Tech Geek moving to the Villages questions on Internet

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2021, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarOnMyTongue View Post
Comcast/Xfinity can deliver the goods and they certainly will deliver a hefty bill. Speed isn't super important to me but an unlimited data cap is, they are getting $130 a month from me ( internet only, unlimited data and reasonably good speed). They had no better offerings at the time i needed service but suggested i call back to see if i could get a better rate in the future. I will be looking into the t-mobile home service when it becomes available.
Really? You should rethink what you are getting from them. Take basic TV even if you don't use it. I have Xfinity "double play" (TV/ISP) I pay $165 inc all taxes with 400Mbps ISP (in reality 500) 125 channel TV, 1 4K DVR in L/R, 1 4K remote box for B/R, their Gateway router rental AND NO DATA CAP then I get a $10/month discount off that for having Xfinity Mobile (Verizon MVNO) for 2 phones at about 1/2 what any of the others charge for a total of $155/month.. This was actually $5/mo CHEAPER than my first 2yr contract here for identical service plus got a $250 Xfinity Mobile cash rebate AND a $100 Xfinity cash rebate (this was in Feb which was my 2nd 2yr contract here). Could have gotten the gig service for another $15 but that I didn't need. Rinse and repeat in 2 yrs.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.

Last edited by EdFNJ; 07-27-2021 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Fixed a price error
Old 07-27-2021, 03:16 PM
Location: Tamarind Grove, The Villages, Florida. Santa Cruz, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriS View Post
Hi I am a Tech geek. I am looking for a house in the Villages and hope to move in soon. I am SOOOO sad that I cannot get ATT&T Gigabit service in The Villages as I have had them for a few years now in GA and love the service. No problems and great price with free HBO Max as well.

Looks like the new houses seem to only have Xfinity so I will likely have to go with that but how are the speeds as it is my understanding with Cable internet you share with other customers so you are never really getting the Highest speed advertised.

Also if and when other services become available it is worth changing?

Thanks in Advance
We just closed on a place that is 11 years old that has both fibre and Comcast cable available. We are going with the fiber service. (Which is no longer centurylink but quantum). I have had lots of reliability issues with Comcast in the past so won't use them for Internet service. The install is tomorrow so I can at least let you know my initial thoughts after some testing.

Last edited by btwalker; 07-27-2021 at 03:38 PM. Reason: adding content
Old 07-27-2021, 03:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
High crazy speeds are over sold and lots of people fall for it.

What can I do with megabit speeds?
Megabit speeds are the standard measurement for broadband connections. Here’s how you can stream, game and work from home with certain speed ranges:

Streaming
Typically you can stream in standard definition with speeds up to 3 Mbps. To stream in 4K or Ultra HD, you’ll need speeds up to 25 Mbps. Streaming services will offer speed recommendations to enjoy the platform in the highest quality. Here are the minimum speeds you need to stream uninterrupted using some of today’s most popular streaming services:

Netflix

3 Mbps to stream in standard definition
5 Mbps to stream in high definition
25 Mbps to stream in HDR or 4K
Hulu

3 Mbps to view on-demand titles
8 Mbps to view live TV
AT&T TV NOW

2.5 Mbps to 7.5 Mbps to stream in HD via mobile device
12 Mbps to stream via web browser at home
YouTube TV

7 Mbps to stream on one device in HD
13 Mbps to stream in HD on multiple devices
Gaming
Speed recommendations for gaming will vary by the types of games you typically enjoy, but you’ll at least need a minimum of 4 – 8 Mbps in a single user household. A great gaming experience is often dependent on the quality of your internet connection and data transfer rate, so experienced gamers will often go for the fastest speeds they can afford and a connection type with historically low latency.

See more details on minimum speed recommendations by gaming type and how you can maximize your gaming experience.

Working from home

The right internet speeds are paramount to a successful work from home setup, especially during COVID-19’s social distancing restraints. The speeds you require will depend on the type of work you do, but if you plan on video conferencing, checking emails or transferring large files, there are some minimum speed requirements to ensure you can successfully make your home office work for you:

2 Mbps to host a single, dual or triple screen Zoom call
3 – 4 Mbps to email and utilize basic computer programs like Microsoft Word
10 Mbps to host a group Skype video call
40+ Mbps to transfer large files
If you haven't figured it out yet I'm in IT, don't really need an explanation. I think after 43 years on all levels I have a good grasp on what I need.

