Taking up a new pastime here...

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2022, 11:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,656 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Why is it in football the fans shout at the top of their lungs either to encourage their team or make it difficult for the opposing team player to hear the play call. This is accepted etiquette. In the sport of golf the fans are expected to hold their breath until "premadonna" player strikes the ball then one can shout "in the hole". Who gets to make up these so called rules of etiquette ?
Great point.

Both golf and tennis have more than their share of pompous adherents, sometimes to the extent that one actually wonders which is more important; the game or the comportment of those playing/watching. Tennis majors are the most egregious: often the only sounds you hear are the sounds of the ball being struck, the grunting of the players and the PA guy admonishing the crowd to be quiet. All except (to a point) the U.S. Open. Noo Yawkers have a way of popping pompous balloons. Quite some time back the Bolshoi Ballet was in New York giving a performance of Swan Lake. One scene, as the "swans" were dancing onto the stage, some guy in the audience yelled "Pull!".

Golf? Yeah. Players SHOULD practice good etiquette (all except Tiger Woods--his profanity-laced tirades are legendary). The rules of conduct are posted at all the shacks. But on the executive courses, some of those self-appointed enforcers get a bit tiresome. Some time back my wife and I were playing at Saddlebrook. We were waiting for our tee time and saw a woman who had just come off the course staring at my wife. She then marched to the starter shack window and said something obviously about my wife--obviously because she pointed at her while talking. The attendant looked over at my wife and I, said something to the woman and shook his head. The woman turned abruptly and left. After she was gone my wife went over and asked what it was all about. Apparently the woman thought that my wife was dressed inappropriately. Turned out she wasn't.

Some things just aren't worth getting your undies in a bundle over.

Last edited by ThirdOfFive; 12-08-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:46 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,325 Times in 1,441 Posts

When I first moved here a starter told me that playing best ball will speed up play so I use two balls on every hole. It really hasn't help with the speed as I'm always in the weeds looking for two balls instead of one. I'm also not sure how that double par rule works when using two balls. I'm confused now.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,659 Times in 962 Posts

I think The Villages needs to post, in a conspicuous manner, the Rules of Behavior and Comportment at every starter shack. I think they should borrow the rules as posted at Willie Nelson's Cut 'n Putt Course, in Pedernales, Texas. I don't remember them all, but the two I do remember should apply:
1. NO MORE THAN 12 PEOPLE IN A FOURSOME
2. NO BIKINIS, TANK TOPS, SHORT-SHORTS, OR OTHER REVEALING CLOTHING IS TO BE WORN, EXCEPT BY WOMEN.

I don't know if we need any rules beyond those two, really.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:54 PM
Default Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
try to use a little common sense when doing so. All sports, card games, clubs have etiquette rules and most people know this and respect the rules, behavior and do's and don'ts. Golf is no different. Here some simple things to know:

1)do not pull ahead of the tee markers being used.
2)do not, unless asked, stand behind the person hitting(it's impolite unless requested to do so because the person teeing off can't see very well).
3)"mulligan"...not a real golf term and not in the Rules of Golf by the USGA. if you must hit a mulligan make sure no one is behind you waiting for you to tee off. also if you are picky about putting out know that when hitting that second tee shot you're hitting your 3rd shot.
4)stick with a score of double par(no more than 6 strokes/par 3 or 8 strokes/par 4).
5)park your cart even with the middle of the green. never leave your cart where when you finish you have to walk back towards the previous tee.
6)be ready to play...we play "ready" golf. even if you're closer to the hole you can hit your shot as long as it doesn't endanger others. giving everyone a turn to hit after the tee shot is not being nice....it's being ignorant of the etiquette .
7)playing music from your cart that others can hear is being inconsiderate.
8)those of you who disagree with me know not of what you speak. I'll bet you there is a hobby, sport, pastime you partake in that has rules and etiquette. try to understand we who play golf(not play "at" golf)would always respect your pastimes rules and etiquette ...please give us the same consideration.
I play championship three days a week and executive three days a week; subtracting medical and other appointments. I also belong to an outside golfing group.
I have to say that the out of the bubble golfing group cannot keep up the pace with our villages golfers. The players are younger and when the beverage cart arrives they take a 10-15 minute break. It would drive Village’s golfers up the wall.
We have a very good pace of play on the championship courses. Be thankful.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
try to use a little common sense when doing so. All sports, card games, clubs have etiquette rules and most people know this and respect the rules, behavior and do's and don'ts. Golf is no different. Here some simple things to know:

