crush it.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
They wanted 6K to paint my small CYV with watered down spay gun. I painted it myself, took about 16 hours, 6 gallons paint, and rollers for about 450. This also included my wall inside and out and I live on corner.
I'm not sure who you got a quote from, but 6K is ridiculously high. Designers can be done for 3k-4k. Most CYV's are in the 1,700-2000 range, by reputable, well-established painting companies here in TV.
Old 03-30-2019, 08:35 PM

So do all the homes with Stucco siding have solid brick walls?
Old 03-30-2019, 09:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
So do all the homes with Stucco siding have solid brick walls?
No. Stucco homes in The Villages have mainly concrete block behind the stucco or solid poured concrete. SOME portions above the main walls that are stucco, such as gables above the garage and the taller front entry areas often have OSB behind the stucco. These areas can be long term areas of concern.

In other communities, like StoneCrest, they have many homes that are stucco over wood frame. In some areas you can also find the problematic EIFS construction.

Without getting into a long discussion, stucco over concrete block or solid poured concrete is much better than stucco over wood here in Florida.

On this thread, I think there may be some confusion between the term "brick" and "concrete block".....

Frank
Old 03-31-2019, 07:32 AM
Default I totally agree

Quote:
As my dad said, you never win an argument with your wife.
Long after you have forgotten it, it will come back 20+ years later.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:45 AM
Default Brick homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
They've not built brick homes in a very long time. A guess last done in the 1950's. What people call a brick home is a brick layer over a frame built home.

We have a block home. I'm no building expert but, if you look at what the blocks are they are cast large cement blocks. The blocks are not solid. They usually have two or three air chambers cast into them saving weight and material-COST. Termites can and do use those tubes to get around undetected. Also, as a kid, we had some derelict block houses in the neighborhood. If, you hit the air chamber with a fairly light hammer you can punch a hole right into the block.
Closed Thread

Tags
stucco, houses, vinyl, type, owned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.