Sumter 2019 TRIM Notices

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2019, 03:49 PM
Platinum member
Default Sumter 2019 TRIM Notices

Maybe y’all already know, but they are posted on the Property Appraiser’s site now.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default In case you hadn't heard the term; "TRIM notice. I hadn't.

what is a trim notice in florida - Bing
Old 08-24-2019, 05:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

For the vast majority:

Link

Sumter County Property Appraiser - Joey Hooten - Bushnell, Florida - 352-569-6800 Put in a name or a street name (with the street name don't use a number or St., Ave., Pl., Loop, etc.)

Links

Lake and Marion Co.

Welcome to The Property Appraiser's Office for Lake County, Florida

MCPA Home
Old 08-24-2019, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thanks Grace, I was wondering what a trim notice was.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thank you.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

In case you don't notice, the school taxes have a proposed 13% increase, some of this is coming from the state but most of it is local. This is absolutely outrageous, more so than event he proposed 24% property tax increase. Over 2000 new homes were added to Sumter county last year and the vast majority of them (the homes in The Villages) added a grand total of ZERO students to the school district.

Looking at my tax bill, I paid just over $1200 in state and local school taxes. I have no problem with this, it's like this almost everywhere, everyone pays school taxes even if they have no children in school.

My beef is that 2000 new homes in TV each paying $1200 or more is $2,400,000 more to their budget with very little proportional student population increase county. Adding insult to injury this 13% increase is about a $70 (or more) increase for every home in TV in Sumter County or about $2,500,000 increase. This is more than a $4,900,000 increase in the school budget from just The Villages, there is additional increases from the rest of the homes in the County.

According to the school district website there are approximately 8,200 students in the Sumpter County School District, this equates to an increase of nearly $600 per student. Or if we look at the total school budget of nearly $113,000,000, that is over $13,750 per student, per year.

When I left Memphis Tennessee 12 years ago the Memphis city school system spent an average of $6,200/student annually, and Shelby County school system (the rest of the schools in the county not within the city limits of Memphis) were spending $5,200/student. Even adjusting for inflation I find it difficult to accept the costs here in Sumter County are so high, especially when one considers the poor conditions of the non-charter schools in the county.

I am absolutely for the children getting a first rate educations and for funding that education. But the numbers here just don't work.

I'm not sure who is being cheated more, us the taxpayers or the students of Sumter County.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 08-24-2019, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Well, bottom line for me is at worse I see a total $125 increase if they get what they want and a $100 decrease if it remains the same which it obviously won't. My yearly taxes including bond and all the other "stuff" is equiv to slightly under 2 months of what it used to be up north. Spread that $125 over the 3 years we will have been here at the end of this year and I can't complain. How it is spent, that's another issue. Still can't see why they needed to spend $88mill (or whatever it was) on repaving Morse & BV where they could have done only the sections that were needed which probably would have cost 1/20th of what was spent because most of those roads were pretty good shape except for certain sections.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Education is sort of important. Teachers in the Villages area start out at only $40,875/year, and can't earn more than $59,248/year. Out of that, they have to pay for their own professional re-certifications and continuing education, some of which are yearly. A teacher who has worked over 25 years in Sumter County, will earn $59,248 at the end of this school year.

How many other professions do you know, where you can work a job where you are responsible for the training and safety of thousands of other people, doing several hours every week from home in addition to a 6-hour per day 5-day per week scheduled workweek, sometimes requiring you to travel at your own expense on special field trips, spend your scheduled unpaid vacation time planning the next month's training - and not even hit $60k/year after 25 years of doing it?

Pay them more. Pay more taxes. Be grateful that there are people willing to do this kind of work, and give them more tools to do it successfully. The future leader of this country might be among that 3rd grade classroom of kids. We should strive to make every single child succeed. They won't all succeed. But it's our responsibility to do whatever is necessary to give them the same chance as every other kid in the country.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Education is sort of important. Teachers in the Villages area start out at only $40,875/year, and can't earn more than $59,248/year. Out of that, they have to pay for their own professional re-certifications and continuing education, some of which are yearly. A teacher who has worked over 25 years in Sumter County, will earn $59,248 at the end of this school year.

How many other professions do you know, where you can work a job where you are responsible for the training and safety of thousands of other people, doing several hours every week from home in addition to a 6-hour per day 5-day per week scheduled workweek, sometimes requiring you to travel at your own expense on special field trips, spend your scheduled unpaid vacation time planning the next month's training - and not even hit $60k/year after 25 years of doing it?

Pay them more. Pay more taxes. Be grateful that there are people willing to do this kind of work, and give them more tools to do it successfully. The future leader of this country might be among that 3rd grade classroom of kids. We should strive to make every single child succeed. They won't all succeed. But it's our responsibility to do whatever is necessary to give them the same chance as every other kid in the country.
How much do they earn where you now live? Disclaimer. I have always voted for school levies.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think a lot of that school tax increase is because of all the extra resource officers and security measures being put in because of the school shootings that have occurred.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:04 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
I think a lot of that school tax increase is because of all the extra resource officers and security measures being put in because of the school shootings that have occurred.
Actually that's not the case, those increased costs for security and resource officers were rolled into the 24% increase they are proposing for the property tax not the school budget.

There are only 8 schools in the county not including the charter school in The Villages, all of which already have at least part time resource officers assigned.
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 08-26-2019, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Gracie, salary range is $41,320 for first-year entry-level minimal education (I believe that's 4-year BS degree plus certification courses) full-time kindergarten and goes up to $98,760 for a teacher with a Master's degree and tenure in the High School.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Gracie, salary range is $41,320 for first-year entry-level minimal education (I believe that's 4-year BS degree plus certification courses) full-time kindergarten and goes up to $98,760 for a teacher with a Master's degree and tenure in the High School.
Where in NJ are you from? Same as was in our town. My wife was in same school system for ~35 years (unfortunately not as a teacher) and that was almost identical to last contract they negotiated back in 2015 except now new personnel are contributing heavily to medical benefits.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:36 PM

All the teachers wages from around the country are interesting, but have little to do with this area - you might as well quote San Francisco or NYC.

In the Sumter country area, as near as I could find the salaries for teachers range from $29k to $75K.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:36 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Yes - Nurses, Medical Assistants, Phlebotomists. On top of it they don't have 3 months off a year and retire with pensions. I get so sick of Teachers whining about their pay. We don't seem to have trouble getting teachers so the pay is obviously adequate. On top of that the whole "we work at home" stuff may be true for some, but the reality is the school parking lots are sparse when I go to work at 7:30 and EMPTY at 5 PM when I drive past on the way home.
Snow Flake until I retire
Closed Thread

Tags
property, site, appraiser’s, notices, trim

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.