Why Are Some Posts Blocked or Edited?

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Default Why Are Some Posts Blocked or Edited?

Perhaps I don't understand the guidelines, but why would the administrator(s) of this forum use its power to block, what I believe, to be useful information that may be helpful to many of us who live in TV and also participate in this forum?

I have tried to request contact information for a fellow TV resident and my post are either blocked ( not posted ) or the responses I receive are edited by the administrator. This is troublesome and I'm wondering why it's happening and how often it has been happening to other forum members? I understand that any type of offensive language should be blocked, but I'm at a loss why requesting contact information is either blocked or edited.

If the administrator opts to block this post, too, please contact me directly to help me understand what I'm doing wrong.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 AM
Platinum member

This may or may not apply to you:
You can send private messages to TOTV members, but trying to contact others through this website may be beyond privacy limits. If you are trying to contact someone who is not a member, you will be more successful if you use other means.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijusluvit View Post
This may or may not apply to you:
You can send private messages to TOTV members, but trying to contact others through this website may be beyond privacy limits. If you are trying to contact someone who is not a member, you will be more successful if you use other means.
I understand the restrictions you mention and I agree with them.

In my case, I requested contact information for a member of TOTV. When I received responses that contained his telephone number, they were edited with *******.

I'm not trying to rock the boat here. As a TOTV member, I do my best to participate and to stay active on this forum. I'm simply trying to understand why my posts and their responses seem to violate the TOTV guidelines.

Dan
Natick, MA
Old 05-22-2011, 10:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Sometimes, but not always, if you are trying to find out contact info for a contractor, business, or even just an individual who does hobby-type work once in a while, the messages are blocked because the TOTV administrators want those businesses/people to purchase advertising rather than get word-of-mouth advertising for free. And, sometimes in the past, there have been members who self-advertised during the forum discussions and refused to buy advertising. They used TOTV to make lots of money, or to set up circumstances where they could make lots of money after moving here. So, sometimes posts like those are removed. It depends on the individual business and their past relationship with TOTV, I think.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I like the privacy policy of TOTV especially after some of the horror stories generated from Facebook, Twitter etc. I also like the fact that the TH monitor the forums becuase it is helpful when a member forgets or was unaware of the rules. All of the aforementioned and more making this a viable tool in which one can learn, gain helpful local information and have some laughter.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Sometimes, but not always, if you are trying to find out contact info for a contractor, business, or even just an individual who does hobby-type work once in a while, the messages are blocked because the TOTV administrators want those businesses/people to purchase advertising rather than get word-of-mouth advertising for free. And, sometimes in the past, there have been members who self-advertised during the forum discussions and refused to buy advertising. They used TOTV to make lots of money, or to set up circumstances where they could make lots of money after moving here. So, sometimes posts like those are removed. It depends on the individual business and their past relationship with TOTV, I think.
This is my understanding as well.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Administrator

We have had members take unfair advantage of the exposure they get on the forum.

One member used his screen name to promote his specialty. He advertised for a short spell, and was thrilled with the response. Then the advertisement was withdrawn because of the the amount of business was overwhelming. He praised the forum for that.

Some time later he began entering self promoting posts. We asked him to stop. He accused of of being greedy.

We don't want any business self promoting, previous advertiser or not. If we allowed businesses to toot their own horn in the open forum members would tire of it and leave.

We don't want to offend our paying advertisers, either. Why should they pay while somebody else wants to get it for free? And when he can't, accuse us of being greedy?

Next case was an "expert" we permitted to post and asked if his business would be opened in The Villages. He said no. He, too, used his name to promote his specialty.

Finally we found out second hand that he, in fact, had planned and ultimately opened in The Villages and advertised elsewhere. That was after we granted him entree to our members. After he repeated declined to support our forum, we declined to continue supporting him.

Third case, we accepted an advertiser and worked hard to please him. Shortly thereafter we learned that he was on another site trashing our forum. We issued him a refund, and removed him from the forum in all forms.

Cases like these three led us to prohibit use of a business name in a screen name, and to check for self-promoting posts and stopping them. There are more than these.

Next time you hear of some forum action of which you don't approve, ask the person who is barred for the complete and unvarnished truth. Do you think we would block a person just because we didn't like him? Usually there is a long, long story behind that, and we don't take that action lightly.

Same goes for banned members. I can't tell you the number of times I heard of how we had unjustly banned a person for no reason at all. You should ask the person to explain in detail why he or she were banned, what type of language was used in Private Messages and in email to us. And be discerning about what you hear from that person. Ask the person why he thinks we would ban him or her for no reason at all while we have thousands of other members signed up.

Think again, and question whether we would ban a person simply for no reason at all.

Our advertising depends almost solely on how many times people see it. Why would we block a person from seeing it?

Why would we block a person from advertising his business? If he or she attempts to take advantage of us, we see no reason why we should not protect ourselves from our business being used to promote his.

Those who decline to understand that are short-sighted and unjustly critical.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I like the privacy policy of TOTV especially after some of the horror stories generated from Facebook, Twitter etc. I also like the fact that the TH monitor the forums becuase it is helpful when a member forgets or was unaware of the rules. All of the aforementioned and more making this a viable tool in which one can learn, gain helpful local information and have some laughter.
Well said, Rubicon.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony View Post
We have had members take unfair advantage of the exposure they get on the forum.

One member used his screen name to promote his specialty. He advertised for a short spell, and was thrilled with the response. Then the advertisement was withdrawn because of the the amount of business was overwhelming. He praised the forum for that.

Some time later he began entering self promoting posts. We asked him to stop. He accused of of being greedy.

We don't want any business self promoting, previous advertiser or not. If we allowed businesses to toot their own horn in the open forum members would tire of it and leave.

We don't want to offend our paying advertisers, either. Why should they pay while somebody else wants to get it for free? And when he can't, accuse us of being greedy?

Next case was an "expert" we permitted to post and asked if his business would be opened in The Villages. He said no. He, too, used his name to promote his specialty.

Finally we found out second hand that he, in fact, had planned and ultimately opened in The Villages and advertised elsewhere. That was after we granted him entree to our members. After he repeated declined to support our forum, we declined to continue supporting him.

Third case, we accepted an advertiser and worked hard to please him. Shortly thereafter we learned that he was on another site trashing our forum. We issued him a refund, and removed him from the forum in all forms.

Cases like these three led us to prohibit use of a business name in a screen name, and to check for self-promoting posts and stopping them. There are more than these.

Next time you hear of some forum action of which you don't approve, ask the person who is barred for the complete and unvarnished truth. Do you think we would block a person just because we didn't like him? Usually there is a long, long story behind that, and we don't take that action lightly.

Same goes for banned members. I can't tell you the number of times I heard of how we had unjustly banned a person for no reason at all. You should ask the person to explain in detail why he or she were banned, what type of language was used in Private Messages and in email to us. And be discerning about what you hear from that person. Ask the person why he thinks we would ban him or her for no reason at all while we have thousands of other members signed up.

Think again, and question whether we would ban a person simply for no reason at all.

Our advertising depends almost solely on how many times people see it. Why would we block a person from seeing it?

Why would we block a person from advertising his business? If he or she attempts to take advantage of us, we see no reason why we should not protect ourselves from our business being used to promote his.

Those who decline to understand that are short-sighted and unjustly critical.
I asked for an explanation and I received it. Thank you.

Dan
Natick, MA
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.