1)do not pull ahead of the tee markers being used.
2)do not, unless asked, stand behind the person hitting(it's impolite unless requested to do so because the person teeing off can't see very well).
3)"mulligan"...not a real golf term and not in the Rules of Golf by the USGA. if you must hit a mulligan make sure no one is behind you waiting for you to tee off. also if you are picky about putting out know that when hitting that second tee shot you're hitting your 3rd shot.
4)stick with a score of double par(no more than 6 strokes/par 3 or 8 strokes/par 4).
5)park your cart even with the middle of the green. never leave your cart where when you finish you have to walk back towards the previous tee.
6)be ready to play...we play "ready" golf. even if you're closer to the hole you can hit your shot as long as it doesn't endanger others. giving everyone a turn to hit after the tee shot is not being nice....it's being ignorant of the etiquette .
7)playing music from your cart that others can hear is being inconsiderate.
8)those of you who disagree with me know not of what you speak. I'll bet you there is a hobby, sport, pastime you partake in that has rules and etiquette. try to understand we who play golf(not play "at" golf)would always respect your pastimes rules and etiquette ...please give us the same consideration.
If these behaviors offend you so, it seems to me that YOU might consider a different sport yourself. Or find courses where everyone plays the same way as you do. At the courses in TV we have ambassadors and general guidelines, but our overall interest is to encourage people (senior people) who are new to the game too. Yes, there has to be some common guidelines, but they need to be practical given players with very different abilities.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I think The Villages needs to post, in a conspicuous manner, the Rules of Behavior and Comportment at every starter shack. I think they should borrow the rules as posted at Willie Nelson's Cut 'n Putt Course, in Pedernales, Texas. I don't remember them all, but the two I do remember should apply:
1. NO MORE THAN 12 PEOPLE IN A FOURSOME
2. NO BIKINIS, TANK TOPS, SHORT-SHORTS, OR OTHER REVEALING CLOTHING IS TO BE WORN, EXCEPT BY WOMEN.

I don't know if we need any rules beyond those two, really.
Here are the 12 "Local Rules and Etiquette" at Willie Nelson's Cut-N-Putt in Spicewood, Texas:

When another player is shooting, no player should talk, whistle, hum, clink coins, or pass gas.
Don’t play until the group in front is out of the way.
Excessive displays of affection are discouraged. Violators must replace divots and will be penalized five strokes.
Replace divots, smooth footprints in bunkers, brush backtrail with branches, park car under brush, and have the office tell your spouse you’re in a conference.
Let faster groups play through.
On the putting green, don’t step on another’s line.
“Freebies” are not recommended for players with short putts.
No more than twelve in your foursome.
Gambling is forbidden, of course, unless you’re stuck or you need a legal deduction for charitable or educational expenses.
All carts are not allowed within 20 ft. of traps or aprons surrounding greens.
No bikinis, mini-skirts, skimpy see-through, or sexually exploitative attire allowed. Except on women.
Please leave course in the condition in which you would like for it to be found.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
If these behaviors offend you so, it seems to me that YOU might consider a different sport yourself. Or find courses where everyone plays the same way as you do.
But that would require paying greens fees to play.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:52 PM

Now this is a funny post
Old 12-08-2022, 05:36 PM
TOTV Moderator

All negative posts directed at the OP, and their orphan posts, have been removed. Any further insulting posts will incur infractions and close the thread.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gullwing View Post
I play championship three days a week and executive three days a week; subtracting medical and other appointments. I also belong to an outside golfing group.
I have to say that the out of the bubble golfing group cannot keep up the pace with our villages golfers. The players are younger and when the beverage cart arrives they take a 10-15 minute break. It would drive Village’s golfers up the wall.
We have a very good pace of play on the championship courses. Be thankful.
Our local course in UK has a 'canteen service' at the 9th hole turnaround.
Most groups stop for a tea/coffee bacon roll or similar.
Some play through.
Most groups walk 18 holes, except the juniors. (they need the help of a golf cart!)
We still average about four and a half hour rounds.
Never understood The Village golfers obsession with speed golf!
Old 12-09-2022, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Is there anything wrong with skipping a hole and going around a group playing slow, especially if others are backing up behind you?
Old 12-09-2022, 08:28 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,031 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
Is there anything wrong with skipping a hole and going around a group playing slow, especially if others are backing up behind you?
Under normal conditions, no. In The Villages, that seems to be frowned upon by the Ambassadors.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimpson View Post
Executive courses and short par threes should take LESS time. 6 Minutes per hole is sufficient. Get to the ball, hit the ball a few times, pick up, go to next hole.
Actually the exec courses give you 9 minutes between start times, that's more than the championship. And your round wouldn't necessarily be that much longer, there would just be less golfers on the course at any one time(with a longer time between starts).

One more thing, there's more to golf than the steps you mentioned. A famous golfer once wrote, “Don't hurry. Don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
Old 12-10-2022, 03:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
Actually the exec courses give you 9 minutes between start times, that's more than the championship. And your round wouldn't necessarily be that much longer, there would just be less golfers on the course at any one time(with a longer time between starts).

One more thing, there's more to golf than the steps you mentioned. A famous golfer once wrote, “Don't hurry. Don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
Golf is a good walk ruined.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,674 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
A famous golfer once wrote, “Don't hurry. Don't worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
And while he was smelling the flowers, he won eleven Major Championships.
Closed Thread

Tags
rules, tee, etiquette, shot, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.