Sumpter Landing Police

Closed Thread
Old 01-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Sumpter Landing Police

When we purchased our golf cart insurance, the woman who sold it to us informed us of numerous accidents and deaths of people going above the speed limit on golf carts, passing other golf carts, and not watching where they were going.

We did check how fast our electric golf cart goes, 2001, on a straight away it goes about 14 -15 mph, going downhill it goes up to 22 mph.

On another thread someone wrote why a golf cart was not built to go more than 20 mph.

English, there are no words that can express the feelings I experienced when you wrote about the driver who killed another person and only received a ticket - violation of right of way.

We have observed drivers in cars cutting off golf carts when they are making a turn.

To all of you who are reading this - we are moving to TV to live and not worry we might get killed and/or injured while driving and/or passenger in a golf cart. There are enough road warriors where we live.

HB
Old 01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

One thing I do not understand is if the majority of non commercial traffic is retired occupied, then what is the hurry?
Gotta get home for the PM snooze? Geritol waiting?

At 60 miles an hour going to 61 saves one minute at the end of an hour. So what is being accomplished by going ANYWHERE in TV at speeds 10++ over the speed limit...

NO EXCUSES....NONE....if you are speeding you need to be ticketed....and the profiling is just line chatter....

Florida's Friendliest Home Town....unless they are behind the wheel that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Commercial traffic speeding...easy...call the number on the truck....c'mon silent majority ....do something!!

There is my $2.95 (that's two cents with oil adjusted inflation).

BTK
Old 01-06-2008, 05:22 PM

I took a good look Friday after this post and sure enough, there is a clearly visible sign on each side of Belvedere/CR101. As you continue north on 466 there are more signs as you approach the Charter School. It would seem to me that complaining about getting a ticket that was deserved is the typical blame everyone but me attitude that pervades our lives today.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

As I said, I'm a speeder, but not in residential zones and certainly not in school zones. The last thing I ever want to hear is the sound of my car hitting a child darting around something I cannot see. Yes, if I get pulled over I'll try to talk my way out of the ticket but if I'm getting one, I sign the ticket without hesitation and thank the officer for doing his duty (and I'm NOT being sarcastic when I say it).

There are some non-speeders that are seriously holier-than-thou just like some non-smokers are downright obnoxious even if you're smoking in your own home. There are some nonp-speeders that simply tell you, well, hope you don't get in an accident and do pay your ticket when you get it. The former can get me on my high horse faster than my daughter being a brat. The latter I agree with wholeheartedly.

BTW -- Speeding doesn't necessarily being reckless. I don't go faster than my car can handle. I don't whip through traffic. Heck, I don't even speed if traffic is moderate. But give me a freeway with little traffic late at night and I'm in hog heaven!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-06-2008, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Speeding is speeding!
Over the limit is over the limit.
No rationale changes the "allowability"......

The faster one goes the hurrier they get....they are usually at the light WAITING when the rest of us get there.

It really does not matter how it is painted, speeding is a problem in TV.

The more speed traps the better.

Did you ever notice in school zones (anywhere, USA...including TV) where there is not a cruiser visible...while most slow down....most do not do the limit....and if there is at least one car going faster the the next one, all seem to have to match it.

Bring on the cops....let them use the revenue to buy newer and better speed detecting equipment.

Not holier than thou non speeder...just want the speeders to slow down.

BTK

Old 01-06-2008, 06:31 PM
Gold member

As of now, 1334 members have looked at this post and 38 have posted their feelings. Since there is a consensus on speeding - if is great.

Wish more people would read this thread and hear what is being said. Appears many people though are interested in reading about the police.

HB
Old 01-06-2008, 06:43 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Sumter Landing Police

Redwitch
What makes you think it is ok for you to pick and choose when to obey the law?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:28 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I didn't say it was okay. I said I did it. Vast difference to me. We all pick and choose what we do -- whether it is legal or illegal. Some of what we choose is good for us, our country, our land, our family. Some of it is not. I will never have a drink and drive a car. Period. I'm sure most of you will and do. I do not condemn you for that. It is your choice. I do not talk on my phone when driving. Again, many of you do. Your choice. It is my choice to speed when I feel it is safe.

I have gotten three tickets in my life. One was for running a stop sign that I contested since the sign was well hidden behind a bush. The judge agreed. One was for going 37 in a 35 mph zone (!) (and, yes, my actual speed was 37). One was for an illegal u-turn. I didn't know it was illegal but I paid the ticket regardless. I have been pulled over a few times for speeding on freeways. I have been warned to slow down but have not been ticketed. Not once.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
I didn't say it was okay. I said I did it. Vast difference to me. We all pick and choose what we do -- whether it is legal or illegal. Some of what we choose is good for us, our country, our land, our family. Some of it is not. I will never have a drink and drive a car. Period. I'm sure most of you will and do. I do not condemn you for that. It is your choice. I do not talk on my phone when driving. Again, many of you do. Your choice. It is my choice to speed when I feel it is safe.

I have gotten three tickets in my life. One was for running a stop sign that I contested since the sign was well hidden behind a bush. The judge agreed. One was for going 37 in a 35 mph zone (!) (and, yes, my actual speed was 37). one was for an illegal u-turn. I didn't know it was illegal but I paid the ticket regardless. I have been pulled over a few times for speeding on freeways. I have been warned to slow down but have not been ticketed. Not once.
Remember that when one speeds, they put the lives of other people (including my wife, daughter and grandchildren) at risk. Not only is the speeder at risk but so are others on the road. You say you do not condemn those who drink and drive. I do. They are a threat to society. They belong in jail. Most European countries have a ZERO alcohol limit for drivers. The prisons are full of people who pick and choose which laws they choose to obey.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:10 AM

I recall reading a bumper sticket at one time: "IF YOU'RE IN A HURRY, YOU'RE IN THE WRONG PLACE!!" :cop:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.