Summer Heat

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Sage

Next month will be my 60th anniversary in Florida, 57 of which were in South Fla. The summers are all African hot but as I age I can tolerate the heat more and the cold less. This part of the state we have slightly higher temps during the summer than to the south but much less humidity.
It's a trade off of winter with cold and snow up north verses heat and humidity here in the summer. Both climates you can get indoors and be comfortable. Here you don't have any problem getting out of your driveway or having to change tires just because it's winter.
Up north doesn't escape the hot summers, only they are shorter.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I spent my early childhood and most of my twenties in the mid atlantic area of the east coast. While there as a young adult I found humidity at summertime temperatures caused me to sweat a lot and feel lethargic. Dry heat, on the other hand, has always felt good to me although at age 71 too low a humidity leaves my skin dry and itchy. As I have grown older I have found cold weather more and more disagreeable and warm weather more welcome, regardless of humidity... to a point. I do not enjoy 90% humidity at 90 degrees F!

β€œTo argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

I would like to say that the summers here are hot and humid and so unpleasant that I encourage everyone to leave. However, it is not really bad at all...we have lots of air conditioning and pools galore......and the population of TV drops dramatically. It is fine that the snowbirds migrate away and allow us to enjoy TV.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:29 AM

We were planning on spending 6 weeks here in Aug. and Sept. prior to officially moving...just to see if we could stand the heat. Those 6 weeks were cooler here than in the KC area where they were having a major heat wave. Took about 3 days for us to decide TV was THE place for us. I'll gladly take the heat and do fun indoor things until the afternoon showers cool everything off.

After a lifetime of adventures, the adventure of a lifetime.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Default Kathie - Try the Search Feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie3015 View Post
I am from So CA but have lived in the Denver area of CO for close to 7 years. In CA I lived inland, and it got HOT! We just didn't have humidity and it rarely rained in the summer. When I say hot, it was a regular thing to have temps over 100 for weeks on end, even into November. In CO, it's still hot in the summer, but not like CA. My husband is from Jersey, but lived in the Tampa area while raising his family with his ex for over 25 years. Between us we have 5 grown kids and no grandkids. We are newlyweds, been married less than 2 years. We are yearning for more activity in our lives. We were in FL in January and we stopped by The Villages for an afternoon. It wasn't enough time. We have done nothing but talk about and research The Villages for over 2 months now. Is there any down side to living there?
The "downside" issues have been discussed a lot in this forum before. Basically, there are not many, but you will find some interesting posts just be searching on "downside".

We bought our house 3 years ago and have not moved down yet we are both still working, but I have found nothing but "upsides" to this place.

Ed
Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
What are the summers like in The Villages?
wonderful, warm, wet, welcoming,
Old 04-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
I love the summers here. I'm from Missouri where it's not unusual to have many days upper 90's to low 100's with 90 to 95% humidity....
I'm afraid that's not possible. You see a temperature of 95 and humidity of 93 yields a heat index of 151 degrees. This would be 25 degrees above the point where "heat stroke is eminent".

Also, you can't use historical temps that give you a high temp and high humidity for a given date for the heat index because those two numbers usually did not occur at the same time. i.e. it may have been 78 degrees in the morning with RH of 60 but the afternoon high of 94 might have only had an RH of 38.

For this reason, I would really like to see historical weather data start reporting the heat index high for each day.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Sage

[QUOTE=EdV;653751Also, you can't use historical temps that give you a high temp and high humidity for a given date for the heat index because those two numbers usually did not occur at the same time. i.e. it may have been 78 degrees in the morning with RH of 60 but the afternoon high of 94 might have only had an RH of 38.

For this reason, I would really like to see historical weather data start reporting the heat index high for each day.[/QUOTE]

I always question when records are broken from records set 100 years or more ago. How accurate were their gages then. I especially can't believe the accuracy of barometric pressure and humidity compared to todays digital instruments.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I always question when records are broken from records set 100 years or more ago. How accurate were their gages then. I especially can't believe the accuracy of barometric pressure and humidity compared to todays digital instruments.
Which is a question I always ask when presented with "data" that supposedly "proves" there is global warming. "But the average temperature is .5 degrees (or some other impossibly small amount) higher this decade" they claim. Point 5. Yeah right! But that is a topic for a different thread.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 PM
Platinum member

My daddy told me that in his day his shoes would get so hot walking to school the bottoms would melt to the sidewalks. That has never happened to me.
So that is proof of global cooling. Right?

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 04-04-2013, 08:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
What are the summers like in The Villages?
A lot like the winters, only hotter.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:24 PM

Hot. Hot. Hot.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Sage

It can be hot here! BUT that being said, how are YOUR summers up north? We found that sometimes your temps are WAYYYYYYY hotter than ours here. We still go out and about but it's from our air-conditioned homes to our air-conditioned cars. You do outside activities either early or late in the day. What amazes me is folks golfing in the middle of the day when it's the hottest!! Hoping they're taking along some water as one needs to remain hydrated!!

We've found that it's not so bad living here full-time. BEATS having to shovel drives and sidewalks AND driving in the ice and snow as well. PLUS having to deal with the cold! Brrrrrrrrr!!!!
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Gold member

Get out early, relax inside during mid day, out late afternoon.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Sage

And there are benefits from the heat. Just think of golf excuses...a drop of sweat got in my eyes, my grip slipped (wet glove)...just to list a couple. You gotta see the cup half-full. ;^)

(Oh no...I didn't mean to start the half-empty/half-full discussion again!! :^O )
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.