Sunset and Temperature

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2022, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,930 Times in 2,700 Posts
Default Sunset and Temperature

Sun sets today at 4:19 and the high temperature is forecasted to be 38 degrees where we are up north. Contrast that to the Villages, where the sun sets at 5:30 and the high temperature is forecasted to be 80 degrees. Dam, can’t wait to get my a$$ to Florida, why would anyone in their right mind want to be up north given a choice?
Old 12-09-2022, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

Well I do , I’ve loved Florida for over 20 years but I’m sticking to my plan , 84 Monday and at 85 I’m off to Boston for good , will I take some cold months off , yes but that’s my usual 3 months I already do and I’ll take them between Hawaii and Thailand
Old 12-09-2022, 01:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Sun sets today at 4:19 and the high temperature is forecasted to be 38 degrees where we are up north. Contrast that to the Villages, where the sun sets at 5:30 and the high temperature is forecasted to be 80 degrees. Dam, can’t wait to get my a$$ to Florida, why would anyone in their right mind want to be up north given a choice?
whereabouts are ye?

I grew up in Cincinnati, but spent my working years in what is called the Southern Tier of NY. Not way up north in the Adirondacks, but almost on the NY-Penn border, a bit west of due south of Syracuse. I was not prepared for how much longer and colder and grayer the winters are there than they were in Cincinnati.

I hated it. I don't hate it as much as I used to hate it, but that's is probably because it's a memory. Memories can be like that.

My advice? Get down here ASAP.
Old 12-09-2022, 07:24 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

The longest 20 years I ever spent was 30 months in Rochester, NY.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-09-2022, 08:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
whereabouts are ye?

I grew up in Cincinnati, but spent my working years in what is called the Southern Tier of NY. Not way up north in the Adirondacks, but almost on the NY-Penn border, a bit west of due south of Syracuse. I was not prepared for how much longer and colder and grayer the winters are there than they were in Cincinnati.

I hated it. I don't hate it as much as I used to hate it, but that's is probably because it's a memory. Memories can be like that.

My advice? Get down here ASAP.
We are in western Massachusetts (the Berkshires), about a 2 1/2 hour drive (with no traffic) due west from Boston. If we go about a half hour north we are in Vermont, half hour south to Connecticut, and half hour west to New York. We are in the hills, so it’s typically colder and more windy here than the rest of the state because of the elevation. Where we live it’s very rural and a totally different place than Boston and the rest of the eastern part of the state, more like rural Vermont. It’s a beautiful area, but this time of the year I’ll take the Villages seven days a week and twice on Sundays. I concur with your advise, need to go south ASAP. Christmas can’t be over fast enough for my liking, the countdown is on!

Last edited by tophcfa; 12-10-2022 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,635 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
We are in western Massachusetts (the Berkshires), about a 2 1/2 hour drive (with no traffic) due west from Boston. If we go about a half hour north we are in Vermont, half hour south to Connecticut, and half hour east to New York. We are in the hills, so it’s typically colder and more windy here than the rest of the state because of the elevation. Where we live it’s very rural and a totally different place than Boston and the rest of the eastern part of the state, more like rural Vermont. It’s a beautiful area, but this time of the year I’ll take the Villages seven days a week and twice on Sundays. I concur with your advise, need to go south ASAP. Christmas can’t be over fast enough for my liking, the countdown is on!
I am somewhat familiar with your area. I have driven the Mass Pike on many occasions, traveling to Maine, or Boston, or The Cape. That part of Mass is a lot like my part of NY. Nothing like the urban centers to the east, NYC or Boston. And firkin' COLD and DARK in winter.
I once traveled the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston, on the 1st of December. It was covered in snow. I sang the song the whole day, and now every year on Dec.1 I remember that day, and get that ear worm going.

Happy Holidays to you, and safe travels down.
Old 12-10-2022, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

So little different. I love watching the snow fall, at 3am while I am snow blowing my driveway. A real treat is if there is lighting off to the distance, making you think what a great time to enjoy nature. The deer walk past saying HI, the bunnies hop by, and that very small red fox, trots down the street.

