Super Bowl National Anthem

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
With all the money spent on the Super Bowl, wouldn't you think they could find somebody who not only can remember the words to our National Anthem, but can also sing it the way it is supposed to be. Christina Aguilera not only screwed up the lyrics, but she ad-libbed so much the song was almost unrecognizable. Just my opinion!
We were visiting our daughter when the Super Bowl was on yesterday and I was in their den working on a printer/computer problem for them. All of a sudden I heard an awful screeching coming from the living room. For a minute I thought the cat had caught her tail in the sliding door! Since I wasn't watching the performance I can't really comment beyond what I have written here, except to say that my ears are still hurting this morning!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Eternal Member

Some people say Whitney Houston lip synced Anthem.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Veteran member

Sorry, no sympathy for Christine. She isn't getting paid for and hasn't reached her present status by having "nerves." She should have rehearsed it until it was burned into her brain.
Too bad our National Anthem isn't a rap song, huh?
Old 02-07-2011, 12:19 PM

I thought she did fine....I bet most did not know she missed the line....not the worst thing that could happen....hey remember the equipment "malfunction"???? This is the super bowl...live. Give her a break...after all she is from Pittsburgh....and we are all mourning the loss. Great game played by the Packers...my hat off to them.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARBUCKSSAMMY View Post
I thought she did fine....I bet most did not know she missed the line....not the worst thing that could happen....hey remember the equipment "malfunction"???? This is the super bowl...live. Give her a break...after all she is from Pittsburgh....and we are all mourning the loss. Great game played by the Packers...my hat off to them.
Love your sportsmanship!
Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARBUCKSSAMMY View Post
I honestly could not tell what she was singing much of the time, so I would not know if she got the lines right or not.

That twenty something from Glee nailed her performance though.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Unhappy

Poor Christina...made a big mistake.
Old 02-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

This Super Bowl singer and half time entertainment issue is going to continue as long as the NFL and Networks continue to focus on keeping the 18-25 demographic entertained so they don't switch to some XBOX game instead of watching a Super Bowl they may have no interest in one way or the other.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Sage

Just wondering. Is this just a U.S. thing? Has anyone experienced similar with national anthems in other countries? I mean, singers who feel the need to improvise the melody to "make it their own"? This is the NATIONAL ANTHEM!!! It is not their latest potential top 40 song. I don't expect it to be sung without emotion, but I expect it to be sung with respect for the words and music. I wondered what those service people overseas thought about the "rendition" they heard. They had a Medal of Honor recipient at halftime. Wonder what he thought of it. I hope Red doesn't consider me one of the intolerant people, because not many things push my buttons, but that did.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Send a message via AIM to Mickedamouse24
Thumbs down

I, personally am all for banning so-called celebrities from performing the National Anthem at sporting events! This song needs to be sung/performed as written and arranged in it's original format. Do it correctly and without all the "oh yeahs, etc!" or don't do it at all!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Just wondering. Is this just a U.S. thing? Has anyone experienced similar with national anthems in other countries? I mean, singers who feel the need to improvise the melody to "make it their own"? This is the NATIONAL ANTHEM!!! It is not their latest potential top 40 song. I don't expect it to be sung without emotion, but I expect it to be sung with respect for the words and music. I wondered what those service people overseas thought about the "rendition" they heard. They had a Medal of Honor recipient at halftime. Wonder what he thought of it. I hope Red doesn't consider me one of the intolerant people, because not many things push my buttons, but that did.
There's a BIG difference about being upset when someone changes an anthem and being upset because someone accidently mucks up a line. I didn't like her rendition but I did understand that even the greats (and she's not one of them) make mistakes and that stagefright does happen. As to what many others thought about her rendition, I'm willing to bet that many of the younger military liked it -- the traditionalists probably had issues. I really don't think she meant to do anything with disrespect. Course, I came from the generation that thought the greatest rendition of the Star Spangled Banner was done by a guitarist who played behind his back, smashed his guitar on impulse and was known to burn more than one guitar on stage and I still get chills when I hear Jimi Hendrix's version.

As to other anthems, I have heard the Canadian anthem changed by stylists. "Oh, Brittania" has never been altered that I know of. I don't think anyone has touched the French or German anthems. Have no clue about Italy. And absolutely no clue about the rest of the world.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Default Yuck!

Quite frankly, I don't think she has any talent whatsoever.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Gold member

Thank you.

My wife like it and I thought it was horrible. At least she didn't grab her crotch or spit.

Black Eyed Peas were awful too.

What no Kid Rock???

Yes I am serious; listen to his album Born Free. More Country and no Rap.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator

People, you're talking about my friend Christina here. For goodness sake, she has one of the best voices I have ever heard. Her range is astounding. Her talent to entertain is amazing.

Here was a young woman singing from her heart. A professional, of course, but singing from her heart. She put her soul into it and tried to sing to her country. Singing, no less, without musical accompaniment.

Singing in front of maybe a hundred million people.

So she missed a line, and quite honestly I didn't catch that flub. My head must have filled it in. I was listening and thinking of what she meant, her version of a patriotic song. One of the most difficult songs that anybody, professional or amateur, can sing.

She missed a line in front of a hundred million people, without musical backup, and one very difficult song. She did just fine.

Now, let me hear from all those of you who have never made a mistake in your specialty under the sharp eyes of many who were sure that you should not have flubbed something so important.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Sage

No matter how you take what happened during her performance, I find it hard to believe that people do not think she has talent. From the first time I heard her sing I knew that there was something special there. Listen to some of her stuff on youtube.com

Here is a fun song I think you might like (YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON WATCH on YOUTUBE LINK):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu-7rPdFjvI[/ame]

And it barely touches the ranges of her talent.

Video did not stream well for me, here is just audio.
http://www.emp3world.com/to_download.php?id=112865
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.