Surge protection of home for lightning strikes

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 PM

westom, what do you do at your home?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 PM

SECO offers some free indoor protection to go with the whole house rented one. The cost is right and they don't use any power so install them.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zummy View Post
westom, what do you do at your home?
My Intermatic 'whole house' protector was once sold in Home Depot for $35. Today, I would have to buy the Cutler-Hammer protector there for less than $50. I use all electronics during every thunderstorm. For example, to follow lightning on the internet. To compare what the internet was reporting while watching same outside. And without concern.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:24 AM

I had recently heard that Pike Electric down in Sumter Landing installs these.
Old 09-23-2011, 07:27 PM
Default Indirect Lightning Surge Protection

See the Lightning Matters column on page 18 of the September 2011 POA Bulletin that can be found on the Property Owners Association website. You will find an article written by a retired electrical engineer discussing indirect lightning, primary surge protection and secondary surge protection.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=westom;397519]You have completely missed the point of any protector. No protector stops any surges. What does better than a protector on cable TV? A wire. Instead of a protector, a wire does the same job better. Best protection for cable TV is an existing wire - not a protector. All phone lines already have a ‘whole house’ protector installed for free. Apparently those ‘point of use’ recommendations come without even knowing what already exists. What is required even by code and Federal regulations.

An AC mains surge approaches that SECO protector. Now a surge makes a decision. Does it go less than ten feet to earth via ground rods? Or does it go much farther inside, blow through protection already inside appliances, and then obtain earth via those appliances? Instead, a surge goes harmlessly to earth by an easier path. Via the SECO protector IF "the quality of and connection to that earthing" is superior.

I have a great deal of difficulty understanding your position on secondary point-of-use surge protection devices (SPD) in light of the standards that call for them and the experience of numerous homeowners here in The Villages. Both NFPA 780, Standard on Lightning Protection Systems, and IEEE Guide for Surge Protection Devices recommend them.

These two references mirror the expereince we have observed where an indirect lightning strike caused a surge to be either induced into the home's wiring or entered through the electric, telephone, or cable lines. Just this summer we have heard from residents of Bonnybrook, Polo Ridge, Hadley, Sunset Ridge, and Belvedere who experienced indirect lightnig surges. Where there was secondardary point-of-use SPD in place there was no damage but where there was none there was widespread electronic damage.

Further, expereince has shown that the SPD at the exterior telephone box provides little and in some cases no protection at all.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenhart View Post
Surge protection is to protect the wiring and the equipment connected to the wiring of a house from electrical surges entering the home via the electrical lines (equipment protection). Lighting rods are to protect the structure of the house itself from lightning strikes (fire prevention).

I like to compare surge protection in a house to a seatbelt in a car, they will definitely not save you every time, but I would much rather have it on when I may need it...
bumping this thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.