By the way those numbers are nice but not real. it leaves out much other data that is required to know what line someone needs.

Thanks.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:53 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
I think after 43 years on all levels I have a good grasp on what I need.
Thanks.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:15 PM
Sage

What all that leaves out is the amount of **TIME** it takes to download (as an example) a 32 Gigabyte file or a 1 Gigabyte file for that matter which has absolutely no bearing on what devices you have. If one downloads a lot of files higher speed is most important if time is important. Also the price difference was $10 on my plan from basic 100Mbps to 400Mbps and since I don't smoke, drink, gamble, pay for hookers or buy illegal drugs the $10 was well worth the diff. Why do people buy $50,000 cars instead of $24,000 cars or Million Dollar homes vs. $300K homes or jacked up Golf Carts instead of old fuddy duddy Yamamama ones? Because they can. Do they REALLY need them? In 99% of the cases I think not.

Quote:
High crazy speeds are over sold and lots of people fall for it.

What can I do with megabit speeds?
Megabit speeds are the standard measurement for broadband connections. Here’s how you can stream, game and work from home with certain speed ranges:

Streaming
Typically you can stream in standard definition with speeds up to 3 Mbps. To stream in 4K or Ultra HD, you’ll need speeds up to 25 Mbps. Streaming services will offer speed recommendations to enjoy the platform in the highest quality. Here are the minimum speeds you need to stream uninterrupted using some of today’s most popular streaming services:

Netflix

5 Mbps to stream in high definition
25 Mbps to stream in HDR or 4K
Hulu

3 Mbps to view on-demand titles
8 Mbps to view live TV
AT&T TV NOW

2.5 Mbps to 7.5 Mbps to stream in HD via mobile device
12 Mbps to stream via web browser at home
YouTube TV

7 Mbps to stream on one device in HD
13 Mbps to stream in HD on multiple devices
Gaming
Speed recommendations for gaming will vary by the types of games you typically enjoy, but you’ll at least need a minimum of 4 – 8 Mbps in a single user household. A great gaming experience is often dependent on the quality of your internet connection and data transfer rate, so experienced gamers will often go for the fastest speeds they can afford and a connection type with historically low latency.

See more details on minimum speed recommendations by gaming type and how you can maximize your gaming experience.

Working from home

The right internet speeds are paramount to a successful work from home setup, especially during COVID-19’s social distancing restraints. The speeds you require will depend on the type of work you do, but if you plan on video conferencing, checking emails or transferring large files, there are some minimum speed requirements to ensure you can successfully make your home office work for you:

2 Mbps to host a single, dual or triple screen Zoom call
3 – 4 Mbps to email and utilize basic computer programs like Microsoft Word
10 Mbps to host a group Skype video call
40+ Mbps to transfer large files
Old 07-27-2021, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

I work in IT as well, and the time factor is noticeable during my work during the day, meaning the amount of time it takes to transfer files and data i can tell if the speed is low or high. . . because fiber is generally NOT assymetrical, meaning cable is high transfer down, and slow transfer up, and sending large files up requires the high bandwidth. . . fiber is much prefered when sending multi gigabyte files to the office servers. . .

that's the reason why IT people sometimes need/want/desire high internet speeds. . . which most retired people generally don't require. . . sorry dewilson. . .

finance guy in IT
Old 07-27-2021, 09:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
I work in IT as well, and the time factor is noticeable during my work during the day, meaning the amount of time it takes to transfer files and data i can tell if the speed is low or high. . . because fiber is generally NOT assymetrical, meaning cable is high transfer down, and slow transfer up, and sending large files up requires the high bandwidth. . . fiber is much prefered when sending multi gigabyte files to the office servers. . .

that's the reason why IT people sometimes need/want/desire high internet speeds. . . which most retired people generally don't require. . . sorry dewilson. . .

finance guy in IT

Yea, and I soooooo miss Fios!
Old 07-28-2021, 04:55 AM

I have had bad experience w/Xfinity - when I moved south of 44 - so happy to discover they have Spectrum - not one issue - and no contract.
Old 07-28-2021, 05:57 AM

We have two streaming devices (2 TVs and no cable. Just internet). Husband works from home with zoom calls. We each have our own iPads and phones all in the same network. Which is spectrum 200. But sometimes I can get up to 300 on speed test.