Then the sun comes up and makes the snow sparkle. Hopefully enough snow to open the ski slopes, and make great snow people.

Makes me sad when the snow turns to brown and slushy. That’s when we come down to TV, nothing worse than snow that is no longer fluffy and white.

It’s great to have Winter wonderland and Sun whenever we want.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
So little different. I love watching the snow fall, at 3am while I am snow blowing my driveway. A real treat is if there is lighting off to the distance, making you think what a great time to enjoy nature. The deer walk past saying HI, the bunnies hop by, and that very small red fox, trots down the street.

Then the sun comes up and makes the snow sparkle. Hopefully enough snow to open the ski slopes, and make great snow people.

Makes me sad when the snow turns to brown and slushy. That’s when we come down to TV, nothing worse than snow that is no longer fluffy and white.

It’s great to have Winter wonderland and Sun whenever we want.
I hear ya, the fresh fluffy white snow is beautiful. When younger, as a die hard skier, the more snow and longer the winter the happier I was. Now that my knees are trashed the skies have been swapped out for golf clubs. Still am hoping for a couple good storms between now and Christmas before heading to the Villages for the winter. Below is my tractor which doubles as a snow plow. I love going out late at night during a blizzard and plowing, the light bar makes it like daylight in front of the tractor. Our driveway is the length of a couple football fields so snow blowing would be out of the question. When we are in Florida for the winter my neighbor takes care of plowing us out in exchange for use of the tractor. Good deal for both of us. The thing I learned to hate about the snow is it seems to always get warm and rain following a blizzard, then it gets cold and freezes into treacherous ice. But that’s what Florida is for, no ice and year round golf : )

Merry Christmas
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	5D267583-B8E1-4AAB-A0AD-39A9BCB2B972.jpg
Views:	1449
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	96072  
Old 12-10-2022, 10:59 AM

I lived in Maine for 71 years, God came to me on my Birthday and said, "Bob you've lived in God's country long enough". He said it's time to move to The Villages, Florida. Even I don't spend the winters in Maine anymore. (He was right, I love T.V.)
Old 12-10-2022, 11:17 AM

I have a one week snowmobile trip in January 2023. I have the best of both worlds. Not for everyone, but my group of hard core riders friends are the best.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnn54 View Post
I lived in Maine for 71 years, God came to me on my Birthday and said, "Bob you've lived in God's country long enough". He said it's time to move to The Villages, Florida. Even I don't spend the winters in Maine anymore. (He was right, I love T.V.)
He invited you to God’s on deck circle. Hopefully the batter in the box now will foul off lots of pitches and have a very long at bat.
Old 12-10-2022, 12:20 PM
Default Summer Temps and Humidity

Quote:
No one on this thread mentioned the brutal summer temps and humidity. And I can't afford to be a snowbird. So I heard Villagers will hybernate in their homes from 11am to 6pm. While we in the Northeast may hibernate in the winter. But not bad. Thanks. MarvinH
Old 12-10-2022, 04:05 PM
Platinum member

Why do folks who live in the south, care so much about the weather in the north? Those of us who are in the north now couldn’t care less what the temperature is in Florida. When I’m back to the Villages then it’ll matter.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:35 PM
Platinum member

I grew up on Long Island and also lived in NYC and NJ.
My Husband’s company opened a campus in Tampa in the late 90’s and
we were lucky to move down.

We don’t miss the snow & cold ( and taxes) at all.
But when you live there you just get used to it.
Sort of like we do during the very hot Summer here.
Old 12-10-2022, 05:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

I still love watching the snow fall but I can’t take the cold or the shoveling. We are north of Boston. Today it was 26 out and I could only last about an hour outside. Next week we are in Aruba and sometime in January we hope to be in Florida. We miss our house, just need to find away for my wife to retire so we can spend a lot more time in Florida.
Closed Thread

Tags
temperature, north, degrees, forecasted, high

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.