Big Green Egg

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2019, 01:42 PM
Default Big Green Egg

We are considering purchasing one and wondering what people’s experiences have been. Specifically, are they hard to clean and has it held up well in FL weather. Also, what size do you recommend for 2 people. Thanks
Old 06-12-2019, 01:48 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I just sold my Extra Large Primo, same as the Green Egg but made in America. I enjoyed the times I used it, but you have to stay with it to ensure temperature control. So it takes up your day. But the results are amazing. I know someone selling a Green Egg in excellent condition with the table, if you should be interested.

I am looking at buying a Traeger which uses Pellets and has wireless capabilities so you can control temps from your phone.

If you are interested in a Green Egg in great shape, like new, let me know. You can private message me and I Will get you in touch with the person.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:26 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I agree with Jane above. I know that many folks like their Eggs, but I think they still have their shortcomings. You have to babysit them a lot.

I have a pellet grill. I know that Traeger is a well known brand, but after doing a LOT of research, I bought instead a CampChef Woodwind. They have many advantages over a Traeger. I too just use my iphone.....it alerts me when things are done. I even do overnight long 20 hour cooks safely.

I use mine all the time. I cook briskets, ribs, steaks, turkeys, "burnt ends", pulled pork, even meat loaf and pizza in it.

With the included searbox (which Treager does not have) I can reverse sear a steak in seconds. And all this is cheaper than a Green egg.

I buy my pellets at Rural King. The great thing about pellet grills is that you just set it and forget it. We even have a saying, "If you're lookin you're not cookin" .

Check out the video below. It's funny and informative.

camp chef woodwind video - - Video Search Results

Feel free to contact me with any questions....got to go now....cooking a nice steak...

Frank
Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Oh, the other nice thing is that with the searbox, (or the sidekick) I can be in the middle of a long 20 hour cook and still cook a quick hot dog or burger on the searbox for the grandkids.

Check out Camping Grills, Stoves, Smokers & All Things Outdoor Cooking | Camp Chef

They have wonderful customer service!

Frank
Old 06-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I just sold my Extra Large Primo, same as the Green Egg but made in America. I enjoyed the times I used it, but you have to stay with it to ensure temperature control. So it takes up your day. But the results are amazing. I know someone selling a Green Egg in excellent condition with the table, if you should be interested.

I am looking at buying a Traeger which uses Pellets and has wireless capabilities so you can control temps from your phone.

If you are interested in a Green Egg in great shape, like new, let me know. You can private message me and I Will get you in touch with the person.
Traeger is sold at ACE hardware, but I find them to be rather flimsy and cheaply made. I do agree a pellet stove is the way to go, plus the fact you can get different types (flavors) of pellets to suit your taste.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 06-12-2019, 08:43 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

BGEs are sold piece meal. The stand, the tools all extra. I would go with a kamodo Joe. Everything you need and an innovative hinge with counterweight and oven quality seal.

I have had gas, pellet smokers, electric smokers, charcoal. By far the ceramic grill is the most useful of any of them. All manner of grilling, smoking but also rotisserie, pizza oven and fire hot wok. I do not baby sit the temperature. I learned what vent settings give you what temp. Plenty of youtube videos on that.

I found the treager failed frequently. The ignition rod would burn out, the auger would jam. The treager simply does not get hot enough to sear a steak. All the pellet stove are Chinese made, particularly the treager. Ceramics are USA, Mexican, or Chinese depending on the brand.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:59 PM

I've Had a Treager up North for about 6 years, got it at our local Habitat Restore. If all you cook on it is chicken, it's worth the effort. But I would agree with Frank, if you want a pellet stove, their are our choices to consider.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Based on Frank's recommendation I got a Camp Chef Pellet Grill with sear box aa couple months ago and use it almost every day. BEST ribs in the world among other things. "Set it and forget it." The $4.99 deal at Rural King for 20lbs of pellets is a killer deal.

There is some guy on Facebook who is so obsessed he bought 40+ bags on that sale (hint: it wasn't me - I bought 4 bags). No place to store them.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-06-12_22-19-27.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	79855  
Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

My sear box gets up to 900 degrees, easily searing a steak. That's why they call it a Sear Box. And with the newer Woodwind SE, you can expose the firebox, getting live flame to the meat if you like, thus doing the same. Basically, you CAN sear with a Camp Chef.

I did take advantage of the $4.99 deal a bag of pellets at Rural King...I admit, that was me....haha.

It's great that we live in such a great country that we have these wonderful choices!

Frank
Old 06-13-2019, 06:34 AM
Sage

I can get my BGE over 1000 degrees, this high temp is the key to cooking a good steak-sear each side 90 seconds, remove from heat--lower heat to 500 degrees, remove when internal temp reaches 110 degrees, tent for 5-10 minutes--steak should be 2" thick with a lot of marbling such as a prime ribeye from Sam's

Best steak in the area--never eat steak in restaurants in TV
Old 06-13-2019, 08:14 AM
Platinum member

To directly address the OP's questions:

Ceramic grills hold up fine. The wood parts (handle, side table) will weather. There are non wood alternatives. Some brand ceramics have weather safe plastic handles and side tables.

Cleaning is not an issue with non BGE brand being slightly more difficult for ash removal. The other brands, most of them, have the ash tray removable through the bottom vent. If you had some grease in the interior you just get the grill to 1,000 degrees and burn it off.

The 13" size is all you need for two people, but I recommend a 18" because there are so many more accessories available on that size.

BGE offers several sizes with the grill diameter being just one variable. Basically, the depth of the grill doesn't matter for most applications.

Last edited by Toymeister; 06-13-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:26 AM
Platinum member

I will add this slightly off topic idea. If all you want is a small grill which is able to get flaming hot to sear and grill steaks and burgers, Lodge Sportsman is a small 85.00 cast iron grill that does this task well. You do have to accept the maintenance that cast iron requires, though
Old 06-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Thanks so much everyone! A lot to consider
Closed Thread

Tags
weather, held, people, recommend, size

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.