Studs in interior walls in our homes

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2020, 08:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
One of the fasteners to my master closet wire closet system has come loose from the dry wall and it is located at the end of the run of wire shelving. It is the type of fastener that does not have a head that a screw driver would go into. It is a smooth head so I'm not even sure how those fasteners work.

I would like to do a simple repair by using a long screw with a large head to hold up the wire shelving. I did this type of repair on a shelf in our NJ home and it was still going strong when we sold the house. I want to screw the screw into the stud but I'm not sure how to do that if the stud is metal. I could make this repair easily enough if it were a wood stud behind the wall.

Anyone know what type of studs our homes have in the interior walls? Our home is in Mallory Square and was build in 2007.
You’ve got to pre-drill a pilot hole, then use a screw & hope you hit the pilot hole. That’s the way I had to mount a TV mount to hang a 40 lb. TV.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
You’ve got to pre-drill a pilot hole, then use a screw & hope you hit the pilot hole. That’s the way I had to mount a TV mount to hang a 40 lb. TV.
If you're putting a 1/4 or 5/16" lag bolt into a wood stud for a tv mount, yes, you definitely want to pre-drill. But for the screws used in wire shelving clips, pre-drilling is not necessary and is a waste of time.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:42 AM

It depends on the builder. I was in Caroline in an Amarillo built in 2006. The eterior walls were wood studs but the interior was all metal studs. Metal studs do not hold screws very well. The wire shelf fastener is just a stubby nail that is just pushed into the plastic clip to expand the little wings. A hole is drilled in the drywall then the plastic clip is pushed in without the nail then the nail is pushed into the plastic clip to expand the wings.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:58 AM

I just had the same problem. The easiest fix i found was I pulled the nail in the middle of the hanger out with a small screwdriver. Then I twisted the plastic hanger in circles and got that out of the wall. The back of the hanger that was in the wall I used a hacksaw and cut it off. I then got 30lb screw in molly's. The plastic ones that you use a philips screwdriver to put into the wall. I then used the original hook. That I cut the back off that went into the wall on. I then mounted it with the screw for my new molly. Putting it all back up in the original hole . I had to fix 6 that were coming out. Not one was in a stud. Plus mine were for the shoes on the bottom shelf. I also had to fix everyone of the hangers that hold them on the 45 degree angle. The ones that clip on the top rail. All my hooks were broken and slid down.
Good luck with what ever you do.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:59 AM
John41

We live in Sabal Chase and our studs are made of folded sheet metal. Wood blocking would be needed for a screw to hold.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:05 AM

Forget the stud as you may not hit it. Mist are Metal Studs on interior walks. Use a Molly Bolt.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

You can buy preloaded wall clips made by Closet maid at most hardware stores. Replace the damaged clip with one or more new clips in a new place on the wall. No stud needed.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

My
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaAnn View Post
I just had the same problem. The easiest fix i found was I pulled the nail in the middle of the hanger out with a small screwdriver. Then I twisted the plastic hanger in circles and got that out of the wall. The back of the hanger that was in the wall I used a hacksaw and cut it off. I then got 30lb screw in molly's. The plastic ones that you use a philips screwdriver to put into the wall. I then used the original hook. That I cut the back off that went into the wall on. I then mounted it with the screw for my new molly. Putting it all back up in the original hole . I had to fix 6 that were coming out. Not one was in a stud. Plus mine were for the shoes on the bottom shelf. I also had to fix everyone of the hangers that hold them on the 45 degree angle. The ones that clip on the top rail. All my hooks were broken and slid down.
Good luck with what ever you do.
My goodness.....that was an "easy fix" hacksaw and all? I don't think I would have attempted that!

Last edited by coffeebean; 02-16-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

I did the repair using a heavy duty wall anchor....the type that has to be screwed into the wall with a Phillips head screw driver. There was no stud in the location I placed the anchor. I screwed in a long screw, let it stay out long enough to support the rung of the wire shelving and now the shelf is very stable.

I left the original "fastener nail" in the wall which is a couple of inches away and now it is not coming out of the wall because there is no more pressure on it. I know the original fastener is not really doing anything to support the shelf but i left it in for cosmetic purposes and not have to repair the wall if I pulled it out.

The reason I figured there was a stud behind the wall where I placed the anchor is because it was located at the end of the wall where this is an angle to it. Glad I got the job done.

Thanks again to all who have taken an interest in my plight and helped me along with my repair.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:10 PM

If u live in Mallory, u have wood studs. Builder was not using metal studs in 2006-07 time frame.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:02 AM

I recently installed lots wire shelving. I do not use the "nail in" fasteners provided because they are junk. I am a contractor and the following procedure works without fail: Purchase plastic "screw in" type drywall anchors. Determine placement. Make a small hole in the drywall with an "awl". Screw the anchor into the drywall. If the anchor does not go in all the way you have hit a stud, which probably is metal, so remove the anchor and use a sheet metal screw into the stud. Using the support clip provided, remove the nail, snip off the plastic arms and insert the screw provided with the anchor through the support clip and into the drywall anchor. Done.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
If you're putting a 1/4 or 5/16" lag bolt into a wood stud for a tv mount, yes, you definitely want to pre-drill. But for the screws used in wire shelving clips, pre-drilling is not necessary and is a waste of time.
Yea but those clips have a hole in them for a screw. Yes you’re right about one thing I did use a 1/4” lag bolts & anything you hang on the wall except a picture you have to drill a pilot hole because no screw will penetrate these metal studs. So how are saying how to mount any kind of shelving? It’s got to be fastened to the wall somehow!
Old 02-19-2020, 10:45 AM
Default Metal studs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
One of the fasteners to my master closet wire closet system has come loose from the dry wall and it is located at the end of the run of wire shelving. It is the type of fastener that does not have a head that a screw driver would go into. It is a smooth head so I'm not even sure how those fasteners work.

I would like to do a simple repair by using a long screw with a large head to hold up the wire shelving. I did this type of repair on a shelf in our NJ home and it was still going strong when we sold the house. I want to screw the screw into the stud but I'm not sure how to do that if the stud is metal. I could make this repair easily enough if it were a wood stud behind the wall.

Anyone know what type of studs our homes have in the interior walls? Our home is in Mallory Square and was build in 2007.
Little trick I learned with those metal studs...I like to use the self-tappers, so you need to drill a pilot hole into the stud first...you may have to use a couple of drill bits, starting with the smallest you have and then move up a one or two until you have a hole in the stud that will accommodate the screw...we did our own custom closet and I'm confident I could hang on the shelving and it would hold me
Old 02-19-2020, 12:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich42 View Post
If u live in Mallory, u have wood studs. Builder was not using metal studs in 2006-07 time frame.
We bought in Mallory in the fall of 2005. Our CYV had steel studs in all interior walls. Only the exterior walls had wood studs. I suspect this was standard home construction in TV long before we purchased.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
We live in Sabal Chase and our studs are made of folded sheet metal. Wood blocking would be needed for a screw to hold.
NOT TRUE , if you use sheetrock screws meant for metal studs.

Tags
screw, head, wire, repair, type

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.