Is it time to upgrade my iphone 7?

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2021, 08:33 AM
Arrow Is it time to upgrade my iphone 7?

I just bought a 2022 Hyundai Tucson which has a pad to charge a phone. It won't connect with my phone to charge it, but it did connect to Blue Tooth. The salesman said I would need to either use a cord or buy a newer phone. Is that true. Is it time to buy a newer version phone to properly use the items on my car. I need some advise. Thanks so much!
Old 05-23-2021, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCsun View Post
I just bought a 2022 Hyundai Tucson which has a pad to charge a phone. It won't connect with my phone to charge it, but it did connect to Blue Tooth. The salesman said I would need to either use a cord or buy a newer phone. Is that true. Is it time to buy a newer version phone to properly use the items on my car. I need some advise. Thanks so much!
Not true. You just need to buy a wireless adapter or wireless charging case for the IPhone 7.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

If you don't want a cord, then upgrade.

I recently upgraded my iPhone SE to an iPhone 12. The iPhone 12 is amazing. 3 things struck me immediately. The iPhone 12 is incredibly faster. Everything is so smooth and responsive. Second, face recognition is instantaneous and vastly better than typing in a code or using a touch ID. And third, I love cordless charging and on the iPhone 12, it is combined with "Magsafe" to automatically snap/lock the phone onto the charger.

That means the phone has a magnet in its back and it will work with wireless charging stations with or without a magnet to hold the phone in place.

If you have an Apple watch I highly recommend Apple dual charger for the iPhone and Watch. It is SO nice to just set the phone on the charging pad and it snaps into place and charges, when I want to go, just slide it off the charging plate and go. No more cables to the plugin.

I am getting to HATE cables - LOL.

Also, I am trying out the Apple MagSafe wallet with the iPhone 12. It is a small very thin leather wallet that magnetically attaches to the back of the iPhone. Being so thin is both a good thing and an issue. It can only hold 3 cards. I put in my driver's license, Credit card, and Vet ID. It felt restrictive at first since I normally have a wallet full of "stuff". But, now after a couple of months, I find it really nice. And, it is so thin, I don't even notice it on the back of the iPhone. The wallet sits next to the charging base on my desk where the phone is when not in use, so I always know where it is...

Bottom line, I am very happy I upgraded. The iPhone SE and your iPhone 7 were/are good reliable phones but the iPhone 12 is awesome.

The ONLY caveat I would make is Apple is probably going to have another "event" in June or July. Rumors are that at that event they may be releasing an iPhone 13. So, personally, I would hold off until then to see if I wanted the iPhone 12 or the upcoming iPhone 13.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:00 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Seems to me that the cord would be less expensive than the new phone! lol I use the cord with my IPhone5s and 2021 Ford!

Old 05-23-2021, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Apple is making sure my perfectly fine 6+ won’t be working perfectly fine very soon. Apparently an Apple phone’s useful life has nothing to do with how long the phone will last, but rather when Apple determines its time to force you to need a new phone. Pi$$es me off, I like to take very good care of our things and make them last as long as possible.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,382 Times in 2,061 Posts

I would upgrade (I *did* upgrade just recently).

As noted above, the iphone12 is much faster (I had an iphone 8)

I'm not a fan of using face ID to unlock the phone but it works very nice to retrieve passwords and automatically login to sites.

Apple has a trade-in offer I just saw recently; my carrier had a better offer that I took advantage of.

It looks like the wireless charging adapter costs less than $20 so that would be an inexpensive option while waiting to see what the June announcement is.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-23-2021, 09:29 AM
Veteran member

Just my 2 cents. WWDC(World Wide Developers Conference) is in June. Usually at WWDC they announce the next operating system both for the Macs and iDevices. IPhone 7 is a great phone and you’ll probably get another year ( 2022) out of it. From my understanding the iPhone 6 will no longer be supported by Apple come later this year. That’s all hearsay and rumors. Traditionally Apple does not announce new hardware aka new iPhones until September when they have an “Apple Event.” Last year due to Covid they announced the iPhone 12 in October. As an Apple “fan boy” I usually upgrade about every 2 years, sometimes every year. I have a 2019 Chrysler Pacifica and although my iphone can be charged without a cable I cannot charge it in the Pacifica wirelessly. I don’t mind the cable for charging it’s not a major inconvenience but it is a bit of a pain. As someone else wrote it’s less expensive to buy a new cable than to upgrade the phone.
Old 05-23-2021, 10:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Seems to me that the cord would be less expensive than the new phone! lol I use the cord with my IPhone5s and 2021 Ford!
Absolutely, but American's are all about convenience. We eat out at fast food, which is more expensive, we drive cars instead of riding bicycles, etc, etc etc. It's all about what you can afford, what you enjoy, and what bothers you.

