Sumter raises taxes again , cuts money for music at squares

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2020, 01:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurkie View Post
So glad I moved!😁
And yet here you are looking in on what is happening in The Villages. Someone who is glad they moved moves on. Someone who misses the place stays here in their mind.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
So they abolished the tax.........What's the worst that can happen?
No "entertainment".
None of that EXTRA LOUD crap that is supposed to be entertainment.
At least I will be able to go to the squares with my friends, sit and have a drink and actually engage in a conversation without having to yell over the volume of "music", and be able to hear what is being discussed.
Fine by me.
Did I just go back in time to 1975 when all the 'old folks' complained about that darned loud music.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
News flash—

Big chunk of funding comes from county entertainment tax

County raised the real estate tax rates
That's correct - a big chunk of the money that pays for Entertainment at the Squares comes from the Sumter county Entertainment Tax. That tax was just eliminated by the current commissioners.
I believe entertainment is funded through 2021. But... what happens after that?
Old 10-20-2020, 06:52 PM

No the square money was from the Florida tourism taxes!!!! Not the merchants here as falsely rumored and you fell for without checking facts. Taxes are in fact being reduced a bit from the 25% last year so you would be wrong again! All widely published facts!
Old 10-20-2020, 07:51 PM
Sage

Looking forward to significant Tax Relief and Budget Control by our New and Improved Board of Sumter County Commissioners and I hope you are as well . Many promises were made and soon it will be time to deliver .
Old 10-20-2020, 08:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo Jim View Post
Looking forward to significant Tax Relief and Budget Control by our New and Improved Board of Sumter County Commissioners and I hope you are as well . Many promises were made and soon it will be time to deliver .
The recently elected commissioners ran on a "roll back the 25% tax increase," so they have to deliver on that. But I don't want to see things that make The Villages a fun and great place to live go away (while also increasing our property values). Entertainment in the squares is extremely popular. I hope the newly elected commissioners understand that.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEbner2805 View Post
No the square money was from the Florida tourism taxes!!!! Not the merchants here as falsely rumored and you fell for without checking facts. Taxes are in fact being reduced a bit from the 25% last year so you would be wrong again! All widely published facts!
Do a little more research before you start typing next time.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Don't fall for the Fake News posts.
The mill rate went down.
OK, don’t believe everything I read here. Had to ask!
Old 10-21-2020, 08:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
I'm confused. Didn't the EMS group (as they like to call themselves) run on the promise to STOP the entertainment funding from the County? I seem to recall the wife of one candidate talking about it on this site.
The one guy out of the three was for the County to stop the funding. The wife came on here and said he was changing his stance due to feedback from the people wanting the entertainment to continue to be funded.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
The one guy out of the three was for the County to stop the funding. The wife came on here and said he was changing his stance due to feedback from the people wanting the entertainment to continue to be funded.
Sounds like he feels strongly on both sides of that issue. Is his wife running also?
Old 10-21-2020, 11:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neils View Post
News flash—

Big chunk of funding comes from county entertainment tax

County raised the real estate tax rates
Sorry that is not correct. And OBB why would you thank someone for a post that is not correct..... and you don't even live in the county in question? Here's a NEWS FLASH for the poster -
I have lived here full time since 2004 and my Millage Rate is lower now and my Sumter Co. property taxes are lower now compared to then. Thanks in part to the elected officials we've had in office. I love all the self proclaimed experts!
Old 10-21-2020, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
Sorry that is not correct. And OBB why would you thank someone for a post that is not correct..... and you don't even live in the county in question? Here's a NEWS FLASH for the poster -
I have lived here full time since 2004 and my Millage Rate is lower now and my Sumter Co. property taxes are lower now compared to then. Thanks in part to the elected officials we've had in office. I love all the self proclaimed experts!
Lot more people live here now than before and that would spread costs over a wider number.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Lot more people live here now than before and that would spread costs over a wider number.
I was addressing the poster I quoted. The one who said " County raised the real estate tax rates" They didn't..... he was wrong. Do you disagree? Also you are correct, costs are spread out over a wider number...... I'm just thinking with bigger numbers come bigger costs too. And it's a fact I am paying less in County Property Taxes now compared to 2004.
Old 10-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
I was addressing the poster I quoted. The one who said " County raised the real estate tax rates" They didn't..... he was wrong. Do you disagree? Also you are correct, costs are spread out over a wider number...... I'm just thinking with bigger numbers come bigger costs too. And it's a fact I am paying less in County Property Taxes now compared to 2004.
It is a fact that last year they raised property tax by 25%. and the developer got the county to pick up costs that normally he would have been responsible for.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Sounds like he feels strongly on both sides of that issue. Is his wife running also?
One of the newly elected commissioners stated he would not use the county tourism tax for entertainment. After feedback from residents, he changed his position and said he would fund it. I give him credit for that.
His wife does post on other social media sites giving her opinion on "issues." I'm not sure that helps her husband...
Closed Thread

Tags
sumter, developer, current, squares, music

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.