Suggestion re roofing problems...

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2017, 09:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Suggestion re roofing problems...

I lost about 40 hip, ridge shingles during the storm. All were on the hip ridge on the Southeast corner of my home on Belle Glade golf course . I was lucky enough to have a great handyman who does most anything. I drove to Sunniland Corp today in Leesburg and purchased the last bundle of ridge shingles they had that matched my home. The cost plus the nails and the roofing cement was less than $60. He came over today in the heat and replace all 40 shingles that I had lost. He said there were ridge shingles that were not even nailed on my roof prior to the storm. The roofing on my 1.5 year old 2700 Sq. Ft home was SACKS ROOFING! Today I have been sent several private emails re the installation of this company and subsequent blow off. Although the cost to me was less than my deductible ($500) I intend to make this company well known to TV's and report them to the Warranty Dept and the POA. Although I was out only a few hundred dollars I believe the quality of roof installation was the problem. I am adding my suggestion to those of you waiting for shingle replacement. Drive to Sunniland Corp behind the Publix in Leesburg on 27 South and just sit in the parking area. There are numerous contractors buying roofing for TV. They are small guy's but if you gave them a little tip there they may put you in front of others and do your repairs more quickly. This is not the way I secured my contractor but there was plenty of opportunity for me to do that today. A couple of business cards were Caleb Stauss at 352-236-2959 and I lost the other one but just go there and you will find a contractor. Hope this helps.

Last edited by TimeForChange; 09-14-2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 PM
Sage
Default Suggestion re roofing problems...

Glad it worked out for you.

Last edited by Wiotte; 09-14-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:06 AM
Veteran member

Sacks Roofing did our roof as a new house, also.

Boo-boo. Hiss-hiss.
Let that name reverberate in everyone's ear.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Sacks Roofing did our roof as a new house, also.

Boo-boo. Hiss-hiss.
Let that name reverberate in everyone's ear.

Contractor : habla usted Inglés ?

Day worker : no senor

Contractor : No matter, I have a job for you. Get in the back, we're gonna go roofing !

Day worker : gracias senor
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
Contractor : habla usted Inglés ?

Day worker : no senor

Contractor : No matter, I have a job for you. Get in the back, we're gonna go roofing !

Day worker : gracias senor
El gusto is suyo.

You are right -- "No matter."
And so it goes in The Villages!
Old 09-15-2017, 07:51 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,686 Times in 3,599 Posts

Lovely.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Lovely.
I have often said that you are very good at understanding the essence of things. I am grateful for your posts.

I am also so very glad that the problem that Time For Change has, was identified, and that he was able to remedy the situation quickly and economically and keep the impending rain out of his home.

I am also very glad that no roofs blew off, or people were not hurt by all of the falling trees around here.

There is much to be happy for on this beautiful day in The Villages.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:28 AM

Did you contact Sacks Roofing about your situations and did they refuse to help you ?
Old 09-15-2017, 09:56 AM
Gold member

I think the faster they put them up the less quality control they have. Might be a bad omen for Fenney.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:59 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I finally got through to Warranty yesterday to find the correct shingle for my house and to discover that my roofer is no longer in business. Sunniland Corporation in Leesburg had the shingles in stock so I purchased 3 packs from them that afternoon.

As it may soon rain, I was on the roof yesterday afternoon by 6 P.M. Peter, a neighbor up the street helped me finish the job under lights by 8:30 P.M. It was so dark we couldn’t see the ground. This morning I viewed our work from last night and did some touch up work using roof cement.

Is it a job well done? I didn’t install the top most shingle as the one below is tucked into the one above. It should keep the rain out until the next hurricane or till I pay a professional roofer to do it over in a month or two. My cost was $90 for the three bundles of shingles; I used ½ of them and about $40 for tools and misc. supplies.

While I was a part-time, summer job roofer many years ago, this will be my last roofing job. And thanks to all the neighbors for the help and prayers my roof should not leak for a while.

before
Dropbox - IMG_6222.JPG

after

Dropbox - IMG_6228.JPG
Old 09-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,301 Times in 864 Posts

You're a brave man......lol. The insurance company is handling ours and I just watched the guy tarp it.....no way I would go up on a roof. When the adjuster shows up (sometime this year I assume) he is going up there by himself also.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-15-2017, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I finally got through to Warranty yesterday to find the correct shingle for my house and to discover that my roofer is no longer in business. Sunniland Corporation in Leesburg had the shingles in stock so I purchased 3 packs from them that afternoon.

As it may soon rain, I was on the roof yesterday afternoon by 6 P.M. Peter, a neighbor up the street helped me finish the job under lights by 8:30 P.M. It was so dark we couldn’t see the ground. This morning I viewed our work from last night and did some touch up work using roof cement.

Is it a job well done? I didn’t install the top most shingle as the one below is tucked into the one above. It should keep the rain out until the next hurricane or till I pay a professional roofer to do it over in a month or two. My cost was $90 for the three bundles of shingles; I used ½ of them and about $40 for tools and misc. supplies.

While I was a part-time, summer job roofer many years ago, this will be my last roofing job. And thanks to all the neighbors for the help and prayers my roof should not leak for a while.

before
Dropbox - IMG_6222.JPG

after

Dropbox - IMG_6228.JPG
Allow me to shake your hand, sir. You ARE from OHIO!!! Great job and much courage and wonderful skills.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:17 PM

No he didn't and if he did we don't have power or phones right now and he keeps deleting my reply here
Old 09-18-2017, 12:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargee View Post
Did you contact Sacks Roofing about your situations and did they refuse to help you ?
If your post was directed at me, we have been in contact with a different (reliable) roofer.

We will have our roof repaired and then follow through with going for the jugular vein.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:39 AM

McHale Roofing in Fruitland Park is great!
Closed Thread

Tags
roofing, shingles, ridge, home, today

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.