Sage

By the way...

Thanks, de.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
“Because we are in a free country we can make sure the people elected reflect what most people want and not just the few that benefit from such decisions”. I admire your idealism (and understand your point) but after an election is over the person elected doesn’t always vote the wishes of his/her constituents. Just saying.
I don't see how this is different than any other place in the country. Elected officials make the decisions. If you want to be heard, you go to meetings. They are going to go around asking people if they should authorize the building of some new roads. Come on now.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
I read somewhere a while back that after the population of TV had grown to the point that the people living in TV outnumbered the rest of the population within the county, the representation rules were changed such that commissioners were elected 'at large' rather than by voters within districts they were to represent. Thus the TV vote now effectively controls the whole of Sumter County. The word on the street was this change was developer driven. If the councilors are developer controlled (a speculation, not an allegation), then, Voila, they can and no doubt will raise taxes on existing developed properties to widen old roads and build new roads and other infrastructure to support future development.

I do find it to be noteworthy that the huge tax increase arrived in the wake of the acquisition of huge amounts of land for development followed by developmental approval. Of course every time a house is built more taxes are collected by the county. This is probably why tax rates have historically remained static or even slightly diminished over the last decade or so. Now with enough raw land to double the size of TV under developer ownership or control, widening existing roads, building new roads and adding infrastructure to extend development into and over the raw land, money is required. The money needs to come from somewhere. So guess who will be paying for all this?

Existing taxpayers all over Sumter County!
Very good post manaboutown, deserving of a direct thanks rather then clicking a thanks icon!
Old 09-28-2019, 07:14 PM
Veteran member

We are not asking for charity. We are asking that our tax dollars that we pay are spent on our roads in Sumter County. How would you feel if your tax dollars were spent on other areas in Sumter County and your roads had potholes? Should the tax dollars not be spent on all of Sumter County.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
We are not asking for charity. We are asking that our tax dollars that we pay are spent on our roads in Sumter County. How would you feel if your tax dollars were spent on other areas in Sumter County and your roads had potholes? Should the tax dollars not be spent on all of Sumter County.
I agree. I don't live in Sumter County, I'm up in the Lady Lake area. but regardless, my county tax dollars should be allocated to the entire county, not just my own little segment of the county. If a neighborhood on the other side of the county has roads in bad condition, and mine is in great shape, I expect some of my tax dollars to bring those other roads up to standards. What's good for the OTHER neighborhood, is good for the entire county's standard of living.

We are only as good as the least among us. It's in our best interest to ensure that the least among us - is as good as we can afford for them to be.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorFan View Post
Misread your previous post. Yes I agree that the county taxes should be spent on roads in the county where it is needed.
Old 09-28-2019, 09:05 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Misread your previous post. Yes I agree that the county taxes should be spent on roads in the county where it is needed.
Good luck on that!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 09-29-2019, 07:31 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

There will be lots of raises for county employees.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Gold member

In simple terms, our taxes have been hiked 25% by the County Commissioners to pay for infrastructure necessitated by the Developer's massive expansion of The Villages. The Commissioners have done this to avoid hiking The Developer's impact fee, which is only $901 per house, compared to $2,600 per house for a builder outside The Villages.

Impact fees are, according to Sumter County's own website, supposed to pay for such infrastructure.

The question becomes, Why did the Commissioners do what they did?
Old 10-20-2019, 07:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
GG please don't misquote me! I never said "dirty". That was your word..... and why would you be thinking that? I said "Commissioners with questionable loyalty". There is a BIG difference.

While we are at it could you please answer my question? What happened? You were sure the County Property Taxes would not go up anywhere near 25%. Mine went up 28% because of the millage increase and an increase in assessed value also.

Why did you pick this thread to ask about my post in the other thread? The post were I stated my concern for the people who unlike us can not afford this increase.

Try it...... just say "I was wrong" I know you can do it. You may have to take off your rose colored glasses..... but you can do it!

Remember - it's a done deal and nobody will be talking about it in 2 days. For that matter it was a done deal when it was proposed by the "Commissioners with questionable loyalty"
You were going to have an increase of assessed value regardless of the tax increase. Your tax rate is increasing 25%.

Tags
mornings, daily, sun, tax, increase

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.