What About Flood Insurance?

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2007, 04:11 AM
Default What About Flood Insurance?

Is that a requirement in some counties, or all of the Villages? Thanks to everyone for posting so much good information!
Old 07-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Sage
Default Re: What About Flood Insurance?

It is optional....I think they quoted me $300/year additional. After much thought and talking to others, I opted not to get it. No rivers around here and most houses are sited for adequate drainage. I just didn't think it was worth it. Others???
Old 07-18-2007, 07:06 AM

Lake county, maybe? I thought if any area was declared a flood zone, it became a requirement to have flood insurance. Lots of flooding out west due to unusual weather. If enough rain comes down fast enough, I guess most places could flood.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Veteran member

We are in Sumter county and not a flood zone. However, we are cautious so we bought it for the little extra we paid. We of course, have hurricane insurance as well.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm worried more about wind not water, especially since we don't have basements in FLA.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:24 PM

Having lived in Florida for over twenty years, I have had friends and neighbors who experienced hurricane damage. I can assure you I would never get caught without flood insurance even when I do not live in a flood zone. The problem is the Insurance companies try every way to get out of settling a hurricane damage claim even with the extra premium we pay to cover the high hurricane deduction. If you have hurricane damage without flood insurance, it seems the Insurance companies claim damage was caused by water - not wind. Therefore if one does not have flood insurance then the Insurance company has a way out. This happens over and over again. Insurance claims in Florida due to Hurricanes has been so costly for the Insurance companies they really make every effort to get out of paying. Yet people still fail to get the flood insurance. It is underwritten by the Federal Gov't. and is so inexpensive. Have you ever heard of a hurricane without water or flooding? Hurricane insurance only covers damage caused by wind. Pay the low flood insurance rate and have some piece of mind.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:07 PM

Wow thank you so much Ray, for this information. I'm going to take your advice and get flood insurance.
You're right, as I remember the agent telling me I didn't need to get it because TV isn't in a flood plain, so I didn't. But I will! Thanks!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.