Sumter Early Voting: Safe and Efficient!

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2020, 09:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Are there no stairs? Must one go up in the elevator? (They must have stairs in case of a power failure, right?)

kathy
No, no one was permitted to use the stairs. THey have stairs but they had to keep everything single-file - hard to do that when you have people entering the hallway from multiple locations.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

Went to Laurel Manor about 5 pm. It took about45 minutes. They had chairs inside if you have trouble standing. You can see where you would be at the end of the line and ask that person to remember you so that when they came inside you could get back into the line then.
Old 10-21-2020, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

We voted at the Lady Lake library today. Horrible setup. The whole process took us an hour and a half. The line was about halfway down the sidewalk between the building and the parking lot. Voting is upstairs on the 2nd floor. They have a HUGE elevator but they will only let 6 people in at a time. Upstairs there were just two workers checking people in and just two machines to scan (record) ballots. There are about 30 cubicles where people could be filling out ballots but only a half dozen in use at a time (and NOT due to social distancing, just because they won't let more people in / can't process people checking in more efficiently). Very disappointed in Lake County. They should have known by the number of new registrations that interest in this election is off the charts and been prepared for the crowds.

kathy
Old 10-21-2020, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
We voted at the Lady Lake library today. Horrible setup. The whole process took us an hour and a half. The line was about halfway down the sidewalk between the building and the parking lot. Voting is upstairs on the 2nd floor. They have a HUGE elevator but they will only let 6 people in at a time. Upstairs there were just two workers checking people in and just two machines to scan (record) ballots. There are about 30 cubicles where people could be filling out ballots but only a half dozen in use at a time (and NOT due to social distancing, just because they won't let more people in / can't process people checking in more efficiently). Very disappointed in Lake County. They should have known by the number of new registrations that interest in this election is off the charts and been prepared for the crowds.

kathy
They were prepared for the crowds. The crowds seem to not have been prepared for early voting during a pandemic, where social distancing is required.

I was further down the sidewalk toward the parking lot than you were, and they wouldn't let more than 4 people into the elevator at a time (as I mentioned up-thread), and I was in and out in under an hour.

In some cities and towns across the country, the first day's early voters had a 6-7 hour wait. I'm sorry that one of the most important responsibilities you have as an American citizen turned out to be such a huge inconvenience.

Next time, vote by mail.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:33 PM

my husband and I went to Powell Road to drop off our mail-in ballots; we were given a website to track our ballots and it worked fine. the website told us when and where our ballots were dropped off and would be counted.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:39 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
We didn’t even trust USPS. The Sumter Election drop boxes are convenient, safer and free!
We were in Winter Park Fl today . A postman walked by us on Park Street, with a wad of mail and unknowingly dropped a letter. I brought it to his attention. He thanked me and picked it up.

Didn't look like a ballot, but .. It was mail. Then again , I heard that a ballot box for dropping ballots "accidently" caught on fire. Decided to stand in line, get my ballot, fill it out and place it into the ballot reader. They all have to get there somehow. To get it there that way , I only have myself to blame. Now if the reader goes defunct...
Old 10-21-2020, 08:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Apple View Post
I believe no ballot gets counted anywhere until Election Day.
I voted in person and when I put my ballot into the reading machine, it gave me a read out that said "Your vote has been counted".
Old 10-21-2020, 08:56 PM

Wrong. Mine counted within 6 days.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
We didn’t even trust USPS. The Sumter Election drop boxes are convenient, safer and free!
I must be old-fashioned but I still trust our institutions, regardless of efforts trying to destroy them.
Closed Thread

Tags
sumter, county, primary, safety, procedures

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.