Tech Geek moving to the Villages questions on Internet

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2021, 07:54 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

What are "you" doing to need speeds greater than, say, 100mbps???

Old 07-27-2021, 08:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Depending on where you end up, Spectrum might also be an option
Have enjoyed Spectrum for years.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriS View Post
Hi I
Looks like the new houses seem to only have Xfinity so I will likely have to go with that but how are the speeds as it is my understanding with Cable internet you share with other customers so you are never really getting the Highest speed advertised.
)
FYI - The new areas have fiber to the post and coax from the post to the house.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
If you are in an area where CenturyLink has fiber installed, you can get 1GB service for a flat rate of $65 for life, no contract, no taxes, and they give you the modem.

I've had both Xfinity and CenturyLink. Both work very well. When my contract ran out, Xfinity raised my rate by over $50/month... and offered me a "deal" at only $25 more than I was paying. I declined, and got 1GB service for $10 less than Xfinity was offering for 200GB service.

I get 930MB speeds over a hard wired connection, and 560MB over wireless.
Sounds like Century link will be my best option IF it is available at the new address. I am looking to buy NEW so I might not have that option but hopefully it would become available at a later date.

I work from home and have lots of smart devices so I need good speed and reliable service. I had Comcast in the past and they were not as reliable as I would like and the customer service was the pits but looks like I might be stuck with them at least for awhile
Old 07-27-2021, 10:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,191 Times in 761 Posts

Comcast, Spectrum, depending where you are located, also Verizon and T Mobile now offer wireless internet in the Villages.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
What are "you" doing to need speeds greater than, say, 100mbps???

I work from home and I have a lot of smart home devices. I don't need over a Gig but I do need reliable service and good speeds with unlimited data as I stream all my TV as well.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:08 AM
Veteran member

Based on this thread I decided to do a speed test. We have Xfinity "up to 400 mbs" and my computer (wireless, NOT connected wired) achieved ~ 420 download speed last night.

In two homes over a period of 3 years we have had zero issues with the actual service. Customer support leaves a lot to be desired (more so since the pandemic but it was never great) but once it up and running it works beautifully.

We had Spectrum in Pinellas County (both when it was Brighthouse and after it became Spectrum) and I was very happy with both the service and the customer support. If they were available in our area I would choose them over Xfinity for the customer support.

You should be fine with either of these two companies, once services are up and running. Good luck with your move.

kathy
Old 07-27-2021, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriS View Post
I work from home and I have a lot of smart home devices. I don't need over a Gig but I do need reliable service and good speeds with unlimited data as I stream all my TV as well.
We gots the smarties as well. We stream as well. Gaming is great.

BUT WHAT is the need for 200, 400, 800 mbps speed??? What drives this??
Old 07-27-2021, 11:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
We gots the smarties as well. We stream as well. Gaming is great.

BUT WHAT is the need for 200, 400, 800 mbps speed??? What drives this??
number of devices, type of devices, etc. example I run 4 laptops myself, add to that webex video and voice, then you can add the TVs, cloud, etc. You also have to consider fall off and 'guaranteed rate of speed' .
Old 07-27-2021, 11:19 AM

In my experience with a lot of devices on the network and streaming TV if you do not have high enough bandwidth you get a good amount of buffering and slowdowns. I also need unlimited data which usually only comes with the higher speed packages.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
number of devices, type of devices, etc. example I run 4 laptops myself, add to that webex video and voice, then you can add the TVs, cloud, etc. You also have to consider fall off and 'guaranteed rate of speed' .
High crazy speeds are over sold and lots of people fall for it.

What can I do with megabit speeds?
Megabit speeds are the standard measurement for broadband connections. Here’s how you can stream, game and work from home with certain speed ranges:

Streaming
Typically you can stream in standard definition with speeds up to 3 Mbps. To stream in 4K or Ultra HD, you’ll need speeds up to 25 Mbps. Streaming services will offer speed recommendations to enjoy the platform in the highest quality. Here are the minimum speeds you need to stream uninterrupted using some of today’s most popular streaming services:

Netflix

3 Mbps to stream in standard definition
5 Mbps to stream in high definition
25 Mbps to stream in HDR or 4K
Hulu

3 Mbps to view on-demand titles
8 Mbps to view live TV
AT&T TV NOW

2.5 Mbps to 7.5 Mbps to stream in HD via mobile device
12 Mbps to stream via web browser at home
YouTube TV

3 Mbps to stream in standard definition
7 Mbps to stream on one device in HD
13 Mbps to stream in HD on multiple devices
Gaming
Speed recommendations for gaming will vary by the types of games you typically enjoy, but you’ll at least need a minimum of 4 – 8 Mbps in a single user household. A great gaming experience is often dependent on the quality of your internet connection and data transfer rate, so experienced gamers will often go for the fastest speeds they can afford and a connection type with historically low latency.

See more details on minimum speed recommendations by gaming type and how you can maximize your gaming experience.

Working from home

The right internet speeds are paramount to a successful work from home setup, especially during COVID-19’s social distancing restraints. The speeds you require will depend on the type of work you do, but if you plan on video conferencing, checking emails or transferring large files, there are some minimum speed requirements to ensure you can successfully make your home office work for you:

2 Mbps to host a single, dual or triple screen Zoom call
3 – 4 Mbps to email and utilize basic computer programs like Microsoft Word
10 Mbps to host a group Skype video call
40+ Mbps to transfer large files

Last edited by dewilson58; 07-27-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,901 Times in 914 Posts

If you want a used house with spectrum, cable of fiber, hard wired throughout, with 8-9 drops, 4 gang outlets at 1/2 the drops, wifi from a ceiling access point, 1 gb router and switches, and whole house surge protection, I have one for sale just for you at $799K

two years old, its a steal with today's availability!

sportsguy
Old 07-27-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
If you want a used house with spectrum, cable of fiber, hard wired throughout, with 8-9 drops, 4 gang outlets at 1/2 the drops, wifi from a ceiling access point, 1 gb router and switches, and whole house surge protection, I have one for sale just for you at $799K

two years old, its a steal with today's availability!

sportsguy
LOL if only I could afford that price tag As soon as I hit the lotto I will let you know.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
If you want a used house with spectrum, cable of fiber, hard wired throughout, with 8-9 drops, 4 gang outlets at 1/2 the drops, wifi from a ceiling access point, 1 gb router and switches, and whole house surge protection, I have one for sale just for you at $799K two years old, its a steal with today's availability! sportsguy
Any hidden cameras??
Old 07-27-2021, 02:48 PM

To determine what is really available at a given address within The Villages you have to use the individual service provider websites with an address. Comcast Xfinity has the most coverage, Spectrum is available in some areas, CenturyLink is available in some areas and I believe AT&T is available in some areas.
Be careful what type os service is being offered — cable vs fiber optic vs DSL.
Only 2 services are available where I live — century DSL (far too slow) and Comcast cable. I have Comcast 200MB service and it has been fine.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, service, geek, tech, internet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.