Tankless Water Heater Issue

Closed Thread
Old 12-06-2021, 09:36 AM
Default Tankless Water Heater Issue

Good morning everyone! We are new owners here in The Villages, its been just over 4 weeks in our new home and 3 of the 4 weekends we've had to spend without hot water. The first weekend, just no hot water and no error messages to tell us anything. Mike Scott Plumbing came out and said everything was fine. The second weekend, we had no hot water and I noticed when the Water Heater (WH) was asked to make hot water we were getting an error code of 12. Google is your friend and found that it wasn't getting enough gas to sustain the ignitor. Since it wasn't an emergency, I waited until the warranty department opened on Monday and opened a ticket. After much pestering we were able to get someone out to the house by 8pm and replaced the regulator and all was well with the world for two weeks. This weekend, again no hot water and this time we have a code 11 which says the ignitor is bad. This time I called the emergency line and we got a call back from Mike Scott Plumbing saying they'd be out to the house. We actually just missed them and were able to reschedule for later than afternoon when they replace the ignitor. We were fat dumb and happy until we tried to do a load of dishes and clean the kitchen. Code 11 again.... Placed another emergency call to Mike Scott Plumbing, but this time I get no response. Sunday came and miraculously we have hot water without issue, but still have not heard back from Mike Scott Plumbing. Even if they don't come out, a call would have been the least of what I expected.

My issue right now is I don't trust the HW, would I be out of line in asking for a replacement or do I need to wait for another failure....
Old 12-06-2021, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

IMHO, I agree that a call to home warranty with a request for a new unit does not sound out of line with all of the problems you have had, make sure they understand the number of failures and the time frame.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

I don't think you would be out of line, but I don't think replacing the entire unit will solve the problem. It sounds like the issue is with either faulty ignitors or with the gas line. I would continue to deal with the warranty department and let them decide what to do.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaVader View Post
Good morning everyone! We are new owners here in The Villages, its been just over 4 weeks in our new home and 3 of the 4 weekends we've had to spend without hot water. The first weekend, just no hot water and no error messages to tell us anything. Mike Scott Plumbing came out and said everything was fine. The second weekend, we had no hot water and I noticed when the Water Heater (WH) was asked to make hot water we were getting an error code of 12. Google is your friend and found that it wasn't getting enough gas to sustain the ignitor. Since it wasn't an emergency, I waited until the warranty department opened on Monday and opened a ticket. After much pestering we were able to get someone out to the house by 8pm and replaced the regulator and all was well with the world for two weeks. This weekend, again no hot water and this time we have a code 11 which says the ignitor is bad. This time I called the emergency line and we got a call back from Mike Scott Plumbing saying they'd be out to the house. We actually just missed them and were able to reschedule for later than afternoon when they replace the ignitor. We were fat dumb and happy until we tried to do a load of dishes and clean the kitchen. Code 11 again.... Placed another emergency call to Mike Scott Plumbing, but this time I get no response. Sunday came and miraculously we have hot water without issue, but still have not heard back from Mike Scott Plumbing. Even if they don't come out, a call would have been the least of what I expected.

My issue right now is I don't trust the HW, would I be out of line in asking for a replacement or do I need to wait for another failure....
That’s a tough predicament but I think I’d wait for another failure. I would complain though to or about MS plumbing not getting back in touch. We’ve had varying opinions about MS plumbing in our new neighborhood. I’ve had good response but some neighbors were less than impressed with their service or results.
Old 12-06-2021, 09:38 PM

Evening, we're new to The Villages also (Citrus Grove) and experienced the same issues you're going through. We called the warranty number and entered a warranty claim. Mike Scott Plumbing came to the house and replaced the regulator in the gas line and all of the issues went away. Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, hot, plumbing, scott, mike

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.