Tech Geek moving to the Villages questions on Internet

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2021, 03:43 PM
Default Tech Geek moving to the Villages questions on Internet

Hi I am a Tech geek. I am looking for a house in the Villages and hope to move in soon. I am SOOOO sad that I cannot get ATT&T Gigabit service in The Villages as I have had them for a few years now in GA and love the service. No problems and great price with free HBO Max as well.

Looks like the new houses seem to only have Xfinity so I will likely have to go with that but how are the speeds as it is my understanding with Cable internet you share with other customers so you are never really getting the Highest speed advertised.

Also if and when other services become available it is worth changing?

Thanks in Advance
Old 07-26-2021, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriS View Post
Hi I am a Tech geek. I am looking for a house in the Villages and hope to move in soon. I am SOOOO sad that I cannot get ATT&T Gigabit service in The Villages as I have had them for a few years now in GA and love the service. No problems and great price with free HBO Max as well.

Looks like the new houses seem to only have Xfinity so I will likely have to go with that but how are the speeds as it is my understanding with Cable internet you share with other customers so you are never really getting the Highest speed advertised.

Thanks in Advance
Up in the "historic section" (far northeast corner, on the other side of 441/27), we can get GB service with xfinity.

Most of us don't, but it's available.

I have 100mbps service, which is sufficient for streaming, browsing, and gaming if you're into that. I just did a check with speedtest.net and it's pinging at 25, downloading at 90.78 (connected directly to my router, which is then connected to my modem - I own both, I don't rent), and upload on the slow side at 6.01 but that's about as good as you can get with this plan anyway.

I pay $50 a month for internet only, and we Roku with Youtube TV.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:27 PM

We’ve been happy with Comcast/Xfinity for years. And I’m a bit of a tech geek too. 😁
Old 07-26-2021, 05:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Comcast works well. Getting the full speed promised by the plan purchased
Old 07-26-2021, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,241 Posts

Some areas have fiber (was CenturyLink) not sure who the provider is now. If you are after a NEW house, then you will be limited to the service in those ares, if you are looking at resales, you may have more options.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,626 Times in 5,202 Posts

I just did a download speed test on my Xfinity internet. It was 380 mbps. I don't know how much speed you need but, I have never had a speed issue.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Paying for 400Mbps getting almost 500Mbps without fail on Comcrap. Other than the fact I can't stand the company I have had no problems with their cable & internet service since I am able to resolve any issues this side of the demarc. There are some areas with Century Link 1Gbps fiber here and you can tell by the ONT on the side of the house even if not subbed. My sister's home has it about 2 miles south of me. I am just on the North side of 466A and Comcrap is my only option for better than 20Mbps service (Century Link circa 1999 DSL) she is just on the south side of 466A. Note that Xfinity also has a 1.2Tb data cap so I also took their unlimited service which alacarte cost big bucks ($50iirc) but if you lease their modem it costs only $10 extra which is cheaper than using your own modem and paying the unlimited data fee by about 1/2. And YES, I do need the unlimited service for those who are going to tell me I don't.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Paying for 400Mbps getting almost 500Mbps without fail on Comcrap. Other than the fact I can't stand the company I have had no problems with their cable & internet service since I am able to resolve any issues this side of the demarc. There are some areas with Century Link 1Gbps fiber here and you can tell by the ONT on the side of the house even if not subbed. My sister's home has it about 2 miles south of me. I am just on the North side of 466A and Comcrap is my only option for better than 20Mbps service (Century Link circa 1999 DSL) she is just on the south side of 466A.
The only downside to comcast that I've personally experienced, is having to renegotiate the price before your year of "discounted promotion" ends. Trying to talk with anyone there requires more patience than I have, so I end up annoyed by the time someone actually answers the phone.

I always get what I want from them though. It's just an hour of aggravation every year that I would prefer to do without.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The only downside to comcast that I've personally experienced, is having to renegotiate the price before your year of "discounted promotion" ends. Trying to talk with anyone there requires more patience than I have, so I end up annoyed by the time someone actually answers the phone.

