Sumter tax issue?

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage

We have moved quite a few times over a 50+ year marriage. Bought some homes and sold some homes. Here is the conclusion I have drawn: It takes $x to operate a municipal entity. Whether it be town, county, or state. One way or another, we are all going to pay. You may see lower taxes and lower median wages here, or higher taxes and all high end union labor there, but, in the end, it takes $x to operate your hometown, so why anguish over something you actually have very little control over.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
And Oshkosh, Wisconsin had a population of 66,665 (2017)
Except EAA week when it swells to 600K

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-24-2019, 07:51 PM

Anybody go to POA MEETING LAST NIGHT WITH COMMISSIONER ARNOLD ???
Old 10-25-2019, 06:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,511 Times in 710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psgolf@comcast.net View Post
Anybody go to POA MEETING LAST NIGHT WITH COMMISSIONER ARNOLD ???
Bradly Arnold is not a commissioner, he is the county administrator. He's an employee of the county and not an elected official. He is also the most powerful man in county government.

For lack of a better term he is the Spin Master of Sumter County. He sets the agenda for the county meetings and provides the information to the County Commissioners to help them make decisions. To put it more correctly, he gives them just enough information to make the decisions he wants. While our County Commissioners are not all knowledgeable on how the county budgets and operations work, he is, and he set the direction of the county. A professional bureaucrat.

This is the individual that is responsible for doing things like, reviewing the required 5 year budget projections for the county, establishing budget priorities and managing reserve funds that are set aside for things like road repairs, and for recommending the county budget each year. He leads the lambs to slaughter at the county meetings and yet has no fear of the knife himself because he's not elected.

How can a governmental body do a 5 year look ahead every year and not see the growth that has clearly been going on here in Sumter County for years and not plan for it? Road resurfacing wasn't a surprise either, it was known to be coming and the costs were easily determined, but yet not planned for. And now, SURPIRSE, we need a 25% tax increase! These and many other things show a clear course of misdirection within the county leadership, more interested in touting "no tax increase for 14 years" than addressing the requirements of the here and now and of tomorrow. Mr. Arnold's recent attempt to pass the buck and the blame to the City of Wildwood for approving the recent growth of The Villages clearly shows the lack of depth of integrity he possesses.

No I didn't attend the meeting, I didn't need to, I didn't need to hear more BS, deflections, and evasions of why this tax increase has come about. He may think he deserves 14 feathers in his cap for a job well done when what he really deserves is a good boot in the arse and shown to the door. The real question now becomes do are Commissioners recognize the root cause of the problem and do they have the intestinal fortitude to show him the door or will they continue blindly follow him to slaughter?
www.goldwingnut.com
YouTube –YouTube.com/GoldWingnut and YouTube.com/GoldWingnutProductions
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Society is produced by our wants, and government by wickedness; the former promotes our happiness positively by uniting our affections, the latter negatively by restraining our vices. - Thomas Paine, 1/10/1776
Old 10-25-2019, 07:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

OK new Tax bills are out. Mine went up $213.16. I'll take it

Last edited by skip0358; 10-25-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Tax notices are out as of today. I got mine via online
Old 10-25-2019, 11:38 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Bradly Arnold is not a commissioner, he is the county administrator. He's an employee of the county and not an elected official. He is also the most powerful man in county government.

For lack of a better term he is the Spin Master of Sumter County. He sets the agenda for the county meetings and provides the information to the County Commissioners to help them make decisions. To put it more correctly, he gives them just enough information to make the decisions he wants. While our County Commissioners are not all knowledgeable on how the county budgets and operations work, he is, and he set the direction of the county. A professional bureaucrat.

This is the individual that is responsible for doing things like, reviewing the required 5 year budget projections for the county, establishing budget priorities and managing reserve funds that are set aside for things like road repairs, and for recommending the county budget each year. He leads the lambs to slaughter at the county meetings and yet has no fear of the knife himself because he's not elected.

How can a governmental body do a 5 year look ahead every year and not see the growth that has clearly been going on here in Sumter County for years and not plan for it? Road resurfacing wasn't a surprise either, it was known to be coming and the costs were easily determined, but yet not planned for. And now, SURPIRSE, we need a 25% tax increase! These and many other things show a clear course of misdirection within the county leadership, more interested in touting "no tax increase for 14 years" than addressing the requirements of the here and now and of tomorrow. Mr. Arnold's recent attempt to pass the buck and the blame to the City of Wildwood for approving the recent growth of The Villages clearly shows the lack of depth of integrity he possesses.

No I didn't attend the meeting, I didn't need to, I didn't need to hear more BS, deflections, and evasions of why this tax increase has come about. He may think he deserves 14 feathers in his cap for a job well done when what he really deserves is a good boot in the arse and shown to the door. The real question now becomes do are Commissioners recognize the root cause of the problem and do they have the intestinal fortitude to show him the door or will they continue blindly follow him to slaughter?

Bingo!!!
Old 10-25-2019, 12:45 PM

We closed on our house in May. Our taxes are about $350 more than our sellers paid in 2018. Part of it is the higher assessment.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Waiting, nothing in my email yet.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Waiting, nothing in my email yet.
You don't have to wait. Go to Sumter County Property Appraiser - Joey Hooten - Bushnell, Florida - 352-569-6800 and print it up.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Wow, it works. I keep being amazed how efficient you guys are! Thank you.

Last edited by Velvet; 10-25-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:59 PM

UWUA Local G555. Cleveland, Ohio. 50 Years of marriage what a blessing!
Old 10-31-2019, 05:15 PM
Platinum member

I just went on-line and checked my tax bill for 2019. Wow, what is all the crying about. On our designer home built in 2009 went up a total of 142.00 a year or $11.85 a month. To make up the difference I'll pass on lunch once a month at Culver's. After not raising my tax's on this home for nine years. Thank you Sumter County and school board.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
I just went on-line and checked my tax bill for 2019. Wow, what is all the crying about. On our designer home built in 2009 went up a total of 142.00 a year or $11.85 a month. To make up the difference I'll pass on lunch once a month at Culver's. After not raising my tax's on this home for nine years. Thank you Sumter County and school board.
Why would you make comments after logical thought and reasonable conclusions?
Old 10-31-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
What website is used to check property taxes?
Closed Thread

Tags
sumter, taxes, villages, compare, counties

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.