Sumter Landing Square last night (5-2)

Closed Thread
Old 05-03-2021, 09:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,683 Times in 971 Posts
Default Sumter Landing Square last night (5-2)

Had a very brief (overnight) visit from kids and grandkids last night, who had never been to TV before. Of course we took the obligatory trip to the square for music, dancing and ice cream.
This is the first time I've been in TV after mid-April, and the crowd was by far the sparsest I've ever seen. It was nice though, but I was surprised.
Not having been here in May before, I was just wondering if the smallish crowd was due to the band not being a popular favorite (I thought they were fine), or just a function of the time of year?
The grandies had a great time.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I was at Blue Fin last night don’t know who was playing but the square seemed pretty crowded when we came outside after 9 pm
Old 05-03-2021, 10:06 AM
Veteran member
Location: Dhahran, Duesseldorf, Hemel Hempstead, Phoenix, Grand Rapids, Washington DC, and now TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Had a very brief (overnight) visit from kids and grandkids last night, who had never been to TV before. Of course we took the obligatory trip to the square for music, dancing and ice cream.
This is the first time I've been in TV after mid-April, and the crowd was by far the sparsest I've ever seen. It was nice though, but I was surprised.
Not having been here in May before, I was just wondering if the smallish crowd was due to the band not being a popular favorite (I thought they were fine), or just a function of the time of year?
We were there on the weekend and it was jam packed, so it may have been the band?
Old 05-03-2021, 01:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Who was the band and who was playing at the other squares. Sometime if popular bands are at the other squares then the crowd follows them there. I have never been down this time of year but guessing some of it has to do with fewer people there. A few weeks back Sumter was pretty thin when the band was playing.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Chasing Amy was there last night. I tell you this...since the squares reopened, whenever the Hooligans, Spasmatics, Johnny Wild, and to a lesser extend Rocky and the Rollers play the squares, they are jammed packed, no matter the night of the week.

I'm sure Chasing Amy are a talented and dynamic band that have something to please everyone in the Top 40 "party band" genre. However, I'm noticing that most Villagers (and those who live in the surrounding areas) have discerning musical taste. They/we seem to want something a little different than generic top 40 party music. Not sure why that is. My guess is we've all heard those songs thousands of times before and perhaps the tunes have gotten a little stale?

Not criticizing Chasing Amy at all. I checked out their videos on Youtube and they're perfectly fine, but perhaps that type of music is overrepresented in the Villages. Just my take. I'm a sucker for talking about anything to do with music!
Old 05-03-2021, 01:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
who was playing at the other squares. Sometime if popular bands are at the other squares then the crowd follows them there.
Anita Drink and Southbound. I've seen both and both are excellent, in my opinion, especially Anita Drink. But they too draw less than the big four I mentioned above and I doubt they took any of Chasing Amy's audience.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 759 Posts

Depends on the band. Some are not so popular , even in high season.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Anita Drink and Southbound. I've seen both and both are excellent, in my opinion, especially Anita Drink. But they too draw less than the big four I mentioned above and I doubt they took any of Chasing Amy's audience.
We saw Anita Drink last night. We try to catch them whenever they come to Spanish Springs. My husband is in awe of Kayleigh's ability to switch from bass guitar to ukelele to trumpet. I just love the combination of musicians, their voices, and their selections. I get to dance, and then take a minute while they slow things down (or speed them up to "great listening, can't dance to it" tunes), before I head back over toward the stage.
Old 05-03-2021, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Birds migrating north for the summer
Old 05-03-2021, 05:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Chasing Amy was there last night. I tell you this...since the squares reopened, whenever the Hooligans, Spasmatics, Johnny Wild, and to a lesser extend Rocky and the Rollers play the squares, they are jammed packed, no matter the night of the week.

I'm sure Chasing Amy are a talented and dynamic band that have something to please everyone in the Top 40 "party band" genre. However, I'm noticing that most Villagers (and those who live in the surrounding areas) have discerning musical taste. They/we seem to want something a little different than generic top 40 party music. Not sure why that is. My guess is we've all heard those songs thousands of times before and perhaps the tunes have gotten a little stale?

Not criticizing Chasing Amy at all. I checked out their videos on Youtube and they're perfectly fine, but perhaps that type of music is overrepresented in the Villages. Just my take. I'm a sucker for talking about anything to do with music!
I like Chasing Amy but the band that I like that has the biggest crowd time after time is Rocky and the Rollers, have never seen bigger crowds than what they get.
Old 05-03-2021, 05:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
We saw Anita Drink last night. We try to catch them whenever they come to Spanish Springs. My husband is in awe of Kayleigh's ability to switch from bass guitar to ukelele to trumpet. I just love the combination of musicians, their voices, and their selections. I get to dance, and then take a minute while they slow things down (or speed them up to "great listening, can't dance to it" tunes), before I head back over toward the stage.
So only at Spanish Springs, do they play at the others?
Old 05-03-2021, 06:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
The popular groups will rotate thru the three squares
Old 05-03-2021, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Yes they do play at the other town squares. But we aren't "followers of bands." We just enjoy an occasional night out "on the town" and Spanish Springs is the closest town square to our house.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Yes they do play at the other town squares. But we aren't "followers of bands." We just enjoy an occasional night out "on the town" and Spanish Springs is the closest town square to our house.
Tell the truth, didn’t you follow Yes? (I did too in the early and mid '70s. Saw them every time they played South Florida.)

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 05-03-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-03-2021, 08:11 PM
Veteran member
Default Hooligans

The stars are shining a little brighter tonight. The Hooligans played War Pigs at Spanish Springs.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 05-03-2021 at 10:00 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, crowd, night, square, surprised

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.