Sumter 2019 TRIM Notices

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2019, 04:53 PM
Veteran member

I read one of the councilmen's statements in today's paper. Let us understand that the state does indeed set the Commisssioner's salary, but those salaries go up with the population, I believe, so they have an incentive to allow as much growth as possible. Secondly, he said a lot of the increase is due to road resurfacing. Isn't that what the tax on gasoline is supposed to take care of? The state of Florida's gas tax alone is 36.6 cents a gallon. The Fed tax is 18.4 cents a gallon. Sales tax is 7%. And I think Sumter county adds 1 cent, but I am not sure.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default You must be a retired teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Education is sort of important. Teachers in the Villages area start out at only $40,875/year, and can't earn more than $59,248/year. Out of that, they have to pay for their own professional re-certifications and continuing education, some of which are yearly. A teacher who has worked over 25 years in Sumter County, will earn $59,248 at the end of this school year.

How many other professions do you know, where you can work a job where you are responsible for the training and safety of thousands of other people, doing several hours every week from home in addition to a 6-hour per day 5-day per week scheduled workweek, sometimes requiring you to travel at your own expense on special field trips, spend your scheduled unpaid vacation time planning the next month's training - and not even hit $60k/year after 25 years of doing it?

Pay them more. Pay more taxes. Be grateful that there are people willing to do this kind of work, and give them more tools to do it successfully. The future leader of this country might be among that 3rd grade classroom of kids. We should strive to make every single child succeed. They won't all succeed. But it's our responsibility to do whatever is necessary to give them the same chance as every other kid in the country.
As a taxpayer, COME NOW. You income assuming it is correct at 59,000. You do not put any value on the benefit package. A guess is it would cost you, if you had to pay for it, with after tax dollars by the way, another 40-50,000. Actual days on the job. Non teachers do not get off, every holiday, and summers.

"The same chance as every other kid in the country." The truth is we are not al the same. Kids, some are simply brighter than others. Some have a stable family. Some have parents that will help their kids others think the school system should baby sit their-xxxx.

Life is tough.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Tax on gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
I read one of the councilmen's statements in today's paper. Let us understand that the state does indeed set the Commisssioner's salary, but those salaries go up with the population, I believe, so they have an incentive to allow as much growth as possible. Secondly, he said a lot of the increase is due to road resurfacing. Isn't that what the tax on gasoline is supposed to take care of? The state of Florida's gas tax alone is 36.6 cents a gallon. The Fed tax is 18.4 cents a gallon. Sales tax is 7%. And I think Sumter county adds 1 cent, but I am not sure.
Typical of government, they avoid telling you what they do not want you to know. I don't know when but it was years ago when they stopped showing on the pump how much of what you pay is tax. Other than you, few people know what they are paying in tax on gasoline. Who gets what doesn't really matter to me. I figure about 1/3 of what you pay is tax. So if it is 3.00 a gallon it is $1.00 in tax. On top of that, there is tolls, registration etc etc etc.

A friend used to say, they have so many ways to tax the chicken he does not realize he is bald.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:12 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Do you mean they raised your market value (not your assessed value) by 0.8% this year and 13% last year? I thought SOH limited the increased in assessed value to 3%.
They can adjust it more than that your first full year of ownership Save Our Homes doesn't come into play until after 2 years
Old 08-30-2019, 08:16 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
I left NJ because of a winter from hell, was not going to have a heart attack, trying to make more $$, we already had enough to retire-- my business lost 52 working days-the governor closed the roads during the storms--had enough--unlike others never had a business/job except for being in the navy--that I enjoyed
I was just repeating what you said in one of your responses in the restaurant forum a few days ago.

"Lived in Chatham & Chester Twp-had 5 acres in Chester--too beautiful & too expensive ,to retire-sold my businesses in 95' & never looked back"
Old 08-30-2019, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,075 Times in 2,743 Posts

Just got our trim notice in the mail today at our home up north. I guess they don't bother to send them to the part time residents in a timely fashion since they know we won't be there to go to the required public meetings to voice our opinions regarding the tax increases?
Old 08-30-2019, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,017 Times in 1,743 Posts

Last edited by Velvet; 08-31-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:12 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,519 Times in 712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Just got our trim notice in the mail today at our home up north. I guess they don't bother to send them to the part time residents in a timely fashion since they know we won't be there to go to the required public meetings to voice our opinions regarding the tax increases?
Doubtful, the TRIM notice is sent out by computer, it really doesn't care where you live or how long you are here. I'm a full time resident and got mine on Tuesday. Blame the USPS for the slow delivery.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 08-31-2019, 05:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,511 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
As a taxpayer, COME NOW. You income assuming it is correct at 59,000. You do not put any value on the benefit package. A guess is it would cost you, if you had to pay for it, with after tax dollars by the way, another 40-50,000. Actual days on the job. Non teachers do not get off, every holiday, and summers.

"The same chance as every other kid in the country." The truth is we are not al the same. Kids, some are simply brighter than others. Some have a stable family. Some have parents that will help their kids others think the school system should baby sit their-xxxx.

Life is tough.
1. I'm not a teacher.
2. I got my information from the government website that lists the actual salaries of teachers.
2a. The yearly salary is yearly, including days off, holidays, sick time. That is their total paycheck compensation. They also get a 401K, which used to be a pension but that was taken from them. They get medical benefits but have to contribute to them. They also pay out into the union, and they are NOT reimbursed for expenses such as school supplies and advanced educational courses and required certifications.
2b. My mom was lucky, and was in the school system when they had a full pension and full medical care for life. That no longer exists. But she is not eligible for social security, because as a state employee at the time, teachers were exempt from paying into it.
3. My mother spent 30 years of her life teaching elementary school, and I was the observer of all the other stuff she did outside the classroom - including helping her organize her papers for her master's courses.
4. The same CHANCE as every other kid. No not every kid will succeed. But every kid should have the same opportunity to succeed as every other kid. No kid should be denied the opportunity to thrive just because they live in the wrong neighborhood, have the wrong color skin, or have the wrong accent. Same opportunity - same quality of education, same funding. Their ability to thrive is up to them and their upbringing, but their ability to TRY should be the same, regardless.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
1. I'm not a teacher.
2. I got my information from the government website that lists the actual salaries of teachers.
2a. The yearly salary is yearly, including days off, holidays, sick time. That is their total paycheck compensation. They also get a 401K, which used to be a pension but that was taken from them. They get medical benefits but have to contribute to them. They also pay out into the union, and they are NOT reimbursed for expenses such as school supplies and advanced educational courses and required certifications.
2b. My mom was lucky, and was in the school system when they had a full pension and full medical care for life. That no longer exists. But she is not eligible for social security, because as a state employee at the time, teachers were exempt from paying into it.
3. My mother spent 30 years of her life teaching elementary school, and I was the observer of all the other stuff she did outside the classroom - including helping her organize her papers for her master's courses.
4. The same CHANCE as every other kid. No not every kid will succeed. But every kid should have the same opportunity to succeed as every other kid. No kid should be denied the opportunity to thrive just because they live in the wrong neighborhood, have the wrong color skin, or have the wrong accent. Same opportunity - same quality of education, same funding. Their ability to thrive is up to them and their upbringing, but their ability to TRY should be the same, regardless.
Well said.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:58 AM
TOTV Moderator

Just a reminder....topic is Sumter Property Taxes. There is a separate thread to discuss teach salaries.

Closed Thread

Tags
property, site, appraiser’s, notices, trim

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.