Being a geek my desk is covered with chargers and cables. I long for the day I have no cables anywhere - LOL...
Old 05-23-2021, 10:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Apple is making sure my perfectly fine 6+ won’t be working perfectly fine very soon. Apparently an Apple phone’s useful life has nothing to do with how long the phone will last, but rather when Apple determines its time to force you to need a new phone. Pi$$es me off, I like to take very good care of our things and make them last as long as possible.
Well, a couple of things. Which phone has a useful life of more than 6 years? Your iPhone 6 will not stop working one day because Apple updates stop being compatible with it. It will simply continue to do the same fine job it does now. I have an iPad 1 which came out in 2010 - eleven years ago. After a $90 battery replacement, it still works fine and does everything it did in 2010. I also have a 2021 iPad Pro because it does things the iPad 1 won't or can't do. My choice, not Apples.

And of course, Apple is in business to make money. One way to make money is to entice people to constantly upgrade their phones, by offering new features Apple hopes they will want. Apple is very good at that.

That's called capitalism. There are a LOT of other phone companies and anyone can buy a phone from any of them. That too is called captialism
Old 05-23-2021, 10:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
Just my 2 cents. WWDC(World Wide Developers Conference) is in June. Usually at WWDC they announce the next operating system both for the Macs and iDevices. IPhone 7 is a great phone and you’ll probably get another year ( 2022) out of it. From my understanding the iPhone 6 will no longer be supported by Apple come later this year. That’s all hearsay and rumors. Traditionally Apple does not announce new hardware aka new iPhones until September when they have an “Apple Event.” Last year due to Covid they announced the iPhone 12 in October. As an Apple “fan boy” I usually upgrade about every 2 years, sometimes every year. I have a 2019 Chrysler Pacifica and although my iphone can be charged without a cable I cannot charge it in the Pacifica wirelessly. I don’t mind the cable for charging it’s not a major inconvenience but it is a bit of a pain. As someone else wrote it’s less expensive to buy a new cable than to upgrade the phone.
Very true, you are correct, Apple usually releases new phones closer to Christmas. There are some rumors that Apple "might" release a lot of new hardware at WWDC with some major OS changes. But, yes, that is all rumor.

The iPhone 7 is certainly a very nice phone and will last at least another year.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:17 PM
Default Thanks!

I have really enjoyed reading the discussion and suggestions provided. You have all helped me come to my decision. I will purchase a charging case and use it until the fall. Then i will purchase a new phone for myself and give my husband my phone since he has an iphone 6 and could care less if he gets my iphone 7! 😂
Old 05-23-2021, 01:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I have really enjoyed reading the discussion and suggestions provided. You have all helped me come to my decision. I will purchase a charging case and use it until the fall. Then i will purchase a new phone for myself and give my husband my phone since he has an iphone 6 and could care less if he gets my iphone 7! 😂

LOL! Role reversal. It's my wife that doesn't care what phone she has as long as it works. I usually get the new ones and hand down my "old" ones to her.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:57 AM
Default Yiu can keep your phone and don’t have to upgrade.

To tophcfa:
If your Apple 6+ phone is working fine, then there is nothing to stop you keeping your phone as long as you like. You just will not be able to upgrade to the latest iOS release.

Apple is always improving both the hardware and software in increasingly complex ways, so you will not be able to take advantage of the new functionality. But the phone should continue to work. Apple makes sure all new phones will be able to get iOS software upgrades for five or six years. After that you cannot upgrade, and you can either keep your phone at the latest release that you upgraded to, or get the latest phone, which will be much faster, better and with more capability than your old one.

Last edited by TonyC; 05-24-2021 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2021, 05:10 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Get an iphone 8. Thats the phone that started with a glass case which is compatible with a car wireless charger. You can get a refurbished one for less than $150
Old 05-24-2021, 05:14 AM

Quote:
You won’t be able to use wireless charging on your iPhone model. I recall that IPhone X was the first model with that feature. So you would charge your current phone with a cable in your car as your salesman said. I believe all other features will work with your new car such as Bluetooth assuming you keep your phone’s operating system up to date. You will probably get at least another year or two out of your phone unless you must have wireless charging (it is nice but unnecessary).
Closed Thread

Tags
phone, charge, time, buy, connect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.