Sumter County forging ahead to reduce impact fees?

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2019, 01:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

What troubles me in particular, is that the current homeowners, especially the very poor outside TV, as well as those who live in TV, are saddled with increased property taxes to encourage the growth they do not benefit from.

Also it sounds like you did not know Mr. Schwartz personally, but my relatives did. He was interested in the well being and happiness of his clients too.
Old 11-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
What troubles me in particular, is that the current homeowners, especially the very poor outside TV, as well as those who live in TV, are saddled with increased property taxes to encourage the growth they do not benefit from.

Also it sounds like you did not know Mr. Schwartz personally, but my relatives did. He was interested in the well being and happiness of his clients too.
I know several people who still live here, in their 80's, who knew Mr. Schwartz, and they schooled me on yes, he was interested in the well being and happiness because that was the attraction which fulfilled his business plan. It was a win win. There isn't a lot of difference in today's direction, what is different is the number of people here who have issues and that's directly related to the growth. I can't believe the number of people who buy here without doing their due diligence and then complain. People make uninformed decisions and then want to find a way to change things to validate their decision. I know the overused flippant response is "then move" and I also know that there are those that either financially or physically can't, but for those that made a bad decision and can, step up and try to correct it. Mr. Schwartz was an astute business man.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 11-15-2019, 04:05 PM
Sage

Yes, I agree, Mr Schwartz was an astute businessman. But after building those beautiful buildings at Spanish Springs he stayed in his original home with his original neighbors.

As far as “move if you don’t like it here” - that doesn’t fly. What you do is work towards the change you want to see happen. Historically, America wasn’t built by quitters.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:10 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I agree, Mr Schwartz was an astute businessman. But after building those beautiful buildings at Spanish Springs he stayed in his original home with his original neighbors.

As far as “move if you don’t like it here” - that doesn’t fly. What you do is work towards the change you want to see happen. Historically, America wasn’t built by quitters.

Change ain't going to happen by commenting and complaining on ToTV. Too many posters just complain and blame on ToTV and don't DO anything. These are the ones who should move, now that flies.
Old 11-15-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I know several people who still live here, in their 80's, who knew Mr. Schwartz, and they schooled me on yes, he was interested in the well being and happiness because that was the attraction which fulfilled his business plan. It was a win win. There isn't a lot of difference in today's direction, what is different is the number of people here who have issues and that's directly related to the growth. I can't believe the number of people who buy here without doing their due diligence and then complain. People make uninformed decisions and then want to find a way to change things to validate their decision. I know the overused flippant response is "then move" and I also know that there are those that either financially or physically can't, but for those that made a bad decision and can, step up and try to correct it. Mr. Schwartz was an astute business man.
From what I have read as above mentioned Harold Schwartz sold land by mail until that became unlawful, sold zipper wallets by mail order, and I have heard kitchen gadgets at state fairs and the like. His out of US FCC control very powerful radio stations across the Mexican (border blasters) got Wolfman Jack started. He was all huckster/salesman. He and Al Tarrson bought a mobile home park in a watermelon patch and sold only a few lots so Harold bought out Al and invited his son, Gary Morse, down and that is when The Villages took off. Harold was personable and no doubt genuinely liked people but he was essentially conducting marketing studies when he chatted up folks in the community to find out what they liked, what they did not like, what they would like to see and so on. The bottom line is things have worked out fabulously for both his family and Villagers through good business planning, years of very hard work and the "free golf for life" and "live like a millionaire" advertising slogans which are what really got customers down to buy. The Villages is incredibly beautiful, well planned and maintained and IMHO, the best active adult 55 and over community in the world!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-16-2019, 07:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We moved here in 09 from Long Island. We picked TV because of what was here and available in and around TV. Yep it's grown a lot sense then. The car stays in the garage except to go outside of TV which isn't very often. Everything we need except for a few stores, the Church we attend, 2 Doctors & the Hospital by choice. As for the future it's going to continue to grow for sure. Build it and they will come and as long as people keep coming they will keep building as will more stores. The busy season is upon us so our going out times may need to change a little but we'll survive. This is home for us until the end !
Old 11-16-2019, 07:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
We moved here in 09 from Long Island. We picked TV because of what was here and available in and around TV. Yep it's grown a lot sense then. The car stays in the garage except to go outside of TV which isn't very often. Everything we need except for a few stores, the Church we attend, 2 Doctors & the Hospital by choice. As for the future it's going to continue to grow for sure. Build it and they will come and as long as people keep coming they will keep building as will more stores. The busy season is upon us so our going out times may need to change a little but we'll survive. This is home for us until the end !

