Sumter County Taxes

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

Actually, I think the bigger question is WHY Sumter County tax is going up---the tax base must be increasing with the expansion of the villages south of 44, I don't know of any massive projects the county is planning. I hope they aren't funding some social programs at the expense of Villagers, does anyone know?
It's gotta be for all of the infrastructure down there....doesn't it? I'm just guessing. Maybe after a year or two the taxes will go down once everything is all paid off
Old 12-21-2019, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastskiguy View Post
It's gotta be for all of the infrastructure down there....doesn't it? I'm just guessing. Maybe after a year or two the taxes will go down once everything is all paid off
Isn't that what the bond is supposed to pay for?
Old 12-21-2019, 08:33 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Isn't that what the bond is supposed to pay for?

Not roads.

Bond pays for: Infrastructure includes storm water systems, underground pump stations, water retention areas, curbs, gutters, streetlights, transportation trails, underground piping, etc.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:24 AM

Do you have a homestead or other exemptions for your property?
If not, you should definitely apply for ones you are eligible to claim.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
I certainly don't want to sound cruel or insensitive, but I am a realist. Like you, I am retired, and actually on less than a fixed income since I have no pension and no social security. However:

1) "I want to pay my taxes even if they have gone up 30% or so."

You don't really get the choice of whether or not you WANT to pay your taxes, otherwise no one would.

2) "Why are seniors like you and me being treated this way?"

We are not being treated any different than any other taxpayer

3) We both knew what our taxes were when we purchased our homes, I didn't for a moment think that they would do anything other than go up

4) We both knew that the tax bill, along with any bond, was an annual lump sum payment

5) "Why can't we make partial payments online"

Because Sumter County is a government taxing authority, NOT a finance company

6) Try this argument with the IRS and see how far you get

7) "This is so wrong and Randy needs to fix this if he wants to keep his job."

I don't view it as right or wrong, it's simply the way it is, like most places in the country. And I doubt Randy Mask's job is dependent on your personal satisfaction with county tax regulations.

That being said, I do hope you find a way to resolve your issue
I don’t think Randy will lose his job but I do think a lot of us will be pushed out of TV because we can’t afford to live there. Or we’ll have to suck it up go along with it!
Old 12-21-2019, 10:07 AM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Taxes

We bought our house 13 yrs ago. even with our tax increase our taxes are still less than 2006. They are also 50% cheaper than our taxes on the same value home in Milwaukee . I guess it's all in the math. Len
Old 12-21-2019, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Darn, now I really feel like a fool. Paying quarterly estimated tax and final tax bill on time and in full, paying property taxes in full when due. I could have been on the pay as you go plan too.

Actually, I think the bigger question is WHY Sumter County tax is going up---the tax base must be increasing with the expansion of the villages south of 44, I don't know of any massive projects the county is planning. I hope they aren't funding some social programs at the expense of Villagers, does anyone know?
Can't believe you missed these couple threads. There are more if you need them.
2019 Tax Bills are out
Trouble brewing in Villages paradise over fat tax hike
Old 12-21-2019, 10:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Unfortunately we moved from TV because we wanted to be closer to children, grandchildren & great grandchildren. But where we are now taxes are high but everything else is cheaper. For one thing gas is $2.04 two weeks ago $1.89. But here if your 65 or older your grandfathered in after one year, & taxes never go up. But to be up front with everybody or taxes this year was only $3,3??. Next year we’ll find out what we’re lock into. Also something that helps our property taxes is cable TV & Internet, it’s FREE. That saves me $165. a month!
Old 12-21-2019, 10:37 AM

Set aside so much money every month to pay property tax and then when the bill comes you will have the money to pay the bill.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
We bought our house 13 yrs ago. even with our tax increase our taxes are still less than 2006. They are also 50% cheaper than our taxes on the same value home in Milwaukee . I guess it's all in the math. Len
That’s like comparing a Lexus to a Yugo, Len. You get far more bang for your dollars in Milwaukee than The Villages after doing an online search. Milwaukee features public transportation, excellent colleges, beautiful Lake Michigan lakefront, fine restaurants that include multicultural cuisine eateries, professional baseball, basketball and hockey teams and a short drive north to Lambeau field. The medical facilities and providers are top notch, fine hotels, beautiful golf courses in and around the city, mixed cultures, art museums, fine theaters, a Riverwalk, great shopping. The list goes on and on but it’s much nicer for it’s tax dollars vs The Villages. One gets what one pays for.

