Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   The Villages, Florida, General Discussion (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/)
-   -   Sumter raises taxes again , cuts money for music at squares (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/villages-florida-general-discussion-73/sumter-raises-taxes-again-cuts-money-music-squares-312186/)

charlie1 10-20-2020 07:14 AM

I have to say that I am sick of the whiners about the taxes! I have owned homes in multiple states and multiple areas of Florida. Sumter County has been and continues to be the lowest property taxes. Yes, last year your taxes were raised for the county portion on the property tax (which is about 33% of your total property taxes) by 25% which raised your overall taxes by about 10% (rounding) but this was after, I believe 14 years without a tax increase for Sumter COUNTY TAXES! They could have raised the taxes every year by 2% and no one would have had an issue but we would have had even a larger tax bill last year! This year the tax rate for Sumter County did not go up based on what I saw on our TRIM notice!

Also, The new Commissioners ran on a promise that they would lower taxes and ELIMINATE the Squares subsidy! Sure it would be nice if they could reduce the taxes but I for one do not want the end result to be less services or reduced maintenance to our streets and infrastructure. We have it REALLY REALLY good here.

Waltdisney4life 10-20-2020 07:37 AM

Let’s hope the new commissioners can undo some of the damage done by the outgoing commissioners!

allsport 10-20-2020 08:02 AM

Of course they did.

graciegirl 10-20-2020 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waltdisney4life (Post 1850005)
Let’s hope the new commissioners can undo some of the damage done by the outgoing commissioners!

WHAT DAMAGE? I am so worried that these new commissioners will attempt to overthrow the very well run CDD form of government and turn us into an Orlando.

I think we need to watch the new ones very carefully because I don't like the fact that one of them shifted parties. He lost enormously in last local election when he was on the Blue team.

Joe C. 10-20-2020 08:26 AM

So they abolished the tax.........What's the worst that can happen?
No "entertainment".
None of that EXTRA LOUD crap that is supposed to be entertainment.
At least I will be able to go to the squares with my friends, sit and have a drink and actually engage in a conversation without having to yell over the volume of "music", and be able to hear what is being discussed.
Fine by me.

dewilson58 10-20-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe C. (Post 1850042)
No "entertainment".
At least I will be able to go to the squares with my friends, sit and have a drink and actually engage in a conversation without having to yell over the volume of "music", and be able to hear what is being discussed.
Fine by me.

:1rotfl:

yurkie 10-20-2020 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John41 (Post 1849423)
Current Sumter commissioners supported by the developer voted to raise taxes and cut funding for music at the squares as reported in Villages News.
This is another example of how the current developer plans to radically transform The Villages from the vision of the founder Harold Schwartz that has been so successful.

So glad I moved!😁

Stu from NYC 10-20-2020 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe C. (Post 1850042)
No "entertainment".
Fine by me.

I do believe your opinion is in a small minority.

Lots of places you can go and have a drink and conversation, not as many places to have entertainment.

KRM0614 10-20-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by graciegirl (Post 1849482)
If people's taxes have gone up it is because the appraised value of their home is greater.

The money for entertainment on the squares comes from the Merchants on the squares.

Wrong ! Sumter raises taxes because nothing can be done about it as a resident has no voice.

dewilson58 10-20-2020 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRM0614 (Post 1850138)
Wrong ! Sumter raises taxes because nothing can be done about it as a resident has no voice.

:1rotfl::1rotfl:

OhioBuckeye 10-20-2020 10:52 AM

Ohiobuckeye

Quote:

Originally Posted by John41 (Post 1849423)
Current Sumter commissioners supported by the developer voted to raise taxes and cut funding for music at the squares as reported in Villages News.
This is another example of how the current developer plans to radically transform The Villages from the vision of the founder Harold Schwartz that has been so successful.

What % are they raising taxes! TV sounds like things are getting more expensive by the week. Hopefully things will level out soon unless some govt. party gets elected, then hard telling! Sorry to bring politics into this.

dewilson58 10-20-2020 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye (Post 1850149)
What % are they raising taxes! TV sounds like things are getting more expensive by the week.

Don't fall for the Fake News posts.
The mill rate went down.

Topspinmo 10-20-2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter (Post 1849792)
The second question, what will the new commissioners do?

Well if they talk the talk and walk The walk? they will muddy the water for tax increase and HH apartments. But it May be already greased in with the yes puppets.

CWGUY 10-20-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewilson58 (Post 1850152)
Don't fall for the Fake News posts.
The mill rate went down.

:icon_wink: If they throw enough of it at the wall they know some will stick. A lot of uninformed people will believe. Where have I seen that before? :boom:

Nucky 10-20-2020 01:25 PM

My taxes were reduced by 30%. Love Lake Country and the Old Section. Wish we had a humongous Apartment Complex built at the Hilltop Golf Course instead of Golf to keep the Taxes even lower next year. Pretty soon they will be paying us to live here!