AT&T service

AT&T service

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 06-15-2019, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't understand why everyone doesn't use the Verizon network. It has always been independently rated as the best cell network for more than 20 years. And, you don't have to buy cell service directly from Verizon to use their network. I also don't understand why the other 3 network providers are satisfied to offer an inferior network year after year after year.
The simple reason Verizon has the best coverage is that they have more towers in more places.

Get a map
Old 06-15-2019, 09:25 AM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Default Get a map

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLID2470 View Post
I have read that AT&T is not very good in the Villages. I am planning a week lifestyle visit- with limited service will my phone still work using the Villages GPS app / Waze app etc? Plan on putting on the miles on the golf cart - seeing as much as I can. Doesn’t matter to me how good the service is in the rental - just don’t want to always be lost when out on the road.
For $5 you can get a map of The Villages. Some Realtors give out free ones, “old school”, but I still like a map as I can get a better feel for an area. We have AT&T and sometimes get a weak signal in TV but strong signal too. Depends on your location in TV. We get by... good luck on your Lifestyle visit.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't understand why everyone doesn't use the Verizon network. It has always been independently rated as the best cell network for more than 20 years. And, you don't have to buy cell service directly from Verizon to use their network. I also don't understand why the other 3 network providers are satisfied to offer an inferior network year after year after year.
I (and others) would find it helpful if you could

1) List the names of the "other 3 network providers"

2) List the names of the companies that that also sell Verizon cell service besides Verizon.

We used the Verizon network since cell service originally began (until last year.)
Even with the retired employee discount, it was just too expensive.

North of Rt. 44 all the way to New England, with the exception of between some mountains a few times, Consumer Cellular is working great for us at about 60% of the cost.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
I (and others) would find it helpful if you could

1) List the names of the "other 3 network providers"

2) List the names of the companies that that also sell Verizon cell service besides Verizon.

We used the Verizon network since cell service originally began (until last year.)
Even with the retired employee discount, it was just too expensive.

North of Rt. 44 all the way to New England, with the exception of between some mountains a few times, Consumer Cellular is working great for us at about 60% of the cost.
The big four network providers are Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. There are lots of companies that provide cell phone plans, but most, if not all of them use one of the 4 network providers to deliver service. I think the most popular service that uses the Verizon network is Straight Talk sold by Walmart. There is also Total Wireless. I use Xfinity Mobile and have been paying only 12 dollars per month because I limit my mobile data use to less than 1 GB per month. But, I do have unlimited talk and text, which uses no mobile data. You can also get an unlimited plan for about 45 dollars per month or pay 12 dollars per GB per month. However, Xfinity Mobile requires you to have internet service with Xfinity.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:24 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. I’ll pick up a map as a backup - part of the adventure is getting lost and finding your way back.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Veteran member

Had AT&T for 10 years. I switched to Cricket Wireless (4 phones/unlimited talk~text~data $100/mo total no contract), which is owned by AT&T and uses their towers. We live on the North side of TV and find service througout fairly good. One hint is, at least with an iPhone, go to “Settings” then “Phone”. Turn on “WFI calling. Most providers will allow connection to this feature. This way either at your home or a location that can be connected by WIFI if there is w week cellular signal it will use WIFI to make the connection. The phone will do this automatically.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

WIFI calling also works with Android phones.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Gold member

Verizon has a senior 55 plan which is costing us $85/mo plus tax for 2 unlimited lines which was about $2 less than xfinity using the same towers. Only difference is Xfinity only gives you around 8Mbps data and Verizon I get usually around 20Mbps. It's also easier to get newer phones from Verizon than Xfinity if you are into that as I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2019, 04:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Xfinity Mobile may be cheaper than Verizon if you only use one line. I think the unlimited service is $45 for Xfinity vs $60 for Verizon. But, I have found that my mobile data usage is way less than 1 GB per month, so I use Xfinity's "by the gig" plan, which is only $12 per GB per month. So, I get unlimited talk and text and only pay 12 dollars per month for cell phone service. Sometimes, if I want to surf the web, I will just connect to a wifi network and I don't need to use any mobile data. Some people don't realize that, when you talk or text, you are not using any mobile data, and that almost every public place has a free wifi network where you can surf the web using no mobile data.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-15-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

I had AT&T service on our Lifetime visit at the Brownwood area and my phone worked everywhere in TV when we were looking at houses for sale.

Tags
service, at&t, villages, app, good