Stucco or Vinyl siding

Closed Thread
Old 03-31-2019, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Rango had it right on the first response. I've owned both siding and stucco, I'll stay with stucco 100% of the time. Sometimes I could hear my neighbors next door in the siding home, the stucco is very quiet. The siding does weather a bit and get dull too, don't think it doesn't. Yes, the stucco will need a paint job, but it's just all around the winner - and not much more costly, I'd say minimally.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:11 AM
Default Def want stucco

Block housing with stucco is much stronger than a wood frame with vinyl siding. During hurricanes, you want block and stucco construction. Also make sure the roof meets hurricane standards. Not only does this make you safer, but you get better insurance rates. Insurance companies know block house are stronger and hurricane rated roofs stay on.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpd3062 View Post
When looking at houses both new and used U see the same basic houses come in both styles but under a different model name. Of course the stucco is more expensive and probably sturdier with hopefully less upkeep I assume but never owned either type. Do y'all have some input for it against stucco vinyl that I may not know about? Thanks Ken
The really important thing is I suck go home and The Villages has a concrete block as it’s a wall structure where is the vinyl sided homes are wood frame holders. The concrete block on the shirt here and will resist hurricanes and other effects of better.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:02 AM
Veteran member

I have a poured concrete home covered with stucco. I feel more confident in the event of severe weather. Siding can be torn off a home in heavy winds, ie hurricanes and tornadoes (heaven forbid).
Old 04-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Veteran member

Phillips Villas in The Village of Mulberry are poured concrete with metal rod supports, not wood.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:41 AM

It is a personal choice. Block / Stucco cost more to buy and cost more in the long run. The stucco coating cracks and need to be filled and it needs to be painted every 6 - 8 years or so. Both styles need pressure washing about every 9 months since the north facing walls will get mildewed due to lack of sun. Some people believe a block house is stronger and safer. Walls may be stronger but when the roof gets torn off in a hurricane (wood roof attached the same exact way as a stick built/ sided house) you are left with an "above ground pool"! Purely comes down to personal choice and how much you wish to spend.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 AM

I bought a stucco house. When shopping for houses I felt the siding was pretty cheap looking and feeling. But what really did it for me was the reports I read about critters like snakes living behind the vinyl siding. That did it for me.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
I’ve had both. Honestly, don’t think you can go wrong with either. The newer vinyl is much improved and you should never have to paint. Also with vinyl you actually get a bit more total square feet. One neighbor I talked with (retired building contractor) preferred the vinyl and said the roofs of both were equal and during high winds (hurricanes) the roof would be first of the house to be damaged and go. He and I both had a hip roof. On the other hand, the block and stucco some like it for its curb appeal. Although I have bought and sold a number of houses, I don’t pretend to know “construction” practices and rely on others expertise who build for a living. From what I’ve been told, the houses here in The Villages are built to code and well built from a construction point of view. Again, my experence you can’t go wrong with a block/stucco or a viny sided house here in The VILLAGES. It’s personal choice.
Good comment, you gave Pro's & Con's on both & I agree with you 100%. Yes, it's personal choice!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It's a personal choice! If you like a layout of a certain home, it may only come in vinyl, like the designer I own. Vinyl is sturdier now than the older ones. Stucco does look better but Village realtors told us that stucco should be painted about every 5 yrs. but I can tell you right now just from driving around, you can see where some of the stucco homes have had cracks repaired. That doesn't make them bad, but just making my point, they'll need painted. Buy a home that you like, either one it'll be a home to enjoy for years to come!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:36 AM

Hurricane Andrew in 1992 in south Florida the vinyl homes were dispersed all over Dade county, in pieces, but the slabs remain. Block homes did much better with less damage. I would not consider vinyl or wooden homes after seeing that! The roofs are all strapped now which should help keep them attached. Considered moving back to Ft. Lauderdale, but insurance is hard to come by and expensive. A tornado, like the one that roared through The Villages destroyed everything it touched, regardless of construction. Goodbye Mallory CC and the weeks of blue tarps on damaged roofs.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:22 AM

Stucco needs to be painted. Vinyl will get green algae on it and will need to be cleaned. Stucco homes are often more desirable and will command a higher resale price over vinyl
Old 04-01-2019, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Having always previously owned either brick, premium wood siding or stucco houses, it was an adjustment at first when we found the perfect house/in the perfect location (for us)...but it had vinyl siding.

I still chuckle thinking of my wife's comment shortly after moving in, where she was ecstatic, but commented; "I never imagined I would be so happy...living in a plastic house."

Almost seven years later now...no regrets whatsoever.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1938 View Post
Hurricane Andrew in 1992 in south Florida the vinyl homes were dispersed all over Dade county, in pieces, but the slabs remain. Block homes did much better with less damage. I would not consider vinyl or wooden homes after seeing that! The roofs are all strapped now which should help keep them attached. Considered moving back to Ft. Lauderdale, but insurance is hard to come by and expensive. A tornado, like the one that roared through The Villages destroyed everything it touched, regardless of construction. Goodbye Mallory CC and the weeks of blue tarps on damaged roofs.
You know if we got directly hit by a hurricane, it wouldn't make any difference what kind of siding that the home had on it the roof's are all the same & it wouldn't make any difference what the wall stucture was. When Irma came through a couple of yrs. ago & the winds here was only 70 to 80 mph. The 4 or 5 homes around us we're stucco & 3 of them had roof damage & 1 had a good time part of their soffet's torn off, my vinyl house never lost 1 single shingle. Don't doubt your therory but stucco homes look better. Maybe we just had a better built home or just lucky we weren't in the direct path of the winds. Have a nice week!
Old 04-01-2019, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

We are too far inland to worry if a frame house or block house will survive. They both will.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2019, 05:58 PM

One more note - IF you do stucco - remember - if there is any settling - every crack will show up - sometimes really large. Look around - especially in the older sections that had time to settle. In the long run - stucco will cost you more - but usually looks more attractive. Personal choice - I've had both - I've had my siding re- painted and it looks like new. Yes I have to have it cleaned about every 6 months - at a cost of $60.
Closed Thread

Tags
stucco, houses, vinyl, type, owned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.