I always get what I want from them though. It's just an hour of aggravation every year that I would prefer to do without.
I never talk to them (or Fios or DirecTV or Dish in those days) at renewal time. That's the biggest mistake. ONLY online. I always make sure I have 2 years "new subscriber" contracts by switching between my name and my wife's name every 2 years. Service has never been out for more than an hour when switching accounts, in fact last time (Feb 2021) never had any downtime. Been doing that without issue here and for as long as cable/dsl/fiber had been available up north when we lived there. Was a DirecTV MDU tech support trainer up north for 5 years so never paid for that anyway but learned lots of tricks.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Depending on where you end up, Spectrum might also be an option

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 07-27-2021, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriS View Post

Thanks in Advance
Well I can't say you are alone. We are also relocating and I faced the same problem I have high end requirements for my needs. At our current house I had to put in 4 runs of cat5e just to guarantee the coverage in a 2 story.

So while my wife picks houses by "Christmas Decorability" mine is based on 3 things 1 being "what's my speed" Due to my job plus some other items I can't accept 1GB "maybe" which is Xfinity read the fine print. So basically over the last couple months I saw a listing, ran the address and most times moved on.

Centurylink provides 1GB fiber without degraded speeds due to having me living next door. (trust me I can and have soaked a line) I'm also upgrading my wifi routers so that I can rely more on wireless rather than hard wired since coming back to Florida I find that getting someone to snake a wall isn't all that easy to find.

As for service, I've had comcast/xfinity, spectrum, AT&T, etc have not had CenturyLink. I can say that xfinity was the worst of those. I have a habit of when there are issues I troubleshoot it myself and then call them to tell them where they have a problem - Spectrum will listen if you get above Level 1 support, AT&T doesn't really listen to anyone, and xfinity didn't even get it on level 2 support.

Good luck with it, I find it frustrating. I did find out that there is additional fiber being and to be laid by CenturyLink in areas that currently do not have their fiber. I would assume that with that there will be others at the same time.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:41 AM

Comcast/Xfinity can deliver the goods and they certainly will deliver a hefty bill. Speed isn't super important to me but an unlimited data cap is, they are getting $130 a month from me ( internet only, unlimited data and reasonably good speed). They had no better offerings at the time i needed service but suggested i call back to see if i could get a better rate in the future. I will be looking into the t-mobile home service when it becomes available.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:25 AM
Veteran member
Default Comcast upload speed

The biggest obstacle with Comcast is the limit imposed on upload speeds by cable. I have their 200mb service and it consistantly meets that (with almost no downtime). However, upload speed is generally around 10-11 mb. When you're trying to sync between your devices and the cloud, for example, it really hobbles you.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

If you are in an area where CenturyLink has fiber installed, you can get 1GB service for a flat rate of $65 for life, no contract, no taxes, and they give you the modem.

I've had both Xfinity and CenturyLink. Both work very well. When my contract ran out, Xfinity raised my rate by over $50/month... and offered me a "deal" at only $25 more than I was paying. I declined, and got 1GB service for $10 less than Xfinity was offering for 200GB service.

I get 930MB speeds over a hard wired connection, and 560MB over wireless.
Old 07-27-2021, 07:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I specifically asked CenturyLink a couple of months ago if the 1 gigabit per second service was "one price for life" and they said "no". They went on to explain that the "one price for life" was limited to their 100 megabit per second or lower service. Do you know if they had a change in policy and you are grandfathered in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
If you are in an area where CenturyLink has fiber installed, you can get 1GB service for a flat rate of $65 for life, no contract, no taxes, and they give you the modem.

I've had both Xfinity and CenturyLink. Both work very well. When my contract ran out, Xfinity raised my rate by over $50/month... and offered me a "deal" at only $25 more than I was paying. I declined, and got 1GB service for $10 less than Xfinity was offering for 200GB service.

I get 930MB speeds over a hard wired connection, and 560MB over wireless.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, service, geek, tech, internet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.