Last edited by Aces4; 12-21-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-21-2019, 10:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
That’s like comparing a Lexus to a Yugo, Len. You get far more bang for your dollars in Milwaukee than The Villages after doing an online search. Milwaukee features public transportation, excellent colleges, beautiful Lake Michigan lakefront, fine restaurants that include multicultural cuisine eateries, professional baseball, basketball and hockey teams and a short drive north to Lambeau field. The medical facilities and providers are top notch, fine hotels, beautiful golf courses in and around the city, mixed cultures, art museums, fine theaters, a Riverwalk, great shopping. The list goes on and on but it’s much nicer for it’s tax dollars vs The Villages. One gets what one pays for.
Snow, ice, cold, more snow, more ice, more cold

IMHO, Milwaukee is the Yugo
Old 12-21-2019, 11:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Snow, ice, cold, more snow, more ice, more cold

IMHO, Milwaukee is the Yugo
Four seasons are beautiful and btw, there there is skiing close by, water and SNOW. True that The Villages can offer some things including unbearable humidity and heat for 6-7 months out of the year, sinkholes and hurricanes but this is a comparison of value for your tax dollars. Just saying, taxes in Florida may be lower but you get what you pay for. Just checked the weather in Milwaukee, no snow and high in the mid forties to 50’s this weekend. Many golf courses are open.
Old 12-21-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
Four seasons are beautiful and btw, there there is skiing close by, water and SNOW. True that The Villages can offer some things including unbearable humidity and heat for 6-7 months out of the year, sinkholes and hurricanes but this is a comparison of value for your tax dollars. Just saying, taxes in Florida may be lower but you get what you pay for. Just checked the weather in Milwaukee, no snow and high in the mid forties to 50’s this weekend. Many golf courses are open.
I take it you live in Milwaukee and not The Villages. If you do live here,-----WHY????
Old 12-21-2019, 11:41 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
I take it you live in Milwaukee and not The Villages. If you do live here,-----WHY????
Rather personal question, I don’t live in Milwaukee, never have but I was addressing the post presented that stated taxes were cheaper here in Florida. I was attempting to point out that they should be vs what the citizens here get for their money. We also have the luxury of amenity fees, additional maintenance fees, a bond payment and separate garbage pickup fees. Let’s not forget the 7% sales tax on purchases also. Sumter county taxes are not low when one examines the whole ball of wax.

Enjoy the day, their numbers are all getting shorter for all of us.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Rather personal question, I don’t live in Milwaukee, never have but I was addressing the post presented that stated taxes were cheaper here in Florida. I was attempting to point out that they should be vs what the citizens here get for their money. We also have the luxury of amenity fees, additional maintenance fees, a bond payment and separate garbage pickup fees. Let’s not forget the 7% sales tax on purchases also. Sumter county taxes are not low when one examines the whole ball of wax.

Enjoy the day, their numbers are all getting shorter for all of us.
OK, taxes----I lived in central NY
There was no bond, but developers in NY rolled the cost of infrastructure into the home price, so that's a wash. There were no maintenance fees and garbage pick up was included in taxes, but...you had to separate your recyclables and each type was picked up once every 4 weeks, and trash collection was once a week Sales tax was 8%. There were no amenity fees, but then again, no amenities. The nearest "cultural centers" were in Rochester, 60 miles away.
For "all that", I paid over 18K in property taxes. Here, I pay $4600, and my home here is assessed at 200K MORE than my home in NY. Oh, and I forgot, $90 each time it snowed more than 3 inches to plow the driveway---and we averaged 122 inches of snow/year. I'll pass on Milwaukee and stay here
Closed Thread

Tags
payment, taxes, told, online, make

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.