Tax increase

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 AM
jarodrig jarodrig is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 303
Thanks: 6
Thanked 179 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
I dont live there anymore left in 2017 but was wondering how folks feel about the 25% property tax in Sumter county. I was amazed how much it was.Will Sumter never have enough money to run the county.
Can you say TROLL ????
  #17  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Love2Swim Love2Swim is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 540
Thanks: 641
Thanked 420 Times in 153 Posts
Default

Some people never want to admit there is a problem. And comparisons to what we paid in NY or some other state are comparing apples to oranges. It would be logical to compare what we are paying in the Villages compared to similiar areas of Florida. Many people are ticked off because of the REASON for the tax increase. That is - we are paying for infrastructure for future residents that should rightly be paid by them or by the Developer. Our taxes went up about $300. Obviously its not earth shattering, but the Reason taxes went up is the reason residents are concerned. The developer is just taking advantage to increase their profit margin. Contrary to what some of the TOTV posters say that are clearly big supporters of the developer, there are many in the Villages that don't get on TOTV that are furious at the way things are going. They just shake their heads at the increase in golf fees, huge fee for priority seating to watch a christmas tree lighting, the 25%increase in taxes, etc.
  #18  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Robbie0723 Robbie0723 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 982
Thanks: 643
Thanked 697 Times in 313 Posts
Default

...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	7FEE2681-6B57-4783-A869-C062CA7E47E9.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	82403  
  #19  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Waltdisney4life Waltdisney4life is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 88
Thanks: 56
Thanked 88 Times in 49 Posts
Default

It’s been three years maybe you should get over the anger why you left in the first place.
  #20  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:21 AM
Dmbluk Dmbluk is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Springfield Oh Phoenix Az Melbourne Fl Lexington Ky
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
How can you check? Is there a "Talk of Scottsdale" site? Most communities don't have a Talk of ________, where you learn important or not so important things.
Like the Colonel says "He's just mashin your taters"
  #21  
Old 01-02-2020, 09:57 AM
Aw Man Aw Man is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 227
Thanks: 1,621
Thanked 86 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I'm with Mom on this one. My home in NY in 2015 was assessed at $275,000 and my tax bill was over $18K. Here, in 2019, home assessed at $391K and tax bill is $4,700 AFTER a $544 increase. Not to mention a yearly energy bill that was $2,475 here and $6,875 in NY, and the 6-7% NYS income tax. So I'm $40K+ ahead of the game just on those 3 items,
Sumter County can have their tax increase as far as I'm concerned.
I agree with you based on what we were paying for property tax in Chicago.
And for those that say we shouldn’t compare to what we paid “Up North”, ponder this:
The current property tax millage rate of 6.7 in Sumter County (including the recent increase) is 67% of the millage rate Sumter County residents were paying 20 years ago! Yes, the millage rate was 10.0 in the years 1999 and 2000.
  #22  
Old 01-02-2020, 10:08 AM
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
Thanks: 2,112
Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,134 Posts
Default

If you want to know what's happening somewhere else, there are Facebook groups. I'm currently in two St. Petersburg groups (where I grew up) a Pensacola group (lived there in 70's and 80's) and three Villages groups (live here now). It's interesting what comes up over there versus what is talked about here.
  #23  
Old 01-02-2020, 12:32 PM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 7,225
Thanks: 187
Thanked 4,439 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
Some people never want to admit there is a problem. And comparisons to what we paid in NY or some other state are comparing apples to oranges. It would be logical to compare what we are paying in the Villages compared to similiar areas of Florida. Many people are ticked off because of the REASON for the tax increase. That is - we are paying for infrastructure for future residents that should rightly be paid by them or by the Developer. Our taxes went up about $300. Obviously its not earth shattering, but the Reason taxes went up is the reason residents are concerned. The developer is just taking advantage to increase their profit margin. Contrary to what some of the TOTV posters say that are clearly big supporters of the developer, there are many in the Villages that don't get on TOTV that are furious at the way things are going. They just shake their heads at the increase in golf fees, huge fee for priority seating to watch a christmas tree lighting, the 25%increase in taxes, etc.
Well, I'm neither a big supporter nor a big detractor of "the developer", but last I checked, "the developer" did not set county tax rates, nor does "the developer" profit from them. The roads are county owned and paid for out of taxes, the other infrastructure is paid by your bond. In other parts of the country, your infrastructure is paid in the price of the home and not a separate bond. As far as current homeowners paying for infrastructure (and by this I assume you mean roads) for future Villagers, who paid for the roads where YOU live???? Your argument is akin to "I don't have any kids, so why should I pay school taxes?"
  #24  
Old 01-02-2020, 01:10 PM
Marathon Man Marathon Man is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,660
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,382 Times in 506 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
Some people never want to admit there is a problem. And comparisons to what we paid in NY or some other state are comparing apples to oranges. It would be logical to compare what we are paying in the Villages compared to similiar areas of Florida. Many people are ticked off because of the REASON for the tax increase. That is - we are paying for infrastructure for future residents that should rightly be paid by them or by the Developer. Our taxes went up about $300. Obviously its not earth shattering, but the Reason taxes went up is the reason residents are concerned. The developer is just taking advantage to increase their profit margin. Contrary to what some of the TOTV posters say that are clearly big supporters of the developer, there are many in the Villages that don't get on TOTV that are furious at the way things are going. They just shake their heads at the increase in golf fees, huge fee for priority seating to watch a christmas tree lighting, the 25%increase in taxes, etc.
Too many times, unhappy people want to label those that are happy in some way that seems to make being happy wrong (Kool-aide drinkers). It is entirely possible to be a happy resident of The Villages without being a "supporter of The Developer".

