TV Demographics

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Default TV Demographics

I was reading somewhere that talked about the demographics of TV. One statistic i read was in regard to the Average Income of all residents. It stated that the Average Income was ~$93,000 / Yr.

Is that correct? If that is the case, I am looking at the wrong place to retire. We are by no means paupers with a retirement income ~%60,000/ Yr. We will be down for PV in a few weeks but maybe I should be looking at other options.

Can someone please comment on this statistic.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrdr View Post
I was reading somewhere that talked about the demographics of TV. One statistic i read was in regard to the Average Income of all residents. It stated that the Average Income was ~$93,000 / Yr.

Is that correct? If that is the case, I am looking at the wrong place to retire. We are by no means paupers with a retirement income ~%60,000/ Yr. We will be down for PV in a few weeks but maybe I should be looking at other options.

I think that sounds pretty high. An average can be misleading...if you have 100 people at $60,000 and one or two with 15 million income, an average is not an accurate picture. A median income figure would be closer to the truth ie: where 50% is above and 50% is below. ANYWAY...I think you can live perfectly well on $60,000 a year provided you don't have a huge mortgage.

I find food costs are very high here, but utilities are not that bad and Direct TV is about the same. There is so much to do here, your entertainment costs can be almost zero.

Come on down and take a look...
Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrdr View Post

schrdr, do a Search on this topic and you'll get some more/good information. It's been discussed on threads in the past. I've seen.the $93,000 figure and it seems VERY high to me. It would be interesting to know where it came from.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Sage

Agree with LadyDoc. We've had this discussion before if you use the search button above.

I find costs to be about average on food/gas/utilities compared to up north. But you won't need much heat during the winter and you won't use as much gas for your car/cart. And as mentioned lots to do that is little to no cost beyond your $135 a month amenity fee.

I know people in TV that have millions in the bank and some that barely have much more than SS income. You might even have them on the same street. TV is the great equalizer.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum member

I've also heard about that $93,000 figure, but I have no idea where it came from, and I also seriously doubt it!

There are a good many folks here who live reasonably "comfortably" on their Social Security alone. There are also many who live on more "comfortable" retirement incomes combining Social Security with some other pension income (personal 401k, military retirement, corporate retirement, etc.).

I personally manage very comfortably with Social Security, military retirement and the income from my late wife's trusts. More than many, I guess, but considerably less than the $93,000 figure.

Surely, you do need to do some basic math to see whether you can retire here - or anywhere. But, know that The Villages should match 99.9% of the items on your "wish list."

Welcome to TOTV and to TV; this is where it's all happenin'!

SWR
Old 10-05-2011, 06:01 PM

Each year the developer urges each homeowner to take part in an on-line survey. This survey asks all types of questions about shopping patterns, miles driven by golfcart, what stores you wish were here, etc. One section is devoted to household income of the property owner. My guess is that the $93,000 income is derived from these findings. But it is important to remember that many property owners don't live here full time and in fact are not retired. I owned a home in TV for five years before I retired. When I answered the questions I gave my income but it was my working income. Now I'm retired and my income is not what it once was.

But the bottom line is that yes indeed, one can live here for much lower income than $93,000 per year.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Sage

My mother lived in TV for years in a paid house with paid medical (UAW & Medicare) on $15K a year and saved $5K a year.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

I think I read on a previous thread in this topic that possibly this figure is inflated because of including snow birds or others who, though they are owners and are thus included in the averaging, are only here part of the time, and who still have full time or substantial incomes from their jobs or businesses elsewhere; thus it may not reflect the average income of those who are fully retired. I don't know if this is for sure correct, but it helps the number make more sense; does anyone else know about this?

I feel quite sure that many people we know here have less income than that; and still live very well.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.