Super Bowl National Anthem

Closed Thread
Old 02-07-2011, 05:07 PM

I agree with you Tony.
Even the Chief Justice blew his lines at the swearing in... that is just as important as the National Anthem...we all are human...I feel most confident that these folks meant no disrespect.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooper View Post
With all the money spent on the Super Bowl, wouldn't you think they could find somebody who not only can remember the words to our National Anthem, but can also sing it the way it is supposed to be. Christina Aguilera not only screwed up the lyrics, but she ad-libbed so much the song was almost unrecognizable. Just my opinion!
One of my pet peeves is people that have to turn the National Anthem into their style of music. Sing it like it was meant to be sung. It's not opera or rock.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Why not take it back to its original purity and read it as Francis Scott Key's poem, without the British drinking song that sets it to music?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Go Tony!
Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Default Rudimentary skills

The first mistake was that no schooled musician has told her she needs to take college music major courses and learn, for one thing, Beginning Vocal Techniques. There, she would learn what musical "phrases" are, and that you don't gulp a giant breath after the first four words and before the phrase ending word, "see". This poor technique is not even high school level...even jr. high students are taught to complete a phrase before breathing.

Secondly, she sure as heck did not win five grammies without instrumental accompaniment nor without hours of sound mixing/engineering to correct the inability to sing in tune and stay in the same key. She and 99 percent of singers should never sing solo in public without accompaniment...especially with the intervals and range of the national anthem. It is treacherous for even the best and with instrumental backup to stay in tune. Whenever a singer steps up to sing this anthem unaccompanied, it is always a question of "how is he/she gonna butcher it today?".

But this is Hollywood's product and if it makes money, that is all that matters.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
One of my pet peeves is people that have to turn the National Anthem into their style of music. Sing it like it was meant to be sung. It's not opera or rock.
I didn't notice the flub on the lines. I had tuned her out when she she started "showboating" her style. Don't feel this is a tune to do improv on to the point of crooning. Lady Gaga next year????
Old 02-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickedamouse24 View Post
I, personally am all for banning so-called celebrities from performing the National Anthem at sporting events! This song needs to be sung/performed as written and arranged in it's original format. Do it correctly and without all the "oh yeahs, etc!" or don't do it at all!
I'm with you on this for sure.
I also hope this is the last time she gets the opportunity to butcher our anthem.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
No matter how you take what happened during her performance, I find it hard to believe that people do not think she has talent. From the first time I heard her sing I knew that there was something special there. Listen to some of her stuff on youtube.com

Here is a fun song I think you might like (YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON WATCH on YOUTUBE LINK):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu-7rPdFjvI

And it barely touches the ranges of her talent.

Video did not stream well for me, here is just audio.
http://www.emp3world.com/to_download.php?id=112865
It does come pretty closer though to "touching" her talent.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.