Tax Prep

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2022, 07:48 AM

Vote #1 TurboTax, Vote #2 - H&R Block - read bios, pick someone who is an EA (Enrolled Agent).
Old 01-12-2022, 08:02 AM
Default Taxes

Village Tax and Accounting Solutions 352-259-7053. Close to Home Depot.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I’ve used TurboTax for over 20 years. They have different versions for your needs: simple, investments, and if you have a small company. I get the premier version that does investments. In TurboTax, it asks you for your investment broker company, logs you in and captures all the relevant info needed, no need to look at all your 1099 statements. This version also does rentals I think. I just bought my 2021 version for $55 on sale
Note that if you need to do a trust tax return (Form 1041), you also need to buy TurboTax Business for about $105 on Amazon.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-14-2022 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:32 AM
Default Tax Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
how difficult? You have an LLC or a C corp? you have software which can summarized your income and expenses? Do you have inventory?

I know that your tax opinion vs your expertise might have you believe you need a high priced accountant, but what what do you think makes the return complicated?

just a finance guy who does some taxes
First, not all accountants are "high priced". I am a CPA with an active practice.
I get people coming in to me all the time I recommend do their own taxes because they are simple and they would be spending unnecessary money for me to do their return.
Especially with the fact 80% of taxpayers longer itemize.
But there are returns that should be done by someone qualified. These taxpayers have more complex issues - selling property as an example (not their residence) that because of my doing taxes for many years can save the client more money than my fee.
One respondent mentions QCD's-an excellent option for retirees. Using turbotax or HR Block doesn't educate the taxpayer about this option.
As to fees I find that my fee is sometimes the same or lower than HR Block after they added all their extras. And I don't recommend HR Block where you get your taxes prepared by someone with three weeks training. They fill in the boxes but are not proactive in asking questions or suggesting ways to reduce taxes.
I recently had a client - in the villages - running their own business making a fairly good income. My reeommedation was he elect S Corp status for their LLC. He saved $4,500 in social security taxes. Does Turbotax suggest that?
Old 01-12-2022, 09:05 AM

I had my taxes completed by Village Tax and Accounting Solutions located at 918 Rolling Acres Road Lady Lake, FL. Would recommend.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
Our Accoutant of over 30 years is hanging up his shingle. Mary and I need someone to help file our Yearly Taxes. A little more complicated than H & R Block. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Len
A good CPA is Marshall Hux who is a partner with Haliday, Bair and Hux of Leesburg.
Phone -352-787-3445
Old 01-12-2022, 09:31 AM
Default Tax Preparation

Randy Haynes has been doing our taxes. He's accurate, honest and excellent customer service. You can go to him, or if needed, he'll come to your house.
484-437-4395. RWH Tax Preparation. rwhtaxprep.com
Old 01-12-2022, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
What did you come up with when you did a GOOGLE?
He came up with a list of names and no personal recommendations from people who actually used one of those names. Which is why he came on the forum, for some helpful information about people's experiences with tax preparers.

This is one of the areas where this forum is helpful.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:48 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
What did you come up with when you did a GOOGLE?
Sounds like OP is looking for a recommendation. Google can do a list of accountants but, can't recommend one based on first-hand experience.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:56 AM

Mrs. Ellen Cronin
(352) 350-1951. In Oxford, FL, just outside TV on 301. Excellent service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
Our Accoutant of over 30 years is hanging up his shingle. Mary and I need someone to help file our Yearly Taxes. A little more complicated than H & R Block. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Len
Old 01-12-2022, 10:28 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Yes Bob is still doing taxes and has an office on 466A. His practice is currently at capacity thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Robert Bloom, CPA, used to advertise on here. Not sure if he still does. He might still be in the area.

We still use our CPA back home, but I know someone who uses Bob and is very happy with him.

I can get tax stuff together myself just fine and I know how to handle the RMD/QCD routine, but when it comes time do the actual forms, I want a CPA’s prep and sign-off.

You might want to try to track down Bob Bloom to see if he is a possibility for what you need.

Boomer
Old 01-12-2022, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres1939 View Post
Mrs. Ellen Cronin
(352) 350-1951. In Oxford, FL, just outside TV on 301. Excellent service.
I use Ellen Cronin as well since my NJ CPA retired last year. She is about $100 higher than I used to pay but I'm happy with her work last year.

She is:
Enrolled to practice before the IRS
Master of Science in Taxation
Certified Senior Adviser
NTPI Fellow
Old 01-12-2022, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Buy Turbotax.

Most accountants now just enter your data in a tax program and just do a casual review. No more having to figure out what form to use
I totally agree. I have Rental property, investments, a side gig, and a regular job. Not sure you can get much more comlicated that that if you are not running your own business. I use Turbotax and it works flawlessly. My wife used to use an outside firm to do her taxes and it was more work than us actually doing our taxes using TurboTax.
The program walks you through everything. I highly recommend it. It is WAY cheaper too.
Ed
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 01-12-2022, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
First, not all accountants are "high priced". I am a CPA with an active practice.
I get people coming in to me all the time I recommend do their own taxes because they are simple and they would be spending unnecessary money for me to do their return.
But there are returns that should be done by someone qualified. These taxpayers have more complex issues - selling property as an example (not their residence) that because of my doing taxes for many years can save the client more money than my fee.
One respondent mentions QCD's-an excellent option for retirees. Using turbotax or HR Block doesn't educate the taxpayer about this option.
As to fees I find that my fee is sometimes the same or lower than HR Block after they added all their extras. And I don't recommend HR Block where you get your taxes prepared by someone with three weeks training. They fill in the boxes but are not proactive in asking questions or suggesting ways to reduce taxes.
I recently had a client - in the villages - running their own business making a fairly good income. My reeommedation was he elect S Corp status for their LLC. He saved $4,500 in social security taxes. Does Turbotax suggest that?
That is a very well stated explanation - honest and straightforward and I agree with most of it. I think most fall under the use TurboTax catagory.
I would add that you should know about QCDs because you have seen a fee only financial planner before you retired and done your long term tax planning so you know about Roth Rollovers and QCDs and when to do them. A CPA normally won't do long term tax planning like that, although some do.

I think your most interesting point is about selling rental property as you are SPOT ON. I am actually going to be having that come up in 2026 or 2027, and I am probably going to come see you Would love to figure out a way to get around the big Gain I am going to have.
Until then, managing rental property, TurboTax works great.
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 01-12-2022, 12:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,854 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
@Hagger, excellent response and comparison of the difference between tax strategy and tax filing. No disagreement there!

Turbo tax is for tax filing. CPAs are for tax strategy.

I always assume that the tax strategy has been done, or one does not need the expertise of the CPA to answer questions, for most retirees. And this is a global web site, so I have to generalize, and that's why I asked the questions in the first post. For most non LLC non corporate filings, Turbo tax will do almost anything needed. . .

Also interesting is your response to this particular post. Many here feel the need to post when they professionally disagree with a poster. I have a mental list of professionals here who I read and don't disagree because their expertise is not my expertise, or within my professional experiences. So I very much appreciate your post to highlight the nuances of tax strategy!

So readers, please respect Haggar's posts as professionally a CPA for tax strategy which is always done prior to filing taxes, and not the day prior to filing taxes, as tax filing is just a formal, perfunctory quarterly or annual requirement/process.

I like Haggar!
Closed Thread

Tags
complicated, block, yearly, appreciated, advance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.