Synvisc Knee Injections

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2011, 09:22 AM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default It's Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
Wife needs both knees replaced but pushing it out as long as possible (but not out til 2014 when Healthcare Act kicks in!)

Gone the same route - cortisone then Synvisc
Well it's done...no more cortisone, no more Synvsc...she has her new knees.

Wife had both knees replaced 2 weeks ago - 4 days in hospital, 10 days in rehab.

She worked real hard and got her home the other day. She's doing great!

She's in some pain - tolerable with meds and her home PT person started her home exercises last night.

Just a heads up - It takes nearly full time person (at least after 3 days), in the household to work with the "replacee." Husband, wife, child, freind, aide, etc. !!!

You have to make them feel as safe as in rehab!
Old 10-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have arthritis in my neck and shoulders from an old accident from my early 20's. About 10 years ago I could not lift my right arm over my head without extreme pain and I could not turn my head to the left which hindered my ability to see traffic coming from my left side.
A friend of mine at work had to stop playing handball because his knees were so bad. He started taking Move Free (Glucosamine Hydrochloride and Chondroitin Suffate) made by the Schiff company. He felt so good after a couple of months he started playing again.
So, I started taking Move Free and after a few weeks all my motion returned. It is an over the counter product and I usually bought mine at Costco's but Sam's club carries it. I have been taking it every day for ten years and I have no pain and 100% movement.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Platinum member
Default Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagegolfer View Post
I have arthritis in my neck and shoulders from an old accident from my early 20's. About 10 years ago I could not lift my right arm over my head without extreme pain and I could not turn my head to the left which hindered my ability to see traffic coming from my left side.
A friend of mine at work had to stop playing handball because his knees were so bad. He started taking Move Free (Glucosamine Hydrochloride and Chondroitin Suffate) made by the Schiff company. He felt so good after a couple of months he started playing again.
So, I started taking Move Free and after a few weeks all my motion returned. It is an over the counter product and I usually bought mine at Costco's but Sam's club carries it. I have been taking it every day for ten years and I have no pain and 100% movement.
Yes! I had a 15 year old bichon frise who could no longer run up the stairs because of joint pain. The vet gave us a veterinary version of Glucosamine Hydrochloride and Chondroitin Suffate, and he was running up those stairs again in no time! Objective proof that it works!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 10-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Yes! I had a 15 year old bichon frise who could no longer run up the stairs because of joint pain. The vet gave us a veterinary version of Glucosamine Hydrochloride and Chondroitin Suffate, and he was running up those stairs again in no time! Objective proof that it works!
What a wonderful story. Yes, I was in my early 50's and gave it a try. I take it religiously every day. You can get a bottle of 160 pills for around 23 dollars. You I take 2 pills every morning so it lasts for 80 days. I just did the math and it comes to 28 cents a day.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

tpop1

Glad to hear all is going ...both knees at once WOW!

Who was the DR.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Veteran member
Location: Clinton, CT Sarasota, FL, The Villages - July 10, 2009
Default In Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
tpop1

Glad to hear all is going ...both knees at once WOW!

Who was the DR.
She had her long time ortho Dr. in Connecticut do it. She was very comfortable with him, his credentials, and his demeanor.

He's in a group and they use two Drs - one on each knee!!!! They do a lot of doubles.

He said she'd be back in a year so she should do them both at once and only have to undego 1 rehab.

_
Old 10-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpop1 View Post
She had her long time ortho Dr. in Connecticut do it. She was very comfortable with him, his credentials, and his demeanor.
He's in a group and they use two Drs - one on each knee!!!! They do a lot of doubles. He said she'd be back in a year so she should do them both at once and only have to undego 1 rehab._
Your wife did incredibly well, and probably worked hard in Rehab. Good for her!

I'm having arthroscopic surgery on both knees next week. I hope my recovery is quick so I can get on the road back to The Bubble (a 26 hour drive).
Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Default Don't postpone knee replacement

I had both knees replaced 9 weeks apart 3 years ago. By the time I had it done, I was bone on bone. In my humble opinion, don't waste time and money with injections that just put off the inevitable. Get the knees replaced while you have the health and stamina to go through the rehab. The rehab is not difficult, it is just critical to stay with it and do the exercises without fail every single day. It was the best thing I ever did for myself.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:28 PM

Just wondering if you have had your surgery and who the Dr was that you like.
Hope all is better now.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Just wondering if you have had your surgery and who the Dr was that you like. Hope all is better now.
I had arthoscopic surgery on both knees on Wed. Day surgery. Repair of meniscuus, removal of floaty bits, some debridement. I had it done in Canada so I can't recommend a Florida surgeon. Having both knees done at the same time turned out to be a bad idea. I'm just impatient and want to get back to our house in TV for the winter. Perhaps in a couple of months I'll forget about the rotten pain, and think it was a wonderful idea. I hate taking drugs but I really needed pain meds. I was taking Demoral for the first two days and it didn't help with the pain. Then I changed to Oxycontin, much better.

I thought with a walker, I'd be able to at least make trips to the bathroom, but I was in too much pain, so my husband had to mostly carry me. He still works as a Firefighter so thank heavens he is very strong. I hate asking him to take time off work. But he is a great guy and doesn't mind.

Today, for the first time, I am actually able to walk a little using the walker so things are definitely looking up! I know that Rehab won't be fun, but I have a powerful motivator, getting back to our second home in TV. I can hardly wait! Each Fall it is such a wonderful experience for us to drive into TV and know we have 182 days ahead to enjoy it. Life is good!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Platinum member

Hang in there Barefoot! It will get better from here! One of my friends had his knees "done", and the one thing he said he would do differently was to do his therapy faithfully every day because it makes a huge difference. Lots of people are rooting for you!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 10-17-2011, 08:07 PM
Default Limitations

Hyaluronan injections do not work as well for people who are over age 65 or who have the most advanced stage of osteoarthritis (based on x-rays of the knee)
Old 11-15-2011, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Hang in there Barefoot! It will get better from here! One of my friends had his knees "done", and the one thing he said he would do differently was to do his therapy faithfully every day because it makes a huge difference. Lots of people are rooting for you!
Thanks Quirky! Unfortunately I developed blood clots in my lungs as a result of the surgery and I was in hospital for nine days. Now I can't qualify for Travel Medical Insurance. So we'll miss our TV fix this winter. Sigh. Oh well, adversity makes us stronger.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Thanks Quirky! Unfortunately I developed blood clots in my lungs as a result of the surgery and I was in hospital for nine days. Now I can't qualify for Travel Medical Insurance. So we'll miss our TV fix this winter. Sigh. Oh well, adversity makes us stronger.
Really sorry to read that. Hope you feel good soon.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

Unless your knees are totally worn out try drinking lemon juice 2 to 3 ozs. a day and see if some of your pain goes away. Most not all joint pain is inflamation and the lemon juice will help eliminate a lot of that . Give it time to work. Works great for back pain
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.