Travel conditions in storm states

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Default Travel conditions in storm states

We are in NY planning to drive back to TV early this week but are fearful of the devatating conditions caused by the storms in the Washington, Va, WVa, NC areas which have caused the massive power outages which could mean difficulty finding gas stations, etc. I am a AAA member but they have nothing online which provides any helpful info. TWC has a local road conditions link but they are not updated for this situation. Any suggestions on whom to call to find out if the major roads (I-81, 77,26, I-95) are ok and have services/power? I'll call the local AAA in the morning but not sure if they will have info to help. Just asking if anyone has a better idea.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Location: Brooklyn, NY Queens, NY Village of Summerhill, Village of Santiago

Check out The I-95 Exit Information Guide - Campground and RV Parks Hope it's helpful. It has links to real time traffic, road construction, weather, state-by-state for I-95 There's probably a site for each of the interstates.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:48 AM

Thanks you! Hadn't seen this one.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

had a friend just leave DC said lots of trees down but freeways are clear
Old 07-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

The DC Beltway and I-270 wer clear yesterday. From reports here in So. MD. Only bad around Bethesda. We were away over weekend in Emmitsburg and had no problems coming home. So far, no loss of power or INTERNET. So you should have no problems if you stick to Interstates.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 AM

The biggest problem you may have won't be with interstates and gas availability but with hotel rooms. We left TV about 8:15 Saturday morning to travel to Connecticut for July/ August.

Traffic was heavy in South Carolinas between Hilton Head and the I-26 junction so we decided we would remain on 95 until we got to I-64 in Virginia. We started looking for a hotel room about 9:30 in Charlottesville, VA and stopped looking for one about 3:30 in Hazleton, PA off I-81, We arrived at oiur daughter's in Connecticut about 6:30 am, safe but exhausted.

We did follow the stereotype of the aging Villager on Sunday: we took a couple of afternoon naps watching golf and went to bed at 9 pm.

My recommendation to you is to be sure to make a reservation wherever you normally stop. Although we've never needed a reservation before until this trip, we won't make the drive again without one.

Safe travels.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.