Closed Thread
Old 05-12-2021, 08:26 AM
Default Suggestions for a good vacuum for wood floors

Thank you in advance!

You all have been very helpful!!
Old 05-12-2021, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,700 Times in 5,236 Posts

I have a Dyson cordless. Expensive, but it works very well. I would definitely go cordless.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:36 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

Commercial dust mop does a great job and it's fast once you get the hang of it. I used to clean stores as a kid and one owner showed me the correct way of using them and it's a breeze. My wife uses her Dyson and it does not do nearly as good of a job as the dust mop.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

We use an iRobot i7 to vacumn our tile floors. We have dogs that shed constantly and so the floor needs to be vacuumed every day, sometimes twice.

The i7 is a robot, we schedule it to run at the same time daily and then manually send it around when an extra run is needed. It is wonderful to not have to walk around behind a vacuum every day anymore. It works great.

We also have a Roomba Brava Jet mop that we schedule for once a day after the i7 vacuums. It damps mops the floors (it can also dry mop/dust mop) and works great.

Clean floors with almost no work. This is followed every 2 weeks by Great Job Pro cleaners cleaning our house and we are very satisfied with the results.

We have to empty the bin on the vacuum and add a cleaning solution to the mop and change its mopping pad. That is our daily floor cleaning work! We will never go back to manual vacuums again. We have used these for about 4 years now and are completely happy with them.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:11 AM

I have tried them all and I agree, I have the Roomba 980. Very expensive but worth it.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcolli View Post
I have tried them all and I agree, I have the Roomba 980. Very expensive but worth it.
We had a 980 first and loved it until I dropped it in a sink full of water (oops) and had to replace it.

It is probably the best price/performance Roomba you can buy. I got the i7, and we are happy with it, but I don't think it was worth the higher price than the 980.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:27 AM

I have a Roomba, but I love my Dyson cordless even more. It’s a pleasure to use.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We had a yellow Dyson that was great on getting dust and kitty hair off the wood and the tile, but it finally grew so old that my dear husband couldn't get parts for it anymore. Now we have a purple one.

It is SO rewarding after running it to see the cannister full of dust and hair. I LOVE our DYSON.

Works great on Carpet too.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

We have hardwood floors in 1/2 the house, tile in entry, kitchen, baths. Carpet in 2 of our bedrooms. We use a DYSON with all the attachments - it's WONDERFUL for everything. So easy to use. I hung the holder with the charger in our entry closet (put in A/C for charger). Just use and hang up, all charged for next use. Also have the holder for all the att there. So dependable. BTW, there is the att for carpet (motor driven head) and one for hardwood and tile (same/motor) with a sponge-like roller with brushes. Works GREAT! $$$$, but worth it.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,503 Times in 3,104 Posts

I use a broom and a dust-pan to get the loose stuff off, then swiffer wet jet, and a normal swiffer dustmop with the wet cloths. Vacuums won't get DIRT off the floor, just loose debris. If you want a dust-free floor, anything will work. If you want a CLEAN floor, you have to mop it.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
We use an iRobot i7 to vacumn our tile floors. We have dogs that shed constantly and so the floor needs to be vacuumed every day, sometimes twice.

The i7 is a robot, we schedule it to run at the same time daily and then manually send it around when an extra run is needed. It is wonderful to not have to walk around behind a vacuum every day anymore. It works great.

We also have a Roomba Brava Jet mop that we schedule for once a day after the i7 vacuums. It damps mops the floors (it can also dry mop/dust mop) and works great.

Clean floors with almost no work. This is followed every 2 weeks by Great Job Pro cleaners cleaning our house and we are very satisfied with the results.

We have to empty the bin on the vacuum and add a cleaning solution to the mop and change its mopping pad. That is our daily floor cleaning work! We will never go back to manual vacuums again. We have used these for about 4 years now and are completely happy with them.
We have the same....and no pets so we run it twice a week and the Brava once a week unless there is a specific need then we spot clean. We also have the self emptying unit which makes it easier to run when we are not home. Yes, it's expensive and I guess there is no way to justify it except it does a great job, can do it while we are not home and frees up more time for fun. Oh, and because we use the smart map I can organize the schedule so I can sleep in . The biggest benefit.....my wife loves it.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-12-2021, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post

Another vote for the Roomba. My wife didn’t want to have anything to do with it and now she swears it’s the best purchase we’ve ever made.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Old 05-12-2021, 07:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,063 Times in 2,743 Posts

Or you could just go with the Bill Murray method used in Caddyshack and open up the front door and fire up the leaf blower.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Or you could just go with the Bill Murray method used in Caddyshack and open up the front door and fire up the leaf blower.
I am going to try that when wife goes out!
Old 05-13-2021, 05:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

For less than $100 you can get a Eureka Mighty Mite canister vacuum . It has a 20’ cord and a segmented handle that you can lengthen or shorten and attachments for not only the hard floors but also for vacuuming sofas . You can actually get underneath most furniture with it. It has replacement bags which are pretty inexpensive. I bought my last one on line from Walmart for 69.99.
Closed Thread

Tags
suggestions, good, vacuum, wood, floors

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.