Summer Heat

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Gold member

My first summer, I thought, "How can people live down here with the relentless heat and humidity". My second summer, I thought, "It's hot, but no big deal ... so what if I sweat a bit (or a lot), I'll just drink more water (or beer)."

The days here are remarkably similar - usually about 91-93 every day - not the 98 - 104 type temperatures that the North received last summer. The thing that takes getting used to is the relentless nature of those 90 degree days. Once they start, they go on for months.

My favorite time down here is the fall (October/November) when the weather has broken a bit but the snowbirds have not yet arrived in full force. My second favorite time is the summer.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Sage
Default Love the summers

Summers are hot and humid. Get things done by 11:00 then plan on going to a pool, shopping in the air conditioning or staying inside. The rain can be intense at times, not like the showers I'm use to up north. Don't want to get caught on the road as the torrential rain and the wind can make it a challenge to drive. I personally love the summer here. I spend most of my time in our pool and that's how I incorporate my daily exercise. Wouldn't live anywhere else!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:50 PM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-30-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Search for a chart of temperatures and humidity for the year. Compare to where you live. You will probably find Fl hotter and more humid but on any given day where you live could be hotter and more humid. That was true last summer between Fl and NJ. Best to rent for a month in the summer and see how you adjust.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Sage

Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Sage

Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 PM

I am from So CA but have lived in the Denver area of CO for close to 7 years. In CA I lived inland, and it got HOT! We just didn't have humidity and it rarely rained in the summer. When I say hot, it was a regular thing to have temps over 100 for weeks on end, even into November. In CO, it's still hot in the summer, but not like CA. My husband is from Jersey, but lived in the Tampa area while raising his family with his ex for over 25 years. Between us we have 5 grown kids and no grandkids. We are newlyweds, been married less than 2 years. We are yearning for more activity in our lives. We were in FL in January and we stopped by The Villages for an afternoon. It wasn't enough time. We have done nothing but talk about and research The Villages for over 2 months now. Is there any down side to living there?
Old 04-02-2013, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

After spending my third winter here in The Villages (along with summers), I will take the hot temps during the summer anytime over the cold nasty winters of Connecticut anytime.

Winters in New England, you basically hibernate for three months to stay out of the cold. And as an added bonus, there is that nasty 4 letter word called SNOW to deal with.

Summers here are hot and stay hot longer than in New England, BUT you can go to the beach, the neighborhood pools, golf early morning or late afternoon, and do a multitude of other activities and not be homebound. We did not do any winter activities such as skiing, snowmobiling, etc. Too Darn Cold, but those were our choices. Others enjoy those activities and I am not critiquing them.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Veteran member

Summer heat is one reason I am leaning toward the in-between option. Renting/Winter visits to Florida. But I would list it as a low in terms of reasons to not do a permanent relocation. I have other reasons that I consider to be the more important issues.

To put the weather in context, I would also say cold winter weather is the primary reason I am even considering Florida as a Winter location. It is relatively close to us and affordable.

But, who knows... maybe after a few years of visits, I will get Florida fever too!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:30 AM
Veteran member

I'll take the summer heat here over the gray dreary hot Pennsylvania summers.We get the sunsine here at least.They get the cloudy skies.Nothing worse than a cloudy,hot,humid Pennsylvania summer day.I had a lifetime of them.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Gold member

Some of us are more affected by the humidity than others. And after my first full summer here, I now head for the mountains of NC in the summer months.

It really starts to get relentless by mid July when the afternoon highs are in the 90’s and 60% humidity yields a “Real Feel” heat index temperature of 105. And this trend usually lasts well into late September. To have that kind of heat in New England for even a few days straight is very rare. In fact, up there a "heat Wave" is defined as three or more consecutive days above 90.

But as others have posted here, most folks down here find ways to deal with it and would rather deal with this problem than winters in the North.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:47 PM
Veteran member

I love the summers here. I'm from Missouri where it's not unusual to have many days upper 90's to low 100's with 90 to 95% humidity. here in TV it rarely gets above 95 degrees so the summers are actually cooler in TV
Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Default Summers are Fine

Summers in the TV are fine. The whole place is less crowded, restaurants, golf courses, pickleball courts, etc. The businesses are air conditioned, so is your house and your car. If going outside means going to the pool, you can sit in the shade, and take a dip and then cool off in the breeze. I love it here anytime of the year.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

The first summer I spent here I thought I was going to die, and some days wished I had! But, now, seven years later I would not go back North for anything, even my beloved children. I think we have four really hot months, where I came from winter lasted for seven bitterly cold, dark and dreary months and everyone who could left in November and went to Florida.

Yes, it's hot and sometimes really really humid, but the air conditioning works really well here, and everywhere is air conditioned, and you do learn to manage the heat.

Years ago I met a southern lady who told me "remember dear, hot weather is uncomfortable, but cold weather really hurts".

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran member

I prefer a 3 season climate ..... Early Summer (just hot), Summer (brutally hot), Late Summer (just hot)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.