Tech Geek moving to the Villages questions on Internet

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2021, 12:27 PM

I'm also a retired tech guy.

Left my 1Gbit FiOS service in Oregon, which provided 2 phone lines, TV, and internet. Fast and reliable, though FiOS was originally Verizon, then Frontier, and was transitioning to Ziply when I left.

Choices in Village of Marsh Bend are limited to Comcast/Xfinity and Spectrum for cable tv/internet. T-Nobike is also marketing cell based Home internet.

I chose Spectrum, and found that the basic 200Mbps service and lowest tier cable TV satisfied my needs, despite my tech background. Reliability is the most important factor for me. I chose Spectrum because of no caps on internet usage. It's been reliable for that. Traded original 2-tuner DVR for a 6-tuner one, so happier when I need to record.

Most tv viewing is streaming, and no problems with basic 200 Mbps service.

Only deficiency is upload speeds, but that is the problem with cable internet technology.

One other thing, I don't use the wifi that Spectrum provides ($5/mo).

Instead I installed my own mesh WiFi network with several hubs spread around the Designer Iris home. Better security.

So... Your internet and tv choices are determined by the Village you choose to move into.

Related, I have ATT for cell service. When I moved here into Marsh Bend in Oct 2019, service sucked. I used my cell hotspot for Internet, and it was ok as an intern solution until Spectrum was available. I located the hotspot near the window that had the best connection. It was just under 100Mbps most of the time. Cell reception for calls varied within the home, and most of the time sucked.

In Spring 2020, ATT upgraded it's towers, and reception within the hole improved greatly, but we had learned to use WiFi calling which works great if your phone has that capability.

We also installed Panasonic Link-to-Cell cordless phones so we didn't need to have our cellphones nearby. The cordless phones act just like a convenient land line even though it's really cell service. Cellphone connects via Bluetooth to Panasonic base station, which in turn connects to cordless handsets with their proprietary wireless tech.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
--------------------------------------------
Old 07-29-2021, 03:18 PM
Default T-MObile internet

I've had TM for about 8 months now. I was on the beta program. I pay $50 a month, no data limit. DL about 100mbs. It can only get better. I had a conversation with an area manager for Comcast and he said there would be no more investment in fibre in TV. The new thing, obviously, will be OTA data reception. Depends on your location. TM will be doing 5G OTA data, Should be like a lightning bolt. Can't wait. I run 3 tvs, 2 ipads, iMac, and PC without problem.
Old 07-30-2021, 03:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1938 View Post
I've had TM for about 8 months now. I was on the beta program. I pay $50 a month, no data limit. DL about 100mbs. It can only get better. I had a conversation with an area manager for Comcast and he said there would be no more investment in fibre in TV. The new thing, obviously, will be OTA data reception. Depends on your location. TM will be doing 5G OTA data, Should be like a lightning bolt. Can't wait. I run 3 tvs, 2 ipads, iMac, and PC without problem.
Assuming you have T-Mo coverage at your location which is the downfall of any cell based data service. I am currently on one of their 30 day "testing" data accounts on my iPhone 12 Pro get 3X the data speeds in LTE than I do in so called 5G. On LTE I get 85Mbps+ DOWNLOAD but .13 (POINT 13) Mbps UPload. On thgeir alleged 5G I get maybe 12-15Mbps DOWNload and virtually ZERO upload. On my current Xfinitiy Mobile (Verizon MVNO) on LTE I get about from 50/20 to 70/30. Don't get any alleged 5G coverage here, LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. I could never deal with ANY of them as my home internet service.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-17-2021, 10:01 PM
Veteran member

OP - I feel your pain. I am also a tech geek with 43 years in IT field. I also had 1Gb AT&T fiber in GA for 5 years without 1 issue. I have 400Mb here and its terrible. Copper internet gives you decent download speeds but 1/20th of that for upload. I have a brand new house and the wiring that was put in was CAT6 but they used it for 3 phone lines (2 pairs). I rewired all the cables for rj45 and setup a 2nd router for better wifi coverage because the ISP modem/router doesn't cover the whole house.
I saved around $700 doing the terminations myself instead of the original installer wanting to come in and do it.
I have around 25 devices on my network due to whole house automation, multiple computers, iPads, iPhones, apple watches, door locks, garage doors, ecobee. and other devices
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, service, geek, tech, internet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.