Stupid Solution to narrow golf cart path

Closed Thread
Old 06-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Looks like Lady Lake in their engineering solution to the problem of real narrow golf cart paths has decided to fix things by repainting lines and making the car lanes narrower

Wow , now instead of a golf cart rolling over when it kisses the curb, we can now expect the specter of a head on crash of two cars\\

Widen the roadway !!!--expect some major lawsuits, from this exercise in stupidity& frugality
Not so stupid. Drive those roads sometime and you will see that 90%+ of the cart drivers are already driving with the left cart tires on or over the white line.
As for the wider lanes in Sumter Co; they were restriped when the road was resurfaced. The streets were not widened, and all seems to be going well since then.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Look again, I believe the entire roadway (curbs & all) was widened...up to about the mail station/pellet gun range?

Which is the whole point of the OP.

I drive that road (Rio Grande) in my "cart" 3-4 times a week from the Mallory CC area all the way down to the mall where Target is (most recent today) and the ROAD ITSELF sure sems to be the same width but as soon as you cross the county line, leave Sumter, the CART PATH gets very narrow all the way down to the end. It's obvious the Sumter side was recently repaved and re-striped but THE ROAD no wider until you get to the intersection at Morse but the GC lane sure is. Easy to tell when one of those landscape guys pulling those humongous trailers almost cross into the cart lane because they are so f'in wide.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I drive that road (Rio Grande) in my "cart" 3-4 times a week from the Mallory CC area all the way down to the mall where Target is (most recent today) and the ROAD ITSELF sure sems to be the same width but as soon as you cross the county line, leave Sumter, the CART PATH gets very narrow all the way down to the end. It's obvious the Sumter side was recently repaved and re-striped but THE ROAD no wider until you get to the intersection at Morse but the GC lane sure is. Easy to tell when one of those landscape guys pulling those humongous trailers almost cross into the cart lane because they are so f'in wide.
Well, you certainly use it a lot more than I ever have so maybe it's just that when they repaved, they only widened the cart lane by re-striping...and didn't widen the whole road?

I never drive it in my vehicle, so never even noticed or paid attention...if the vehicle lane widths were narrower.

If that's the case, then they traded one problem (carts getting thrown around from where the edge of the asphalt meets the concrete curb because of too narrow of cart lanes)...for another (vehicle lanes being too narrow to safely pass opposing vehicles).

Which in my mind, supports the OP's original point of it being..."a stupid solution."
Old 06-20-2018, 09:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts

Widening the golf cart lanes on Rio Grand and Del Mar in Lady Lake county is a great idea. I drive both roads frequently, both in a golf cart and a car. There is enough room to give golf carts another much needed half foot of road space and still be adequate room for cars. That is exactly what was done on the Sumter county stretch of Rio Grand. The way it is now, golf carts need to drive with the passenger side tire in the drainage culvert about an inch from the curbing to stay in the marked golf cart lane, very dangerous. I also agree that it would be a good idea to modify the curbings so that hitting one would be less likely to roll a golf cart.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Looks like Lady Lake in their engineering solution to the problem of real narrow golf cart paths has decided to fix things by repainting lines and making the car lanes narrower

Wow , now instead of a golf cart rolling over when it kisses the curb, we can now expect the specter of a head on crash of two cars\\

Widen the roadway !!!--expect some major lawsuits, from this exercise in stupidity& frugality

It’s not engineering, it’s politics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 03:30 AM
Sage

No I don't have a golf cart and never will, I prefer to ride in a/c comfort, protected by a body made of boron steel, ,air bags , and let a semi autonomous system accelerate and brake the car for me- and have a comfortable suspension that won't hammer my body

and most important--the knowledge that I may walk away from any potential accident I may be involved in while on TV 's roadways
Old 06-21-2018, 06:41 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

I think we have brought closure to this thread.........it was a great ride.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

We all need to just slow down problem solved..
The path was sufficient for over 30 years.
The only change is faster and faster golf carts
Their speed exceeds what they were intended for
Old 06-21-2018, 08:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I don't go that way all that often, but I distinctly recall noticing what looked like new asphalt...and what was obviously wider cart paths (about a year ago?).

I was a bit shocked, when it narrowed up and went back to the old asphalt (never thought about it being the county line like mentioned)...before the 4-way stop.

Will be anxious to hear if you can definitely say that the whole road is wider...and not just a wider painted cart path.
As mentioned by others, the road was not widened on Rio Grande, it was repaved by Sumter County and the cart lane was widened, and the car lane was narrowed a bit. I think that is what Lake County is intending. We drove through there tonight and it didn't seem to be an issue. Next time you go through there, see if you agree.☺
Old 06-22-2018, 08:58 AM
Gold member

Their not going to go that route. That was a suggestion to drastically cut down the costs. They will make the golf cart lane wider by taking the curb down and adding about two feet of pavement.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottoguy View Post
Their not going to go that route. That was a suggestion to drastically cut down the costs. They will make the golf cart lane wider by taking the curb down and adding about two feet of pavement.
Oh good! Then we will have the road construction to complain about for months.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
We all need to just slow down problem solved..
The path was sufficient for over 30 years.
The only change is faster and faster golf carts
Their speed exceeds what they were intended for

MANY "custom" type golf cars like Streetrod, Yesteryear, Atomic (and others) are wider, up to 55" wide that I have seen vs around 45" average for a "standard" GC. Those OLD narrow lanes can barely handle an "old fashioned" GC.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:32 AM

"just an after thought" Yeah, right!
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, expect, solution, narrow

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.