We stream 7000 live channels on our sticks. Works pretty good.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:09 AM

I have Century link fiber Gigabit. Get about 400 mbps off wireless. Free equipment, free install, no problems ever. Had for three years. Cost 65 per month. Check their website to see if your address is served with fiber gigabit. Also they guarantee never to raise the price. I live off Buena Vista north of Savannah Center. Also a geek. Best regards.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
and this is why I always regret chiming in on a forum, there's always someone that really doesn't get it but has to make the comments like they do.

I guess I get to start my 100 reasons I hate The Villages list. Who knows maybe just maybe someone will change that someday.

I'm out, this is ridiculous.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

I'm an ex high tech geek in the IT sector for over 43 years. There is nothing liker fiber. I had 1000M AT&T fiber for over 5 years before moving here 2 weeks ago. I have a new house and I went with xfinity with 400M speed.
Most people don't realize that fiber is a much better transport than copper, it is quieter if streaming music, and with fiber, you get the same speed up or down. My 400M speed gets me 400M+ down (down from that during the day) and 20M up on a good day.
The other thing to watch out for is your house will probably not be wired for ethernet. My house, they used cat 6 cable but is terminated for phone (using 2 pairs of wire). You would have to get each cable re-terminated for ethernet.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:17 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
No "sorry" needed at all.
Enjoy your opinions.

Wiz did bits & bites for 40 years.
I had IT departments report to me for ~40 years.
You hit it on the head........"wants & desires".
IT "wants & desires" were rarely a need, in my experience.

Very, Very few Villagers need crazy speeds, it's over sold.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Not exactly. TCP/IP packets are sent down the media with error detection and retransmission (all out failure, notwithstanding). You are guaranteed correct data and the data is digital. In The Villages, most people receive internet access via fiber trunks with coax to the house. The exceptions are those in the older sections with DSL over POTS and those with fiber all the way to the house. Whether the last 50 feet from the fiber trunk to your house is fiber or coax won't matter.

You are not guaranteed the same upload and download speed with fiber - it depends on the vendor and the service. For example, I have CenturyLink fiber to the house with 80 mbps download and 40 mbps upload.

Any house constructed within the last decade (or two) most likely has cat 5e or better in the walls. Rewiring the ends to use all 4 pairs for ethernet is trivial to do. Most people don't use ethernet since WiFi is fast enough and reliable enough and easy. The only place I use it is the home run from the ONT to the room where my router is located.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I'm an ex high tech geek in the IT sector for over 43 years. There is nothing liker fiber. I had 1000M AT&T fiber for over 5 years before moving here 2 weeks ago. I have a new house and I went with xfinity with 400M speed.
Most people don't realize that fiber is a much better transport than copper, it is quieter if streaming music, and with fiber, you get the same speed up or down. My 400M speed gets me 400M+ down (down from that during the day) and 20M up on a good day.
The other thing to watch out for is your house will probably not be wired for ethernet. My house, they used cat 6 cable but is terminated for phone (using 2 pairs of wire). You would have to get each cable re-terminated for ethernet.

Last edited by tuccillo; 07-28-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 06:47 AM

You can get century link for your internet service and they are fiber in most newer parts of TV and offer 1 gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriS View Post
Hi I am a Tech geek. I am looking for a house in the Villages and hope to move in soon. I am SOOOO sad that I cannot get ATT&T Gigabit service in The Villages as I have had them for a few years now in GA and love the service. No problems and great price with free HBO Max as well.

Looks like the new houses seem to only have Xfinity so I will likely have to go with that but how are the speeds as it is my understanding with Cable internet you share with other customers so you are never really getting the Highest speed advertised.

Also if and when other services become available it is worth changing?

Thanks in Advance
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, service, geek, tech, internet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.