Is Talk of The Villages spying on me?

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran member

TO:
Madelaine Amee

Quote:
Thanks - did a search on Social Media blocker and found just tons of interesting stuff. Love to learn about these things.
Glad to be of service.

I replied to a series of posts about issues that people were having with the Classified portion of TOTV. You might also find it interesting,,,,
Classifieds problem work-around
Old 06-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Most of the ads come from Google. That's how they make $$$. Just ignore them like I do.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:37 PM

Actually TOTV and Google are to blame. A few years back, not sure how long, Google & others started offering Web site owners a means to get paid for allowing ads on their site. The the amount the site gets is dependent on the total hits on the site and the number of clicks on the ads. Not surprising, Amazon is involved as well. While TOTV has ad space that is controlled by TOTV and sold to specific people, they also have space that they have given to either Google, Amazon or others to control the content of the ad. The site owner has some control on the type of content, but that is all. The "Google" sells this ad space based on similar metrics. The site owner will get a small percentage of this. This is not unique to TOTV. Almost every site you visit will have space used for these ads.
There is more pay off for actual purchases, so the reason for individually focused ads is clear. They are usually related to your most recent searches. Not sure what you can do about them, other than just ignore them.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Ohhhhhh... that's why I keep seeing ads for extra large condoms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Were you searching "Fantasy Island"???
My brother tells everyone that I was once arrested for indecent exposure, but released for insufficient evidence.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnman View Post
Does Talk of The Villages monitor our Google searches? I ask this because I was using Google to research grill mats and then, an hour later, I accessed Talk of The Villages and to my surprise, there were several advertisements for.....guess what.....grill mats. Needless to say, I'm not amused. I don't think Talk of The Villages should be snooping around my research topics. What happened to our privacy? Have you had the same experience and if so, what steps did you take to prevent this from happening?
If your browser is Google Chrome, then download 'Fair AdBlocker' and you won't see anymore ads. It blocks popups, ads, tracking and malware. I haven't seen any ads on TOTV in a couple of years.

Chrome Web Store
Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
If your browser is Google Chrome, then download 'Fair AdBlocker' and you won't see anymore ads. It blocks popups, ads, tracking and malware. I haven't seen any ads on TOTV in a couple of years.

Chrome Web Store
Is it free? Also, there are at least 3 or 4 options when I click on the "store" so which one would one choose??? I have a Chrome Book and HATE the pop-ups and ads. On the other news link I keep getting videos....will it block those too??
Old 06-28-2017, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Is it free? Also, there are at least 3 or 4 options when I click on the "store" so which one would one choose??? I have a Chrome Book and HATE the pop-ups and ads. On the other news link I keep getting videos....will it block those too??
Yes, it's free. I have the first two with the red/white logos. You can see the first one has 5 stars from 55,000 users. I haven't seen an ad in so long I forgot they still have them.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Platinum member
Smile Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
Not quite correct. Double Click is not a program that infects your PC. It is a web site/ database that according to how the offending page is written goes to report your page usage. You can block requests/ information to Double Click by installing a Social Media blocker in your browser, (sorta like Ad Blocker), such as Ghostery.

Welcome to the world of targeted marketing.
I was trying to keep it simple. The fact is that as far back as 2015 Google’s DoubleClick ad service was being hijacked to distribute malware. When you ran Spybot Search and Destroy, the malware was identified by Spybot as Doubleclick malware and you could have Spybot remove it.

But, as I said............ it comes back, whatever it is called.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 PM
Gold member

Avast on line security..a free program...stops the tracking.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggnlars View Post
Actually TOTV and Google are to blame. A few years back, not sure how long, Google & others started offering Web site owners a means to get paid for allowing ads on their site. The the amount the site gets is dependent on the total hits on the site and the number of clicks on the ads. Not surprising, Amazon is involved as well. While TOTV has ad space that is controlled by TOTV and sold to specific people, they also have space that they have given to either Google, Amazon or others to control the content of the ad. The site owner has some control on the type of content, but that is all. The "Google" sells this ad space based on similar metrics. The site owner will get a small percentage of this. This is not unique to TOTV. Almost every site you visit will have space used for these ads.
There is more pay off for actual purchases, so the reason for individually focused ads is clear. They are usually related to your most recent searches. Not sure what you can do about them, other than just ignore them.
Best explanation so far. Not the funniest - just the most accurate.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Platinum member

I am being "followed" by a cute outfit I sent my Granddaughter
(1st Grand!)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:20 AM
Sage

Weird....I came into this thread and an audio of a jazz song came on. When I went to the next "page" it disappeared but this isn't the 1st time it's happened with TOTV.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

so much for x mass shopping secretly online
Old 06-29-2017, 10:01 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

Orwell was pretty much correct in his prediction. Big Brother, Big Google or Big Amazon----sort of amounts to the same.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:13 AM
Sage

Ordering Pizza in 2017

- Hello! Gordon's Pizza?
- No sir, it is Google Pizza.

- So, I have the wrong number?
- No sir, Google bought Gordon's Pizza.

- OK. Take my order please ...
- Well sir, you want the usual?

- The usual? How do you know me?
- According to your caller ID, the last 12 times, you ordered pizza with cheese, sausage, thick crust ...

- OK! OK! That's it.
- Sir, may I suggest to you this time ricotta cheese, arugula with sun-dried tomatoes?

- No, I hate vegetables!
- But your cholesterol is high!

- How do you know?
- Through the Lab subscriber's guide. We have the results of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

- Okay, but I want my regular pizza, I already take medicine.
- But sir, you have not taken your medicine regularly. Four months ago, you only purchased a box with 30 tablets at Drugsale Network.

- I bought more from another drugstore.
- It is not showing on your credit card.

- I paid in cash.
- But you did not withdraw that much cash according to your bank statement.

- I have other sources of cash.

- This is not showing on your last Income-Tax return, unless you got it from an undeclared source.

- WHAT THE HELL? Enough! I'm sick of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp. I'm going to an Island without Wi-Fi or internet. Where there are no cell phones or satellites to spy on me.
- I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport, as it has expired 5 weeks ago!
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, talk, grill, mats, research

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.