talk of the villages website too slow

Closed Thread
Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I believe this would be an issue with your device or browser, not TOTV web site.
Actually it is a bit of all of the above.

This site is saturated with ads and banners that load and change constantly. All of them are rich in "flash" content language. That adds up to a site that demands a LOT of your computer, your chosen ISP and internet provider.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:26 PM
Eternal Member

No problems here.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
Actually it is a bit of all of the above.

This site is saturated with ads and banners that load and change constantly. All of them are rich in "flash" content language. That adds up to a site that demands a LOT of your computer, your chosen ISP and internet provider.
Precisely. I access many other forums daily with users from around the world. I have never seen this much flash content or junk advertising, and the stupid videos keep crashing. TOTV is a very small business, and I guess that the owners have to sell lots of advertising to make a go at it.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:44 PM
blueskys4me

.Thanks for everyone's input. There are so many variables involved as you all stated, device CPU speed, modem speed, server speed, software of your device, and how many folks are using the Internet at that time. From some of the input, it appears I'm not the only one to notice this. I did try a different browser (Dolphin) and the speed is acceptable so who knows, maybe something else changed too but regardless of what happened out there in the world of the Internet, it doesn't appear to be a problem for this user. Hope the others who were seeing slow response times can get it resolved.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Here's a screen and browser shot I just took a few minutes ago. As you can see, I have no ads anywhere on my view. What you see here is all that I see on my HP 17" laptop. Also, I can never remember a pop-up from TOTV or just about any other site unless I want it. I've been using Firefox since about 2005. I don't even have to click on a link or page. I use a Firefox add-on called Cool Preview. You just roll your mouse over a link and a small blue dot will appear, put the cursor over the dot and the link will open in a smaller window and will disappear when you move the cursor. That allows you to see and close a link in just a couple of seconds.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-28-2015, 05:59 PM
Gold member

I had posted a solution for Internet Explorer users, but it was taken down <"poof - gone."> I was just tryin' to help. No explanation was offered as to why it was taken down.

Xavier
Old 01-28-2015, 06:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I had posted a solution for Internet Explorer users, but it was taken down <"poof - gone."> I was just tryin' to help. No explanation was offered as to why it was taken down.

Xavier
Might be because your "fix" wipes out the ads. Without advertising, this forum goes away. Forums of this type are quite expensive to run and maintain.

I use Chrome on my laptop and do not have a problem with extremely slow speeds to the point that I would even consider it irritating. It does not load as fast as the days when the ads were less sophisticated. But, that is what it is. Many sites are this way.

Those trying to use Apple stuff, you are on your own, although I understand Admin does have developers trying to repair the inadequacies of Apple's latest operating system.

Web design used to be fun. These days, with the emergence of so many browsers (many of which are functionally inferior) it is a pain to keep up with all of the tweaking and twerking.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Might be because your "fix" wipes out the ads. Without advertising, this forum goes away. Forums of this type are quite expensive to run and maintain.

I use Chrome on my laptop and do not have a problem with extremely slow speeds to the point that I would even consider it irritating. It does not load as fast as the days when the ads were less sophisticated. But, that is what it is. Many sites are this way.

Those trying to use Apple stuff, you are on your own, although I understand Admin does have developers trying to repair the inadequacies of Apple's latest operating system.

Web design used to be fun. These days, with the emergence of so many browsers (many of which are functionally inferior) it is a pain to keep up with all of the tweaking and twerking.
Interestingly enough, Apples "inferior" OS only has problems with the TOTV website....
Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I believe this would be an issue with your device or browser, not TOTV web site.
I agree

Sterling, IL; Hunter's Creek, Orlando, FL; The Villages
Old 01-28-2015, 07:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Interestingly enough, Apples "inferior" OS only has problems with the TOTV website....
More interesting is that other OSs (Chrome, FireFox etc) have NO problem with TOTV.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 01-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Interesting also that over 100,000 forum sites worldwide are all struggling to make the Apple operating system work as well as it did prior to the upgrade.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:53 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Here's a screen and browser shot I just took a few minutes ago. As you can see, I have no ads anywhere on my view. What you see here is all that I see on my HP 17" laptop. Also, I can never remember a pop-up from TOTV or just about any other site unless I want it. I've been using Firefox since about 2005. I don't even have to click on a link or page. I use a Firefox add-on called Cool Preview. You just roll your mouse over a link and a small blue dot will appear, put the cursor over the dot and the link will open in a smaller window and will disappear when you move the cursor. That allows you to see and close a link in just a couple of seconds.

The Villages Florida
Not on that screen, John. It is when I open one of the threads.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.