SunPass : Highway Robbery?

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2020, 07:35 PM
Default SunPass : Highway Robbery?

I went to my SunPass account today to update my credit card info and happened to check my recent toll charges,

On a recent trip to Daytona I decided to take the new toll road that bypasses some of SR 46 through the bear sanctuary to see if I would save some time.

I was surprised to see that I was charged 3 times in 5 minutes for a total of $2.21.
That seems quite high for about 7 miles.

I tried a live chat, but it wouldn't allow my inquiry to be submitted.
I'll try to call them tomorrow to see if they have a malfunction with their new system.

So if you travel that way to Sanford Airport or I-4 check your account.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatskillBill View Post
I went to my SunPass account today to update my credit card info and happened to check my recent toll charges,

On a recent trip to Daytona I decided to take the new toll road that bypasses some of SR 46 through the bear sanctuary to see if I would save some time.

I was surprised to see that I was charged 3 times in 5 minutes for a total of $2.21.

I'll try to call them tomorrow to see if they have a malfunction with their new system.

Not trying to make light of your story but..... I think I'm starting to lose it a little. The first 3 things That came to me after reading were:
1. Was "Highway" robbery an intended pun?
2. $2.21 is a cheap price to not have to walk through a bear sanctuary.
3. If you went 7 miles in 5 minutes..... you were going at least 84 MPH.

All joking aside that does seem a little steep. Let us know what they say.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
I was surprised to see that I was charged 3 times in 5 minutes for a total of $2.21. That seems quite high for about 7 miles.
You were charged a total of $2.21 that is a STEAL compared to most toll charges. I was charged $5+ for going a few miles on one of the roads near Orlando. Or did you mean 3 X $2.21 = $6.63 ?????
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Where is this bear sanctuary?
Old 10-14-2020, 10:12 PM

SR 46 east of Mt Plymouth, there is the Rock Springs Run State Reserve, Seminole State Forest, and the Black Bear Wilderness Area. Try Google maps to see it.

There must be quite a few bears around because the highway has 8 ft. high fences with barbed wire on top and tunnels under the road so they can roam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Old 10-15-2020, 04:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Funny, that was my first thought as well.
Old 10-15-2020, 04:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,516 Posts

It's the 1cent in the total that would bug me!
Old 10-15-2020, 04:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:

Is this a joke?
Old 10-15-2020, 05:05 AM
Veteran member

Sounds about right.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:12 AM
Default Sunpass

Always check the account. I frequently am charged as a tractor-trailer going through the Leesburg toll.

You can send Sunpass an email and they are very good about issuing credit.

This does happen a lot if you use the turnpike you have to check your statements.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:25 AM

Wow....$2.21 I don’t know if that’s worth even turning my computer on...amazing what gets people excited these days...
Old 10-15-2020, 05:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
SR 46 east of Mt Plymouth, there is the Rock Springs Run State Reserve, Seminole State Forest, and the Black Bear Wilderness Area. Try Google maps to see it.

There must be quite a few bears around because the highway has 8 ft. high fences with barbed wire on top and tunnels under the road so they can roam.
Hmm wonder if we could build a smaller one here put up fence between my house and a neighbor. Would we need ARC approval if we just had say 2 bears?
Old 10-15-2020, 05:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:

Shall we head north and take the Lincoln Tunnel into New York? $16.00 cash. $13.75 with EZ Pass. Same with the George Washington Bridge. Pay to Play! The Chesapeake Bay Bridge is a bargain: $4.00 cash and $2.50 EZ Pass. Golden Gate Bridge: $8.70. The Channel Tunnel from the UK to France? €49. The Pennsylvania Turnpike from near Philadelphia to near Pittsburgh is around $38.

I sort of like the idea of toll roads. Ideally, the people using the roads pay a substantial percentage of the cost of construction and maintenance. (I don’t know if that really happens.) You wanted to save time by avoiding a busy road and taking a special road built so you could do that. Now you know that the cost for that privilege is $2.21. You don’t have to do it again.

There has been talk about making all or most highways toll roads. People who don’t like it can take surface streets. I don’t like that idea, myself. I’d rather just pay for it through various taxes, such as gasoline taxes. However, there is something to say for the idea of making the people who use the road pay more of the cost of upkeep. And if I’m driving, say, in the Los Angeles area during rush hour, would I pay an extra $20 to avoid a couple hours of traffic and drive fast? You bet! Money well spent!
Old 10-15-2020, 06:22 AM
Default Bear sanctuary?

Quote:

BEAR SANCTUARY? are you just being cute about the Ocala Forest?

http://www.cmapgurley.home.comcast.net
Old 10-15-2020, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

We have it cheap here in Florida. Don't complain . california . gas tax is double
Closed Thread

Tags
sunpass, recent, toll, check, account

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.