Suggestions for Paddock Square

Closed Thread
Old 03-16-2018, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I like shopping in the squares--Talbots, Chicos, Izod, some shoe stores, various boutiques, Woof Gang, and occasionally the farmers' markets. Otherwise I'm not crazy about crowds. (But that's my problem.) The restaurants are okay if your expectations are not high. Generally, I think the price fits the quality, and we go there for socialization and a decent, not outstanding, meal. I'm happy with it all but hope Brownwood comes up with some more stores.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:15 PM
Veteran member

Good ideas. I would love to see BJ’s go into traiwinds. A Metro in Brownwood would be awesome. Trader Joe’s is a pipe dream. Too many Aldi’s In the area.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Steak & Shake

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Steak & Shake
At 75 and 44
Old 03-16-2018, 07:50 PM
Sage
Default Suggestions for Paddock Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishJW View Post
Given the explosion of growth in the southern areas of The Villages, I think there are a number of things we need for Paddock Square and the Brownwood area.

For starters, we should have at least one Market Night.

It would be great to add a water feature of some sort. There is a lake in the middle and a pool with fountains in the north. Both the north and middle have little streams as well. It would be nice to add something in the south (maybe building upon the popularity of Larry).

Of course, we need more retail. Personally, we would love to see more restaurants like a Panera Bread (just like the other two squares), a Bonefish Grill and maybe a Carabbas.

While 44 is gradually showing signs of life, it would be great to have more shopping to eliminate some of the traveling all of us southerners have to do. My wife wants a Michaels (or Joanns or Hobby Lobby or AC Moore). A Trader Joe's and a Costco would be nice.

What would you like to see or add?

Tear it down, sell the cattle, layoff the cowboys and start from scratch. This is what happens when money and someone’s dream, family history and memories become reality. Grown adults don’t need a cattle themed micro mall sans no water features, no town square ( paddock is NOT a town square, it is a very very small musical venue), devoid of life before 5PM. IMHO Brownwood is embarrassing and we never take family or visiting friends there, ever. As far as I’m concerned there are only two Town Squares in TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2018, 08:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tialarre View Post
How about a food court. The vacant space on the southwest corner of Brownwood Square could be subdivided into individual stalls with various food vendors similar to a mall food court. They could include Chinese, Japanese, pizza, subs, tacos, sandwiches, frozen yogurt, Wendy's, McDonalds or Burger King or some other burger joint, cookie and deserts, Cinnabon, organic salad/fresh fruit bar, etc., etc. They could have 10-12 mini restaurants with tables in the center and outside. I think this would give residents plenty of eating choices and draw more business to the square. It also would lower the closing possibility of one large restaurant. The opposite corner has had at least two restaurants close and now it is vacant. If a single small food place closed in the food court, it would have less impact and would be easier to replace. Plus, lower rents for smaller food places, but possibly more rent for The Villages in total. I think it is a win-win for all.
I think you have an excellent idea.

If they were to do that, it would give people a chance to get a bite to eat without sitting down for the full deal...and it might even convince me to go back down there once in a while.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:46 PM

How about a big mattress store...?
Old 03-16-2018, 08:53 PM
Sage
Default Suggestions for Paddock Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagevip View Post
How about a big mattress store...?

They wouldn’t want the space. So, if you can’t lease commercial space, apply for a rezone, build apartments and call it a Village. A constant stream of income higher than what a retail space would generate and more rental Villagers (that’s new), using amenities that weren’t designed for the additional population living on rezoned commercial land. Profit above sucking it up, leave the land as storage for pine straw. How many billions are not enough ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Wiotte; 03-16-2018 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
There is not a single restaurant in Brownwood thats worth the trip to dine in their establishment--If the movie theater wasn't there we would never go to Brownwood---the same goes for Lake Sumter Landing--once the enchantment of moving to TV wears off--the Town Squares are not worth the hassle, parking and dealing with the out of area tourists
Old 03-17-2018, 04:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

When we came in 07 LSL was taking shape, a grocery, southern lifestyle, the veranda restaurant, citizens, sales office. I really don’t remember much about the retail at that time, other than the purple pig and the mercantile.

Best was Our GPS showed we were knee deep in water instead of driving on the bridge.

I rarely shop in a brick and mortar store. As younger folks move here the footprint will change to a different mindset of shoppers.

Trader Joe’s and Costco would be my only wish. Rarely eat out due to processed food, Or if we do eat out it’s because I can’t make that dish well.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

I second BJ's!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:29 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
How about a food court. The vacant space on the southwest corner of Brownwood Square could be subdivided into individual stalls with various food vendors similar to a mall food court. They could include Chinese, Japanese, pizza, subs, tacos, sandwiches, frozen yogurt, Wendy's, McDonalds or Burger King or some other burger joint, cookie and deserts, Cinnabon, organic salad/fresh fruit bar, etc., etc. They could have 10-12 mini restaurants with tables in the center and outside. I think this would give residents plenty of eating choices and draw more business to the square. It also would lower the closing possibility of one large restaurant. The opposite corner has had at least two restaurants close and now it is vacant. If a single small food place closed in the food court, it would have less impact and would be easier to replace. Plus, lower rents for smaller food places, but possibly more rent for The Villages in total. I think it is a win-win for all.
I like it! We rarely eat out but would love someplace to have a snack while out and about.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:30 AM
Sage

Do you remember the faux church in Spanish Springs? They had these little concerts for 5 or 6 dollars that were about an hour long. The type of music was all over the place which I like. I would like to see something like that down here.
Have you ever been to Preservation Hall in New Orleans? It doesn't need to be the size of a church or have fancy decorations. I think it will bring in business for the other businesses around the square.

Happy St Patty's Day. You know what Irish people put out today? Patty O'Furniture

Last edited by tomwed; 03-17-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:20 AM
Platinum member

If anyone would pay attention to the future development plans you would see the Morses are putting a lot of eggs into the Brownwood basket. The Villages Adminstrative offices, a large medical center, a hotel & conference center, etc. The Brownwood area will be the administrative & commercial center hub of The Villages.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:29 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I think this is a great idea. I would like to see something similar in LSL. I live north but play all the southern golf courses. There have been many times where I thought it would be great to have a fast food restaurant in LSL for a grab and go.

I would guess the current restaurants would be against this concept. Why would 5 Guys want to compete with a Burger King. Let’s see a $5.00 BK whopper vs a $12.00 Five Guys burger.

Tags
add, nice, middle, great, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.