Sumter vs Lake County

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 10:40 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnsbill View Post
If you are talking the prehistoric side of the road - the pools are open later - 11PM in a normal world
I had to laugh when you called it the “prehistoric side”. But didn’t know about the 11:00pm pool closing time. Like a previous post said. “Every area of The Villages has pros and cons”.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 AM
Default $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I own a home in Sumter County and am looking at a home to buy in Lake County.

Does anyone know if there are any disadvantages to buy and living in Lake?
Higher taxes and water bills. When I decided to buy I was advised by many folks to only consider buying in Sumter county.

If you're lucky you can also get SECO electric and you'll have lower electric bills.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadoiron View Post
Higher taxes and water bills. When I decided to buy I was advised by many folks to only consider buying in Sumter county.

If you're lucky you can also get SECO electric and you'll have lower electric bills.
I live in Pine Ridge. The utility operator for this portion of TV is The City Of Leesburg (just checked). SECO, Duke are not options for this portion of Lake County.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:45 PM

Not true, everyone except those Villagers who live in the enclave ( the original homes that are within the boundaries of the city of Lady Lake) pay a bond. The residents of the enclave pay Lady Lake City taxes.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:53 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR
Default What Bond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerk View Post
Not true, everyone except those Villagers who live in the enclave ( the original homes that are within the boundaries of the city of Lady Lake) pay a bond. The residents of the enclave pay Lady Lake City taxes.
What is a bond? I'm looking on my Sumter County Tax bill and I cant find it. There was a Bond on the house for infrastructure. which is the same as an impact fee up North, its been paid for years.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
What is a bond? I'm looking on my Sumter County Tax bill and I cant find it. There was a Bond on the house for infrastructure. which is the same as an impact fee up North, its been paid for years.
If you look at your actual tax bill it will say "UNIT XXX- BOND $$$$$$$" unless it's been paid off.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	bond.png
Views:	310
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	87072  
Old 11-24-2020, 04:28 PM
Investment Painting Contractors Investment Painting Contractors is offline
TOTV SPONSOR

Ed like I said its been paid off for years. It's an impact fee. So I don't think it matters if you're in Lake or Sumter. When it's paid off you're done. Len
Old 11-24-2020, 05:49 PM

Taxes are pretty close to the same in Lake County portion of TV as Sumter Cty. The increase in Sumter taxes last year came pretty close to making them the same
Old 11-24-2020, 06:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by genobambino View Post
Taxes are pretty close to the same in Lake County portion of TV as Sumter Cty. The increase in Sumter taxes last year came pretty close to making them the same
I don't think so. The higher millage rate in Lake County equates to over $1,200 more in taxes on a house assessed at $250,000.

SUMMARY OF 2020 TAX BILLS

Sumter County
Unincorporated
Ad Valorem: Millage rate 12.0498
Non-Ad Valorem: Fire district, maintenance and bond

In Wildwood
Ad Valorem: Millage rate 15.4478

Lake County
In Fruitland Park
Ad Valorem: Millage rate 17.6785

In Lady Lake
Ad Valorem: Millage rate 17.1613
Non-Ad Valorem: Fire district and waste
No maintenance, no bond

Marion County
Unincorporated
Ad Valorem: Millage rate 16.4967
Non-Ad Valorem: Fire district, maintenance, bond, waste and storm water
Old 11-24-2020, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

if you move to Lake County you'll most likely have a newer home than if you bought in Sumter

many of the folks living in the villages in Lake County are still 'new bees' and look to connect with others...the folks in Sumter that have been there awhile might have established their circle of friends...so it might be easier to integrate with your neighbors in Lake County

I feel that the taxes are reasonable, not 'off the chart' as some on this thread are indicating...and I look at it as another way to help the community where many of the people that we depend upon to provide the services in TV live with their families...but if $1K is a huge concern for you, then Sumter County may be your best bet. Taxes there only went up in Sumter 25% last year...

Duke Energy is not the provider in Lake County, you'll deal with Leesburg Electric...which in the 4 years that we've been here has been outstanding and reasonable rates

It's all about location, location, location....and what you can afford

Good luck figuring it all out
Old 11-24-2020, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Your question:
Quote:
What is a bond? I'm looking on my Sumter County Tax bill and I cant find it.
My reply was (with attached photo):
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
If you look at your actual tax bill it will say "UNIT XXX- BOND $$$$$$$" unless it's been paid off.
You replied with:
Quote:
Ed like I said its been paid off for years. It's an impact fee. So I don't think it matters if you're in Lake or Sumter. When it's paid off you're done. Len
Unless my 73yr old eyes are foolin' me which is possible you asked "WHAT IS A BOND" and then wrote that YOU CAN'T FIND IT on your Sumter County tax bill so I answered the 2nd part of that question with a screen print to show you where the bond was listed so I'm not quite sure what your last response was about. Maybe I missed something ??

As for LAKE COUNTY ("Historic Section" of T.V.) there is no bond there. Not sure of the rest of Lake. As to what a BOND is there are lots of threads about that.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
This is the first that I’ve seen it called an impact fee.
Try going to Village Community Development Districts to see what the residential bond really is.....

Tags
lake, county, sumter, home, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.