Live Oak help needed

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2013, 02:25 PM
Default Live Oak help needed

HELP!!!! We are building a new house in the Village of Gilchrist. The house is on the golf course and we overlook a beautiful but deadly Live Oak tree. The tree is actually on the golf course, but sheds its moss and leaves all over our lanai. The "stuff" gets caught in the screens and the moss and leaves are all over the roof of both the house and lanai. The pool maintenance man said that the "stuff" (I am using "stuff" instead of a more profane word) gets thru the birdcage and clogs the filter. He had to change the filter after ONE week. Any advice/consolation or help would be greatly appreciated
Gail
Old 03-29-2013, 04:18 PM
Platinum member

Talk to a pool contractor or bird cage contractor. There is a cover for bird cages that is Villages approved.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
Talk to a pool contractor or bird cage contractor. There is a cover for bird cages that is Villages approved.
I think that the "stuff" only happens about now. But I could be wrong and frequently am.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Sage

U can go out at 3AM and cut it down?

Seriously, you knew it was there when you picked the lot, correct.

What about your neighbors they must get it too.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:36 PM
Veteran member

You might be able to use a blower once a week to blow the stuff off from inside.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
U can go out at 3AM and cut it down?

Seriously, you knew it was there when you picked the lot, correct.

What about your neighbors they must get it too.
Actually, we've never lived near live oaks before. Our realtor did not point out the downside. We were just awed by the view
Old 03-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Sage

Old 03-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmcc View Post
Actually, we've never lived near live oaks before. Our realtor did not point out the downside. We were just awed by the view
We have a water oak on the cul-de-sac side and a live oak on the golf course side. Like you, we were hypnotized by the beauty of the trees and dreamed of the shade they would provide with cool breezes blowing through.

Boy, we were sadly mistaken. We've been fighting the trees for nearly four years now. I'd gladly give up the shade along with the continuous dropping leaves, the acorns, the feathery crap falling now, the whirly gig things that will come later, the 42 squirrels, the roots that mess up the driveway and irrigation system (which requires annual repairs), the pollen, the Spanish moss, the falling branches...the leaf falling never ends. It does slow down for about three months.

Other than that I love those trees. Even though I have about 400 new oaks starting under my oaks now from the acorns, they are protected by law and it takes an act of Congress to cut one down.

I've heard copper nails, water it with lots of salt and other remedies. Just haven't tried any of those yet. LOL Good luck.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Sage
Default Live Oaks

We have a huge old live oak in our side yard. I think it is magnificent. Yes it can be very messy, but I gladly clean up after it . It is a glorious, massive tree and an eagle has hunted out of it for years. Hawks visit it and herons roost in it. It is a treasure and I will be a steward for this incredible tree for as long as I am able.
My cage is mesh so very little tree debris gets in the pool.
They say of the live oaks " A hundred years to grow, a hundred years to live, and a hundred years to die." Like me, this tree is a senior.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhass View Post
We have a huge old live oak in our side yard. I think it is magnificent. Yes it can be very messy, but I gladly clean up after it . It is a glorious, massive tree and an eagle has hunted out of it for years. Hawks visit it and herons roost in it. It is a treasure and I will be a steward for this incredible tree for as long as I am able.
They say of the live oaks " A hundred years to grow, a hundred years to live, and a hundred years to die." Like me, this tree is a senior.
So what you are saying is all the mess blows over on your neighbor's property. ;~) jk If you ever decide you have time to take on another project, I'll give you the address of my two oaks. Or I could just ship some squirrels over to keep your eagle and hawks company.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I also think that they are magnificent, but how do you get the crap off of your roof and out of your gutters?
Old 03-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

Don't live in TV just yet (but just a matter of months) but I do live in a forest. We have a blower and blow off the roofs frequently and have mesh covers over the gutters which allow water to get in but leaves and other debris do not. It is work...I won't kid you.
You could try discussing it with your old tree (have you named it yet?) and see if she or he could come up with any other ideas......just kidding!

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Yea for you samhass. Maybe people who do not like messy trees and plants should build their home in a Walmart parking lot where things are nice and neat.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
she is correct....you can see her tree off in the distance driving down 466. magnificent is a good description of it!!!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
When I think of majestic, I think of Sams Tree. It can be seen from the porch of the Lighthouse restaurant if you look waaaay across Lake Sumter and squint a little.

It shades her gorgeous home with one of the most beautiful views in all of the villages and with my own eyes I have seen that eagles nest.

I guess that it is all how you look at it. I spend a good share of my days de-hairing the furniture and floors from cat hair. I guess a big oak tree can be a blessing or a curse, but they sure are eye candy.

Many people in Bridgeport at Lake Miona have debris on their roofs from oaks. I wish someone who lives there would tell us how they handle it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.