AT&T service

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2019, 03:14 PM
Gold member

Had AT&T for 10 years. I switched to Cricket Wireless (4 phones/unlimited talk~text~data $100/mo total no contract), which is owned by AT&T and uses their towers. We live on the North side of TV and find service througout fairly good. One hint is, at least with an iPhone, go to “Settings” then “Phone”. Turn on “WFI calling. Most providers will allow connection to this feature. This way either at your home or a location that can be connected by WIFI if there is w week cellular signal it will use WIFI to make the connection. The phone will do this automatically.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,593 Times in 5,190 Posts

WIFI calling also works with Android phones.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Verizon has a senior 55 plan which is costing us $85/mo plus tax for 2 unlimited lines which was about $2 less than xfinity using the same towers. Only difference is Xfinity only gives you around 8Mbps data and Verizon I get usually around 20Mbps. It's also easier to get newer phones from Verizon than Xfinity if you are into that as I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,593 Times in 5,190 Posts

Xfinity Mobile may be cheaper than Verizon if you only use one line. I think the unlimited service is $45 for Xfinity vs $60 for Verizon. But, I have found that my mobile data usage is way less than 1 GB per month, so I use Xfinity's "by the gig" plan, which is only $12 per GB per month. So, I get unlimited talk and text and only pay 12 dollars per month for cell phone service. Sometimes, if I want to surf the web, I will just connect to a wifi network and I don't need to use any mobile data. Some people don't realize that, when you talk or text, you are not using any mobile data, and that almost every public place has a free wifi network where you can surf the web using no mobile data.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-15-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

I had AT&T service on our Lifetime visit at the Brownwood area and my phone worked everywhere in TV when we were looking at houses for sale.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Xfinity Mobile may be cheaper than Verizon if you only use one line. I think the unlimited service is $45 for Xfinity vs $60 for Verizon. But, I have found that my mobile data usage is way less than 1 GB per month, so I use Xfinity's "by the gig" plan, which is only $12 per GB per month. So, I get unlimited talk and text and only pay 12 dollars per month for cell phone service. Sometimes, if I want to surf the web, I will just connect to a wifi network and I don't need to use any mobile data. Some people don't realize that, when you talk or text, you are not using any mobile data, and that almost every public place has a free wifi network where you can surf the web using no mobile data.

Verizon Senior 55 is $45 per line unlimited same as Xfinity except VZW gives you another $5 off if you pay by debit card or ACH. We use about 10gig/mo for 2 lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLID2470 View Post
I have read that AT&T is not very good in the Villages. I am planning a week lifestyle visit- with limited service will my phone still work using the Villages GPS app / Waze app etc? Plan on putting on the miles on the golf cart - seeing as much as I can. Doesn’t matter to me how good the service is in the rental - just don’t want to always be lost when out on the road.
Looks like your post was from last February. Who did you finally go with as I am wondering as well what provider to choose
Old 07-11-2019, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

For the past 7 years I've had an AT&T Go Phone and it works great in TV. They are now called AT&T Prepaid Phone. I know they have smart phones, but I use a Flip phone.

Usually if I need to look anything up, pay a bill, purchase something, I have a desktop and a laptop computer at home. So when I'm out and about I only need a phone for emergencies or to call home, so I find a flip phone is perfect. I get 1000 minutes a year for $100, that's about a cheap as you can get. They also started rolling over a few years ago, so now I have about 2500 minutes accumulated, not a big talker on the phone.

Initially the phones were only $10 at Walmart or Walgreens, which meant when the battery died after about 3 years, it was cheaper to buy a new phone than a battery. This last time it quit charging the $10 phones were way higher, I think demand caused the price to go up. I shopped around and found a LG flip phone at the Summerfield Walmart for $26. They don't have them on display, just ask, they are behind the counter.

AT&T Prepaid - Affordable, Flexible, No Contract Phones & Plans
Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 PM

I have 1 bar with AT&T around Sea Breeze location. Called the company and they are constructing a nearby cell tower to be completed in August. Another 1 will go in the Brownwood area to be completed in October.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:44 PM

My husband is like John W. low flip phone usage. Try T-Mobile $10 prepaid card for 1 year. You can get them at Walmart. Enough minutes for him to call home if needed. Can always purchase another $10 card if you run out of minutes.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Some Info

A few years ago I worked to settle some AT&T issues on the South end of the Villages. I met with the VP of AT&T Florida and he showed me on his lap top the areas covered and those not covered in the Village and outskirts. I did learn that it cost approximately $1M to get a tower when considering getting Gov approvals, land, actual tower, etc. It is possible that if The Villages builds faster than AT&T can catch up that there will be a void in service for awhile. A suggestion is to go to an AT&T store and ask for a "booster" if you are having problems. In some cases in the past they significantly reduced the price for one or even gave one out. The other option is full payment for one and that is not fair? I am pretty sure AT&T is aware of the areas in the villages that does not have coverage or the coverage is poor! I believe that if they sold you on AT&T phones you have a right to the best service that is available , (e.g. boosters) at no charge.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:42 AM
Sage

When referring to a "booster", if you mean the ATT Microcell (a box that connects to your router and creates a small cell zone in your house and routes the calls through the internet), I believe those are no longer being provided.

Contemporary phones can use WiFi calling whereby your phone connects to your router (via WiFi) and your call is routed through the internet. I suspect the sunsetting of the Microcell boxes is due to the support of WiFi calling on recent cellphones, which makes the Microcell box unnecessary for many customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
A few years ago I worked to settle some AT&T issues on the South end of the Villages. I met with the VP of AT&T Florida and he showed me on his lap top the areas covered and those not covered in the Village and outskirts. I did learn that it cost approximately $1M to get a tower when considering getting Gov approvals, land, actual tower, etc. It is possible that if The Villages builds faster than AT&T can catch up that there will be a void in service for awhile. A suggestion is to go to an AT&T store and ask for a "booster" if you are having problems. In some cases in the past they significantly reduced the price for one or even gave one out. The other option is full payment for one and that is not fair? I am pretty sure AT&T is aware of the areas in the villages that does not have coverage or the coverage is poor! I believe that if they sold you on AT&T phones you have a right to the best service that is available , (e.g. boosters) at no charge.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:54 AM

We have ATT and have virtually have little or no coverage when we are in places in Pine Ridge, Pine Hills, Labelle, Osceola, and no service at all in Lake Deton Plaza. We have one bar at our house and have to use a booster which is very frustrating. We called and complained years ago when we lived in Sanibel and had to use a booster and nothing has seemed to change. When we travel there are many times we have no coverage and people that had Verizon had excellent service. I would never recommend ATT!
Old 07-12-2019, 08:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Microcell

It is correct what I called a "booster" was a rough term for a Microcell. There was a period where AT&T provided some for free or at a reduced price but that general offering has long gone and so each case would be based on its own merits and ability to sell the request to AT&T, As it was explained to me at the time is it takes about 18 months between the start of the process for a tower to it's installed and working?
Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 AM
Platinum member

In six years in The Villages, I've always has ATT and I've never had any issues. None. I'm not sure where the complaints come from, but there are adequate cell towers to take care of ATT. I did use a Microcell at my home when I first moved in, but I no longer need it. My iPhone 8 always connects and holds calls wherever I am.

Tags
service, at&t, villages, app, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.