Suggestions for Paddock Square

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2018, 09:13 AM
Gold member

PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Portillos and a Dick's Sporting Goods for starters.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
With the high rents, you would never see a $5.00 burger. Check out 5 guys monthly rent and you will see why they have to charge higher prices.
The rent is not the reason for the price of the burger.

But always seems to pop up in discussions that the rent is always the bad guy...it is not....
Old 03-22-2018, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
With the high rents, you would never see a $5.00 burger. Check out 5 guys monthly rent and you will see why they have to charge higher prices.
Where do I check this out?
Old 03-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Five Guys is out of Arlington, Virginia. They opened in my hometown of Bel Air, MD in 2003, here is the Bel Air store order page. As you can see, a hamburger there is $7.29 and the little burger is $5.19, just click on the item for the price. I believe that's the same prices as Brownwood.

Five Guys Bel Air - Order Online
Old 03-22-2018, 11:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,475 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredman View Post
You are not going to see a McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy’s on a villages owned property. The return on investment isn’t there. The rent in the villages is high and they want a piece of the action
And every business that opens up in any leased property knows exactly what it will cost them for the location, there are no surprises on that side of the equation. If your business plan does not include all the cost of running the business and how to keep it afloat in the market you have a poor plan and will soon be out of business. You'll only sell some many costumes for dogs before the market dries up and you're out of business. For leased commercial space a fixed monthly plus a percentage of gross receipts is normal.

As for the restaurants that have opened and closed in Brownwood in the one corner location, their plans were lacking in at least two areas that I know of, the food and the service, kiss of death for a restaurant. The others there that survive, City Fire, WOB, etc. are proof of a solid plan that works.

The developer of the commercial properties knows what their property is worth. It is much cheaper for them to have shell space waiting for the right tenant than to drop their price, let in a business that will likely go under or bring in an undesirable element and have to spend a fortune on legal fees.

You can complain all you want about not having your favorite store or restaurant and then say you can't wait to go home to use them again, but realize that is a part of the problem. A business must not only be able to but also willing to survive the boom and bust cycle of the market place that is The Villages, a lot of chains don't and won't take on this kind of risk. For those that do take on this risk, those of us who live here all year greatly appreciate it as April through September are the best times to frequent them.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
And every business that opens up in any leased property knows exactly what it will cost them for the location, there are no surprises on that side of the equation. If your business plan does not include all the cost of running the business and how to keep it afloat in the market you have a poor plan and will soon be out of business. You'll only sell some many costumes for dogs before the market dries up and you're out of business. For leased commercial space a fixed monthly plus a percentage of gross receipts is normal.

As for the restaurants that have opened and closed in Brownwood in the one corner location, their plans were lacking in at least two areas that I know of, the food and the service, kiss of death for a restaurant. The others there that survive, City Fire, WOB, etc. are proof of a solid plan that works.

The developer of the commercial properties knows what their property is worth. It is much cheaper for them to have shell space waiting for the right tenant than to drop their price, let in a business that will likely go under or bring in an undesirable element and have to spend a fortune on legal fees.

You can complain all you want about not having your favorite store or restaurant and then say you can't wait to go home to use them again, but realize that is a part of the problem. A business must not only be able to but also willing to survive the boom and bust cycle of the market place that is The Villages, a lot of chains don't and won't take on this kind of risk. For those that do take on this risk, those of us who live here all year greatly appreciate it as April through September are the best times to frequent them.
Well stated!
Old 03-26-2018, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=600th Photo Sq;1525718]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJW View Post
Given the explosion of growth in the southern areas of The Villages, I think there are a number of things we need for Paddock Square and the Brownwood area.

For starters, we should have at least one Market Night.

It would be great to add a water feature of some sort. There is a lake in the middle and a pool with fountains in the north. Both the north and middle have little streams as well. It would be nice to add something in the south (maybe building upon the popularity of Larry).

Of course, we need more retail. Personally, we would love to see more restaurants like a Panera Bread (just like the other two squares), a Bonefish Grill and maybe a Carabbas.

While 44 is gradually showing signs of life, it would be great to have more shopping to eliminate some of the traveling all of us southerners have to do. My wife wants a Michaels (or Joanns or Hobby Lobby or AC Moore). A Trader Joe's and a Costco would be nice.

What would you like to see or add?

Real Simple and inexpensive: A " Hot Dog Stand " 7 days a week ( Nathans ) of course .
Old 03-26-2018, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

While on the Fenny trolley ride last weekend, the commentator indicated that a Trader Joe's was coming. I presume that it will be in the plaza near Southern Oaks, but that is pure conjecture on my part. Wherever it is built, it will be most welcome
Old 03-26-2018, 07:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
While on the Fenny trolley ride last weekend, the commentator indicated that a Trader Joe's was coming. I presume that it will be in the plaza near Southern Oaks, but that is pure conjecture on my part. Wherever it is built, it will be most welcome
That's my son's go to place in Silicon Valley when there is no time to cook but you don't want most fast food offerings. It would be a good fit here.
On the north end there is Sweet Tomatoes. Is it busy all year round?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutmama View Post
Where do you think the commentator got the information?
Old 03-26-2018, 07:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
That's my son's go to place in Silicon Valley when there is no time to cook but you don't want most fast food offerings. It would be a good fit here.
On the north end there is Sweet Tomatoes. Is it busy all year round?
Isn’t sweet tomatoes a salad place...not like a Trader Joe’s.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Isn’t sweet tomatoes a salad place...not like a Trader Joe’s.
It is a salad place. They don't compare in many ways.

I guess he talks about the premade salads he get's at trader joes and that's what made me ask.

I wonder if Sweet Tomatoes is busy all year round.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Location: Pikesville,Md., Belgrade, Me., Austin, Tx., El Paso, Tx., Midland, Tx., Fort Collins, Co., Fenney

Definitely a Costco. Also a PX and Commissary, but that won't
happen
Old 03-27-2018, 07:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I definitely do not have LOL reactions to the many negative posts that appear on this Internet forum.
Fully agree.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
It is a salad place. They don't compare in many ways.

I guess he talks about the premade salads he get's at trader joes and that's what made me ask.

I wonder if Sweet Tomatoes is busy all year round.
Yes.

Tags
add, nice, middle, great, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.