Tax increase

Closed Thread
Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
I dont live there anymore left in 2017 but was wondering how folks feel about the 25% property tax in Sumter county. I was amazed how much it was.Will Sumter never have enough money to run the county.
Can you say TROLL ????
Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Veteran member

Some people never want to admit there is a problem. And comparisons to what we paid in NY or some other state are comparing apples to oranges. It would be logical to compare what we are paying in the Villages compared to similiar areas of Florida. Many people are ticked off because of the REASON for the tax increase. That is - we are paying for infrastructure for future residents that should rightly be paid by them or by the Developer. Our taxes went up about $300. Obviously its not earth shattering, but the Reason taxes went up is the reason residents are concerned. The developer is just taking advantage to increase their profit margin. Contrary to what some of the TOTV posters say that are clearly big supporters of the developer, there are many in the Villages that don't get on TOTV that are furious at the way things are going. They just shake their heads at the increase in golf fees, huge fee for priority seating to watch a christmas tree lighting, the 25%increase in taxes, etc.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	7FEE2681-6B57-4783-A869-C062CA7E47E9.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	82403  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:20 AM

It’s been three years maybe you should get over the anger why you left in the first place.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:21 AM
Location: Springfield Oh Phoenix Az Melbourne Fl Lexington Ky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
How can you check? Is there a "Talk of Scottsdale" site? Most communities don't have a Talk of ________, where you learn important or not so important things.
Like the Colonel says "He's just mashin your taters"
Old 01-02-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I'm with Mom on this one. My home in NY in 2015 was assessed at $275,000 and my tax bill was over $18K. Here, in 2019, home assessed at $391K and tax bill is $4,700 AFTER a $544 increase. Not to mention a yearly energy bill that was $2,475 here and $6,875 in NY, and the 6-7% NYS income tax. So I'm $40K+ ahead of the game just on those 3 items,
Sumter County can have their tax increase as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with you based on what we were paying for property tax in Chicago.
And for those that say we shouldn’t compare to what we paid “Up North”, ponder this:
The current property tax millage rate of 6.7 in Sumter County (including the recent increase) is 67% of the millage rate Sumter County residents were paying 20 years ago! Yes, the millage rate was 10.0 in the years 1999 and 2000.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you want to know what's happening somewhere else, there are Facebook groups. I'm currently in two St. Petersburg groups (where I grew up) a Pensacola group (lived there in 70's and 80's) and three Villages groups (live here now). It's interesting what comes up over there versus what is talked about here.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
Some people never want to admit there is a problem. And comparisons to what we paid in NY or some other state are comparing apples to oranges. It would be logical to compare what we are paying in the Villages compared to similiar areas of Florida. Many people are ticked off because of the REASON for the tax increase. That is - we are paying for infrastructure for future residents that should rightly be paid by them or by the Developer. Our taxes went up about $300. Obviously its not earth shattering, but the Reason taxes went up is the reason residents are concerned. The developer is just taking advantage to increase their profit margin. Contrary to what some of the TOTV posters say that are clearly big supporters of the developer, there are many in the Villages that don't get on TOTV that are furious at the way things are going. They just shake their heads at the increase in golf fees, huge fee for priority seating to watch a christmas tree lighting, the 25%increase in taxes, etc.
Well, I'm neither a big supporter nor a big detractor of "the developer", but last I checked, "the developer" did not set county tax rates, nor does "the developer" profit from them. The roads are county owned and paid for out of taxes, the other infrastructure is paid by your bond. In other parts of the country, your infrastructure is paid in the price of the home and not a separate bond. As far as current homeowners paying for infrastructure (and by this I assume you mean roads) for future Villagers, who paid for the roads where YOU live???? Your argument is akin to "I don't have any kids, so why should I pay school taxes?"
Old 01-02-2020, 01:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
Too many times, unhappy people want to label those that are happy in some way that seems to make being happy wrong (Kool-aide drinkers). It is entirely possible to be a happy resident of The Villages without being a "supporter of The Developer".

Happy people are satified with their current situation and don't have need to make a change. Unhappy people are dis-satisfied with their current situation and refuse to make a change.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Well, I'm neither a big supporter nor a big detractor of "the developer", but last I checked, "the developer" did not set county tax rates, nor does "the developer" profit from them. The roads are county owned and paid for out of taxes, the other infrastructure is paid by your bond. In other parts of the country, your infrastructure is paid in the price of the home and not a separate bond. As far as current homeowners paying for infrastructure (and by this I assume you mean roads) for future Villagers, who paid for the roads where YOU live???? Your argument is akin to "I don't have any kids, so why should I pay school taxes?"
We could not agree more. This is not to say that there may have been better ways than (speaking for myself) ten years of virtually level property taxes followed by—and we keep hearing "25%" which we question, so we go check—and calculate that our property taxes have increased 8%. That's EIGHT PERCENT! For us, about $200.

A comparison between living expenses here versus wherever 'up north' one is from is not specious from each individual's point of view. Up north our property taxes did go up $200 or more—each year—not once in 11 years! Our property taxes here are one-fourth of what they were up north on a home of approximately the same size. Then add utility expenses to the mix, starting from trash pickup to heating fuel to electricity and so forth) plus such obvious things as state income tax (none in Florida). Each of us can do our own respective history and economics—and then do the arithmetic!

We need to question who is seeking to covertly—and likely anonymously—incite Villagers? OR Someone is playing Chicken Little....

Last edited by Quixote; 01-02-2020 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Completed an incomplete sentence.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,351 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
How can you check? Is there a "Talk of Scottsdale" site? Most communities don't have a Talk of ________, where you learn important or not so important things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
He’s pulling your chain !!!
So is the OP.
This subject was beat to death on three other threads.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
I dont live there anymore left in 2017 but was wondering how folks feel about the 25% property tax in Sumter county. I was amazed how much it was.Will Sumter never have enough money to run the county.
Mine went up nearly $900.00 between property tax and school tax.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Don't be a puppet to threads.

Old 01-02-2020, 02:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
We could not agree more. This is not to say that there may have been better ways than (speaking for myself) ten years of virtually level property taxes followed by—and we keep hearing "25%" which we question, so we go check—and calculate that our property taxes have increased 8%. That's EIGHT PERCENT! For us, about $200.

A comparison between living expenses here versus wherever 'up north' one is from is not specious from each individual's point of view. Up north our property taxes did go up $200 or more—each year—not once in 11 years! Our property taxes here are one-fourth of what they were up north on a home of approximately the same size. Then add utility expenses to the mix, starting from trash pickup to heating fuel to electricity and so forth) plus such obvious things as state income tax (none in Florida). Each of us can do our own respective history and economics—and then do the arithmetic!

We need to question who is seeking to covertly—and likely anonymously—incite Villagers? OR Someone is playing Chicken Little....
Sort of depends how you're calculating it

My COUNTY tax went from $1925.88 to $2469.96, an increase of 28.26%
My AD VALOREM tax went from $4157.18 to $4706.81, an increase of 13.22%
My TOTAL BILL, which includes bond, went from $6967.10 to $7515.41, an increase of 7.87%

Need to compare apples with apples. My county tax increased by $544.28, everything else about the same
Old 01-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

My property tax increased 28% from last year. I don’t consider the bond as part of property tax. That is a separate item as it can be paid off.

Last edited by Velvet; 01-02-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, sumter, county, property, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.