Swimming

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Wink Swimming

I would like to buy a wet suit for the Winter months and would like to know where to buy and what kind. On the internet there are many different types as well as different prices; I need advice. Thanks
Old 12-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Sage

There's a Dick's Sporting Goods store in Ocala. I'd try there.

4414 SW College Road
Ocala, FL 34474
352-237-7672
Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
I would like to buy a wet suit for the Winter months and would like to know where to buy and what kind. On the internet there are many different types as well as different prices; I need advice. Thanks
Do you really think a wet suit is necessary? I've been swimming early in the morning with 50 degree temperatures, and the water is quite warm. I think that they strive to keep it in the range of 81 to 84 degrees. I hope that a wet suit never becomes necessary.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

I have been a scuba instructor for over 20 years and I get all of my wet suits from Leisure Pro (www.leisurepro.com). High quality and excellent prices.

If you are not comfortable buying online, I recommend going to a dive shop, as their employees are usually very well versed in proper fitting of wet suits. The Aquatic Center dive shop in Ocala is pretty good.

The pools are kept at 80+ degrees (my watch has a built in thermometer and it showed 82 today when we are at the pool), so a thick wetsuit is probably not necessary. A 1 mm (millimeter) neoprene shorty wetsuit should offer plenty of thermal protection. You might want to add a neoprene hood or beanie because a high percentage of body heat is lost through the top of the head.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

"Growing older but not up." J. Buffett

Coral Gables, FL, Bahamas, Belize, Wilmington, NC, Bocas del Toro, Panama and finally The Villages
Old 12-14-2011, 09:22 PM
Default Liquid peace

Try www.liquidpeace.net
Most people in our water aerobics class at Colony bought from them.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:58 PM
Sage

The pools are heated and feel wonderful. It is the getting out of the water that is the problem for me. I have a heater in my golf cart and a big thick robe for when I exit the water. I swim at night and the robe is absolutely necessary.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
The pools are heated and feel wonderful. It is the getting out of the water that is the problem for me. I have a heater in my golf cart and a big thick robe for when I exit the water. I swim at night and the robe is absolutely necessary.
A newbie wantobe question (!) - are all the pools heated? We are coming down for a week after Christmas and I had not even thought of swimming - this sounds awesome! Thanks (and I have a great hooded heavy robe - cannot wait ...but the golf carts on the life style tours are not heated - guess we take the Mini Cooper on hi heat to the pool!!!)
Old 12-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Gold member

I have never needed a wet suit shirt, pools are comfotably warm. I agree , it's the getting out, but it only hurts for a minute til you can get into a nice warm robe !
Old 12-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks for all the great replies. I think I'll start out with a thick robe and see if I need a wet suit. I'm close to a sports pool so that may work for me. I'm loving life in TV.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:48 PM

I take an evening aerobics class at Seabreeze (an awesome class taught by an awesome instructor!). If it's windy, I'm more comfortable in my neoprene jacket that I bought on line. www.liquidpeace.com and a number of on-line shops have them. You can also buy the running shirts at Target or Walgreen's that are lightweight and just act as a layer to keep the wind off of you. True that the water is a very comfortable 82ish degrees but if you are doing classes, sometimes you stop to stand and do water weights and can get chilled by the wind. Otherwise, just run for the robe and you're all set!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.