But where do you keep the firetruck???

Old 11-16-2019, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
But where do you keep the firetruck???

Give it a minute...... someone who doesn't understand your sense of humor will post with his ideas on that!
Old 11-16-2019, 10:38 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
From what I have read as above mentioned Harold Schwartz sold land by mail until that became unlawful, sold zipper wallets by mail order, and I have heard kitchen gadgets at state fairs and the like. His out of US FCC control very powerful radio stations across the Mexican (border blasters) got Wolfman Jack started. He was all huckster/salesman. He and Al Tarrson bought a mobile home park in a watermelon patch and sold only a few lots so Harold bought out Al and invited his son, Gary Morse, down and that is when The Villages took off. Harold was personable and no doubt genuinely liked people but he was essentially conducting marketing studies when he chatted up folks in the community to find out what they liked, what they did not like, what they would like to see and so on. The bottom line is things have worked out fabulously for both his family and Villagers through good business planning, years of very hard work and the "free golf for life" and "live like a millionaire" advertising slogans which are what really got customers down to buy. The Villages is incredibly beautiful, well planned and maintained and IMHO, the best active adult 55 and over community in the world!
AMEN to that for sure! What has not changed since The Villages began? The world has changed, our Country has changed, we have changed! Has no one revised their spending/savings habits because of personal and other reasons and desires? Well - so too does business! Do ya remember when a one pound can of coffee used to be 16 oz - how many ounces is it today? Do ya remember going to the movie and watching the Newsreel and a cartoon before the only movie playing? Whaddaya see today - ads and notices to turn off your cell phone! Who here can honestly believe that Harold Schwarts and/or Gary Morse would not have changed the original Villages model in order to stay with the times and continue to make money? After all - why are Developers in business but to develop; and what good business owner is not in business to make money? So many folks whine about the family's greed - but surely give it absolutely no thought about how much is costs to carry the expenses for what they enjoy! Didja never hear the old saying that ya gotts spend money to make money. That's something that has NOT changed!

[Coffee and rant are done - must mean it time to do laundry and clean the house] Have a great day folks - I have other pans! lol

Old 11-16-2019, 11:59 AM
Sage

Yes to change. But... who is in charge of it, and how does change happen. Who pays for it and who does it benefit and is that what we want? I don’t advocate learned helplessness.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Yes to change. But... who is in charge of it, and how does change happen. Who pays for it and who does it benefit and is that what we want? I don’t advocate learned helplessness.
If your not in charge of it. Why worry.
If your not paying for it. Why worry.
If it doesn't benefit you. Be glad it helps someone else.
If it is not what you want. Find an alternative.

“Worry is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do but never gets you anywhere”
– Erma Bombeck
Old 11-16-2019, 03:18 PM
Sage

Yes, but you see we ARE paying for changes we may not want. Those who would exploit you, count on you being distracted. That is not to say we are being exploited in TV. But if we don’t take an active roll in what is happening, than we can be.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Yes, but you see we ARE paying for changes we may not want. Those who would exploit you, count on you being distracted. That is not to say we are being exploited in TV. But if we don’t take an active roll in what is happening, than we can be.
This is a thread about IMPACT FEES in Sumter County being reduced. Do you have a rough idea of how many other citizens were with you at the Sumter Co. Commissioners Meeting that night?
Old 11-16-2019, 03:54 PM
Sage

Unfortunately I could not be there at that time. Thank you for posting this, CW.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage

Yes, you are right. But media has amazing power as some very important people use it to communicate.... when I can I’ll be there and you can count on me.
Closed Thread

Tags
county, fees, reduce, impact, competitive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.