Sumter Early Voting: Safe and Efficient!

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2020, 11:53 AM
Default Sumter Early Voting: Safe and Efficient!

We just voted at the Sumter County Annex Office on Powell Rd. Our total time to wait and vote was right at 30-minutes. The process was very well organized and all of the same safety procedures that were used in the Primary Election were in place and properly managed.

Thanks to all the volunteers and county employees who are making this work!
Old 10-20-2020, 12:01 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer49 View Post
We just voted at the Sumter County Annex Office on Powell Rd. Our total time to wait and vote was right at 30-minutes. The process was very well organized and all of the same safety procedures that were used in the Primary Election were in place and properly managed.

Thanks to all the volunteers and county employees who are making this work!

Anyone have a report from Rohan?
Old 10-20-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Anyone have a report from Rohan?
The line was a little longer there when we went by, so we went over to Powell Rd. In hindsight, the room at Rohan was much bigger and had many more stations when we voted there in the Primary, compared to Powell Rd., so the total wait/vote time might not have been much, if any, longer had we stayed there.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:15 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer49 View Post
The line was a little longer there when we went by, so we went over to Powell Rd. In hindsight, the room at Rohan was much bigger and had many more stations when we voted there in the Primary, compared to Powell Rd., so the total wait/vote time might not have been much, if any, longer had we stayed there.
Thank you. Lines are a real burden for me now. I have been having serious back issues lately and dealing with it best I can. Standing more than 10 minutes is a real struggle. I will get through it somehow I guess.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

We just got back from Rohan, took us about an hour from the time we got in line to when we left the building.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:26 PM

That's all nice, but I used the US Postal re my ballot.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

We just went to Laurel Manor and it is an hour wait.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

They were asking people in line if anyone had a ballot they wanted to drop off. Also, making sure you were a resident of Sumter County.
Old 10-20-2020, 03:54 PM
Platinum member

Rohan had plenty of chairs to sit on.
I’ve been having hip pain and had to sit down.
My husband stayed in line while I sat in one of the living rooms and
Joined him right before voting.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Meanwhile, at Lake County:

The library had a line out the door, maybe 20-30 people, most of them in groups of 2 (couples) with a handful of single voters and a smattering of trios.

The volunteer who came outside to check on the line said it'd be around 1-2 hours from where I was standing until I walked out the door with my vote counted. I was in and out in less than an hour. The wait was primarily because they only have one elevator and wouldn't put more than 4 people maximum in it at a time going up. Coming down, they didn't have anyone watching it, so a fifth snuck in just as the door was closing.

And of course two people in front of me, demanded that they be the only ones on the elevator, because they had immune problems (pro-tip - if you have THAT much of an immune problem, you probably should have voted by mail). The elevator was not sanitized between trips to the 2nd floor, but there was plenty of hand sanitizer throughout the process.

We were each given a pen to use and instructed to keep it (they didn't want to have to clean thousands of pens, but honestly I could've used the one I always keep with me, didn't need theirs).

It actually went fairly smoothly. Only real downside was once we got upstairs into a second line in the hallway, a woman was coming out of the voting room and got way too close to someone going in (pretty sure she bumped into him). I guess he must have said something to her because she went off on him loudly and obnoxiously, acting as though it didn't matter that she wasn't even trying to social distance and who did he think he was giving her a hard time about it.

Or something like that. Anyway it was ridiculous and she was being selfish. But then she was gone, and everyone was peaceful again. We were all pretty peaceful before she showed up too, and it was clear there were several voting one way, several voting another. All just glad to exercise our right to vote.
Old 10-20-2020, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Meanwhile, at Lake County:

The wait was primarily because they only have one elevator and wouldn't put more than 4 people maximum in it at a time going up.
Are there no stairs? Must one go up in the elevator? (They must have stairs in case of a power failure, right?)

kathy
Old 10-20-2020, 07:31 PM

That’s why there is absentee voting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Thank you. Lines are a real burden for me now. I have been having serious back issues lately and dealing with it best I can. Standing more than 10 minutes is a real struggle. I will get through it somehow I guess.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
. ... just wondering if either place had a box to drop off a completed ballot for those not wanting to stand in line because of a handicap or voting absentee and not particularly caring to use the “pony express”.
At the County Annex on Powell Rd you can carry your ballot for drop off right past the line to a designated place inside - no waiting - very quick in and out - saw many folks do that. There’s a volunteer poll worker outside the door who will direct you.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The topic was generally about voting today, however, just wondering if either place had a box to drop off a completed ballot for those not wanting to stand in line because of a handicap or voting absentee and not particularly caring to use the “pony express”.
From Sumter County Supervisor of Elections website
"You can turn your Voted Ballot into one of the designated drop off boxes that will be located at each of our Early Voting Sites "
Vote By Mail Information
No need to stand in line.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:00 AM

voted at Allamanda about 3p Tuesday maybe took 20minutes wait, there was some sitting possible while waiting....I will say I was walking by a couple times and the line looked significantly longer and I decided to wait for a shorter line.
Closed Thread

Tags
sumter, county, primary, safety, procedures

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.