Happy people are satified with their current situation and don't have need to make a change. Unhappy people are dis-satisfied with their current situation and refuse to make a change.
  #25  
Old 01-02-2020, 01:31 PM
Quixote Quixote is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 507
Thanks: 1
Thanked 78 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Well, I'm neither a big supporter nor a big detractor of "the developer", but last I checked, "the developer" did not set county tax rates, nor does "the developer" profit from them. The roads are county owned and paid for out of taxes, the other infrastructure is paid by your bond. In other parts of the country, your infrastructure is paid in the price of the home and not a separate bond. As far as current homeowners paying for infrastructure (and by this I assume you mean roads) for future Villagers, who paid for the roads where YOU live???? Your argument is akin to "I don't have any kids, so why should I pay school taxes?"
We could not agree more. This is not to say that there may have been better ways than (speaking for myself) ten years of virtually level property taxes followed by—and we keep hearing "25%" which we question, so we go check—and calculate that our property taxes have increased 8%. That's EIGHT PERCENT! For us, about $200.

A comparison between living expenses here versus wherever 'up north' one is from is not specious from each individual's point of view. Up north our property taxes did go up $200 or more—each year—not once in 11 years! Our property taxes here are one-fourth of what they were up north on a home of approximately the same size. Then add utility expenses to the mix, starting from trash pickup to heating fuel to electricity and so forth) plus such obvious things as state income tax (none in Florida). Each of us can do our own respective history and economics—and then do the arithmetic!

We need to question who is seeking to covertly—and likely anonymously—incite Villagers? OR Someone is playing Chicken Little....

Last edited by Quixote; 01-02-2020 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Completed an incomplete sentence.
  #26  
Old 01-02-2020, 01:38 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 15,269
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,956 Times in 913 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
How can you check? Is there a "Talk of Scottsdale" site? Most communities don't have a Talk of ________, where you learn important or not so important things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
He’s pulling your chain !!!
So is the OP.
This subject was beat to death on three other threads.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #27  
Old 01-02-2020, 02:11 PM
sipops sipops is offline
Member
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 81
Thanks: 208
Thanked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
I dont live there anymore left in 2017 but was wondering how folks feel about the 25% property tax in Sumter county. I was amazed how much it was.Will Sumter never have enough money to run the county.
Mine went up nearly $900.00 between property tax and school tax.
  #28  
Old 01-02-2020, 02:19 PM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,732
Thanks: 489
Thanked 4,735 Times in 1,803 Posts
Default

Don't be a puppet to threads.




__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #29  
Old 01-02-2020, 02:37 PM
golfing eagles's Avatar
golfing eagles golfing eagles is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Meadow NY, Brooklyn, Staten Island, Auburn NY, Lake Deaton
Posts: 7,225
Thanks: 187
Thanked 4,439 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
We could not agree more. This is not to say that there may have been better ways than (speaking for myself) ten years of virtually level property taxes followed by—and we keep hearing "25%" which we question, so we go check—and calculate that our property taxes have increased 8%. That's EIGHT PERCENT! For us, about $200.

A comparison between living expenses here versus wherever 'up north' one is from is not specious from each individual's point of view. Up north our property taxes did go up $200 or more—each year—not once in 11 years! Our property taxes here are one-fourth of what they were up north on a home of approximately the same size. Then add utility expenses to the mix, starting from trash pickup to heating fuel to electricity and so forth) plus such obvious things as state income tax (none in Florida). Each of us can do our own respective history and economics—and then do the arithmetic!

We need to question who is seeking to covertly—and likely anonymously—incite Villagers? OR Someone is playing Chicken Little....
Sort of depends how you're calculating it

My COUNTY tax went from $1925.88 to $2469.96, an increase of 28.26%
My AD VALOREM tax went from $4157.18 to $4706.81, an increase of 13.22%
My TOTAL BILL, which includes bond, went from $6967.10 to $7515.41, an increase of 7.87%

Need to compare apples with apples. My county tax increased by $544.28, everything else about the same
  #30  
Old 01-02-2020, 02:52 PM
Velvet's Avatar
Velvet Velvet is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,900
Thanks: 531
Thanked 1,962 Times in 853 Posts
Default

My property tax increased 28% from last year. I don’t consider the bond as part of property tax. That is a separate item as it can be paid off.

Last edited by Velvet; 01-02-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
tax, sumter, county, property, money

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.